Jump to content
Sinner-to-Saint

League Reconstruction 20/21 season

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

That particular poster has a bee in his bonnet about it, but there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest that Sky have any intention of renegotiating the new TV deal, nor is it clear why they would have any grounds to do so as long as the SPFL deliver what has been paid for.

3 hours ago, ahemps said:

Are Sky wanting to renegotiate the TV deal which starts next season? I have seen and heard lots of talk about TV companies looking at their deals with the top leagues in Europe but never seen anything about the Sky-SPFL deal.

You're whistling in the dark Craig. You're normally quite rational, but on this point you're in denial. Are Killie gagging more than most for that money that was scheduled for August?

Ahemps - of course SKY will take the opportunity to chip the TV deal. They're losing subscribers and advertising revenue.They are being offered games that will be behind closed doors for part of the season - games with no atmosphere that that will get even more paltry viewing figures from England. Timings might need to change. They might already have thought they bid too much in the first place. No danger they're just going to carry on and pay SPFL the previously agreed £30m.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

It’s really a fantastic rant.  Spectacularly ending with claiming he’s not trying to get rid of clubs but they should find their level. they have Gordon, and have been playing at that level comfortably for a very long time.

His rant is literally why this GIF was created...

890107858_source(4).gif.146eae7a8b87e13d46fac49b214ffd30.gif

2 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

You're whistling in the dark Craig. You're normally quite rational, but on this point you're in denial. Are Killie gagging more than most for that money that was scheduled for August?

Ahemps - of course SKY will take the opportunity to chip the TV deal. They're losing subscribers and advertising revenue.They are being offered games that will be behind closed doors for part of the season - games with no atmosphere that that will get even more paltry viewing figures from England. Timings might need to change. They might already have thought they bid too much in the first place. No danger they're just going to carry on and pay SPFL the previously agreed £30m.

Theyve signed a contract. If the SPFL fulfill their part by starting by a certain date, how exactly are you expecting Sky to get out that contract?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Does the start of a season come down to a vote though?

If you need clubs to agree to do so under special conditions that remove the majority of their income then obviously yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

His rant is literally why this GIF was created...

890107858_source(4).gif.146eae7a8b87e13d46fac49b214ffd30.gif

Theyve signed a contract. If the SPFL fulfill their part by starting by a certain date, how exactly are you expecting Sky to get out that contract?

Very,very few contracts are absolutely watertight. If one party is no longer happy with the deal, any decent lawyer will find the loopholes. This will be particularly so if the product would be viewed as materially different by a reasonable person. Football matches without crowds is not what either party envisaged. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ahemps said:

Scotland has too many teams in the league system

Why is argument repeated so frequently, as if it's self-evident? What's the logic behind this? How much does a Brechin City suck out of the League's coffers each year? £16,000? You could pay 24 clubs that amount every season and still not match Neil Doncaster's salary. How much does Brechin City contribute in return? And by that I don't mean producing players for big teams (Strachan's sole criterion). I mean in in an afternoon's entertainment, in decent away days, in local employment, in raising local identity and community cohesion? All in all it qualifies as pretty good value.

Anyway, he's got some nerve talking about value for money, when you think about what he was paid as Scotland manager to pontificate about genetics.

 

Edited by Mr Heliums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pet Jeden said:

Very,very few contracts are absolutely watertight. If one party is no longer happy with the deal, any decent lawyer will find the loopholes. This will be particularly so if the product would be viewed as materially different by a reasonable person. Football matches without crowds is not what either party envisaged. 

Considering Sky set the benchmark by not renegotiating a deal to show the Bundesliga, and are paying the exact same to show closed door games as they expected to pay for games with crowds, I'm not really sure what "loophole" they can find.

Contracts are contracts, it doesnt matter if its Scottish football you're showing or Latvian. Sky agreed to show German football behind closed doors under an existing "with crowd" contract, so they cannot change that for Scotland.

If Scottish football breaches the contract, then that changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Why is argument repeated so frequently, as if it's self-evident? What's the logic behind this? How much does a Brechin City suck out of the League's coffers each year? £16,000? You could pay 24 clubs that amount every season and still not match Neil Doncaster's salary. How much does Brechin City contribute in return? And by that I don't mean producing players for big teams (Strachan's sole criterion). I mean in in an afternoon's entertainment, in decent away days, in local employment, in raising local identity and community cohesion? All in all it qualifies as pretty good value for money.

He's got some nerve talking about value for money, when you think about what he was paid as Scotland manager to talk about genetics.

 

And let us not forget his equating fans abusing a convicted sex offender with the abuse given to players for being non white.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Considering Sky set the benchmark by not renegotiating a deal to show the Bundesliga, and are paying the exact same to show closed door games as they expected to pay for games with crowds, I'm not really sure what "loophole" they can find.

Contracts are contracts, it doesnt matter if its Scottish football you're showing or Latvian. Sky agreed to show German football behind closed doors under an existing "with crowd" contract, so they cannot change that for Scotland.

If Scottish football breaches the contract, then that changes.

Dream on. 1. That's the fag end of the current season they are showing.  2. It's the only football in Europe available to show. 3. It's the Bundesliga - they will be desperate to keep in with them - it's not our diddy league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pet Jeden said:

Dream on. 1. That's the fag end of the current season they are showing.  2. It's the only football in Europe available to show. 3. It's the Bundesliga - they will be desperate to keep in with them - it's not our diddy league. 

They have a contract signed when crowds were at games.

They stood by that contract when crowds weren't allowed at games.

The rest of your post is just absolute fucking drivel. I highly, highly, doubt you can walk away from a business contract you signed because of personal preference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Does the start of a season come down to a vote though?

The SPFL will not be in control of their own destiny, the clinical opinions of Holyrood's scientific advisor and the SFA medical officer topped by Sturgeon's whim will determine when the SPFL can consider organising next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ahemps said:

I actually think he has some good points. You can dislike him but that doesn't mean he's wrong on everything. Scotland has too many teams in the league system, that to me is obvious and if it wasn't for "the way it's always been" we could streamline our professional setup. No other country in Europe with a similar population to our as anywhere near the volume of league teams we have.

There is nothing wrong with playing at a level your resources place you at, in fact it would be better for everyone. There are many teams in our league with smaller crowds than a lot of the ex junior teams. Teams like Brechin would be better competing with Banks o Dee and the like than being in the same league system as the Old Firm..

No, he has zero good points.

He's an old tit who needs to sit down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct,the government with its scientific 'proof' alongside vaccines, low death and new case rates,will drive things along.Unlike the English Prem,the Scottish return isn't driven by BIG money deals etc. Would hazard a guess that clubs and players want to return,but only when totally safe and coz of the distancing thing I'd say crowd limits of a % of the  capacity would apply. Will we feel  100% safe in going to games ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They have a contract signed when crowds were at games.

They stood by that contract when crowds weren't allowed at games.

The rest of your post is just absolute fucking drivel. I highly, highly, doubt you can walk away from a business contract you signed because of personal preference.

Cute

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ahemps said:

I actually think he has some good points. You can dislike him but that doesn't mean he's wrong on everything. Scotland has too many teams in the league system, that to me is obvious and if it wasn't for "the way it's always been" we could streamline our professional setup. No other country in Europe with a similar population to our as anywhere near the volume of league teams we have.

There is nothing wrong with playing at a level your resources place you at, in fact it would be better for everyone. There are many teams in our league with smaller crowds than a lot of the ex junior teams. Teams like Brechin would be better competing with Banks o Dee and the like than being in the same league system as the Old Firm..

Probably half a dozen at most, Albion Rovers, Annan, Cowdenbeath, Edinburgh City , Stranraer and perhaps Brechin . Apart from the Pollok none of the ex juniors attendances are that great, Kelty and Bonnyrigg would be averaging about 500 if the season had been completed and even the mighty Talbot seemed to be getting attendances of 3-400 for league games this season.

There is also the fact that the likes of Brechin, Cowdenbeath and Stranraer have spent a fair amount of time outside the bottom division recently outperforming better supported teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They have a contract signed when crowds were at games.

They stood by that contract when crowds weren't allowed at games.

The rest of your post is just absolute fucking drivel. I highly, highly, doubt you can walk away from a business contract you signed because of personal preference.

Do you really think there would be a clause in the contract specifying crowds? Were Sky the only people in the world to foresee the lockdown?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

Do you really think there would be a clause in the contract specifying crowds? Were Sky the only people in the world to foresee the lockdown?

Of course there isnt, its @Pet Jeden who's spent the past month claiming the Sky deal is on the verge of collapsing because of that, not me.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lebowski said:

I'd say that the team bringing through the last Scottish player to win the Champions League being Queen's Park negates quite a bit of his argument there.

 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with teams being semi professional. He's talking about England and the national league. That's the clubs 93rd to 112th in their football. Adjust Scotlands population for England and the sides at the bottom of our leagues would be 400th or so in their pyramid. Are the sides at that level professional to the extent he's talking about in England, I don't think so. They're at a much much lower level than the Scottish ones playing wise, and their crowds are worse.

 

Us existing next to England fucking warps people's brains.

 

In England the 400th.-odd team would be playing in the 8th.-tier of their pyramid. Average attendances vary from 820 at Guernsey, 607 at Hastings, down to 54 at FC Romania.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Folk see the big supports junior teams take to Scottish cup games and inexplicably think it's representative of their usual attendances.

A very silly line of logic considering that right up the pyramid every team, bar Celtic and Sevco, will take vastly increased numbers to certain cup ties (most notably semi finals and finals).

Edited by DA Baracus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lebowski said:

I'd say that the team bringing through the last Scottish player to win the Champions League being Queen's Park negates quite a bit of his argument there.

 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with teams being semi professional. He's talking about England and the national league. That's the clubs 93rd to 112th in their football. Adjust Scotlands population for England and the sides at the bottom of our leagues would be 400th or so in their pyramid. Are the sides at that level professional to the extent he's talking about in England, I don't think so. They're at a much much lower level than the Scottish ones playing wise, and their crowds are worse.

 

Us existing next to England fucking warps people's brains.

 

If you follow hugely experienced Europe-wide groundhopper, Leo Hoenig, you'll know that he has a fairly accurate theory that team/match quality bears a strong positive corelation with average attendances, wherever you go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The DA said:

Lobby Dossar has already explained - Sky have exclusive rights.  They're only allowed to show 48 matches plus play-offs but NOBODY else is allowed to show the other 200+ matches in Scotland (UK?) without Sky's permission, and a likely renegotiation of the contract.

Wasting

your

time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...