Jump to content
Sinner-to-Saint

League Reconstruction 20/21 season

Recommended Posts

They're the exclusive TV broadcaster. They don't have streaming rights.


It seems reasonable to assume that the deal prevents clubs streaming live games to UK customers because otherwise they would already be doing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not by my reading of it
“We’re particularly pleased that we have been able to agree a deal for the Ladbrokes Premiership matches on an exclusive basis with a single live broadcast partner.
"Broadcaster" look it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

It seems reasonable to assume that the deal prevents clubs streaming live games to UK customers because otherwise they would already be doing it.

 

No it doesn't because 3pm games were banned from being on TV or streamed in the UK. Now they aren't.

 

Just to expand on this point, the reason clubs don't show their games on the Internet is because they think (probably correctly) that it would batter their attendance figures.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

You're whistling in the dark Craig. You're normally quite rational, but on this point you're in denial. Are Killie gagging more than most for that money that was scheduled for August?

Ahemps - of course SKY will take the opportunity to chip the TV deal. They're losing subscribers and advertising revenue.They are being offered games that will be behind closed doors for part of the season - games with no atmosphere that that will get even more paltry viewing figures from England. Timings might need to change. They might already have thought they bid too much in the first place. No danger they're just going to carry on and pay SPFL the previously agreed £30m.

This has already been covered a lot already, but they have agreed a deal with the SPFL to be the exclusive broadcaster for the league, and the contracts will already be signed and sealed. If the SPFL comply with that contract by providing Sky with what was originally agreed on the schedule originally agreed then it is hard to imagine it would be straightforward for Sky to break that contract. Any attempt to do so would likely cost them a fortune in legal fees, as well as the loss of goodwill from the SPFL and the Scottish public in general. Doing that for the sake of a few million quid would seem unlikely to me.

Obviously nobody on here is privy to the exact details of the deal, but I haven't heard a single thing from any SPFL source to suggest that it's in any jeopardy, and the actions of the league don't suggest that either. The plan to get the Premiership playing behind closed doors in August is almost entirely in order to preserve the deal, it seems likely to me that if it wasn't for this broadcasting deal the clubs would prefer to wait around until we could get some sort of crowds back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Not by my reading of it

“We’re particularly pleased that we have been able to agree a deal for the Ladbrokes Premiership matches on an exclusive basis with a single live broadcast partner.

Does that mean they can't remove the word exclusive for their partners to help them out or are they going to be dicks about it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Arrogant, deluded, sneering and nasty bullshit from massive moron Gordon Strachan;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52797428

What a p***k. Includes obligatory meaningless reference to English football too. 

At least he's not comparing black people to nonces now. Progress of a sort. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Lebowski said:
31 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:
What bit of exclusive do you not understand ???? 

They're the exclusive TV broadcaster. They don't have streaming rights.

 

The fact that they don't have streaming rights does not mean that they do not have control over which games can be streamed in the UK. I would be astonished if their broadcasting deal didn't include an assurance that no games would be streamed in the UK on any other platform. Indeed, several of their competitors when they bought the rights last year were streaming platforms - Eleven Sports and Amazon Prime were rumoured to have been interested, and YouTube may also have been. Of course, Sky do actually stream games via SkyGo and NowTV anyway.

Your argument about clubs being worried about attendances dropping doesn't really cover the fact that even sold out games are not streamed on club TV platforms, even if they are outside the Saturday 3pm window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Lebowski said:
24 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:
Not by my reading of it
“We’re particularly pleased that we have been able to agree a deal for the Ladbrokes Premiership matches on an exclusive basis with a single live broadcast partner.

"Broadcaster" look it up.

Anytime you broadcast a video stream, you have the rights for that content. Unless you sign away those rights, all rights belong to you, the broadcaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Does that mean they can't remove the word exclusive for their partners to help them out or are they going to be dicks about it?

It’s the Murdoch’s and SKY we’re talking about …… so they’ll be dicks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

No it doesn't because 3pm games were banned from being on TV or streamed in the UK. Now they aren't.

 

Just to expand on this point, the reason clubs don't show their games on the Internet is because they think (probably correctly) that it would batter their attendance figures.

 

No, the reason clubs cant stream games in the UK is because its not allowed as part of the media rights given to the clubs by the SPFL.

Those rights also dictate when highlights can be published and change depending on whether the game is being covered by another broadcaster eg Sky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
The fact that they don't have streaming rights does not mean that they do not have control over which games can be streamed in the UK. I would be astonished if their broadcasting deal didn't include an assurance that no games would be streamed in the UK on any other platform. Indeed, several of their competitors when they bought the rights last year were streaming platforms - Eleven Sports and Amazon Prime were rumoured to have been interested, and YouTube may also have been. Of course, Sky do actually stream games via SkyGo and NowTV anyway.
Your argument about clubs being worried about attendances dropping doesn't really cover the fact that even sold out games are not streamed on club TV platforms, even if they are outside the Saturday 3pm window.
But those are the games that Sky are broadcasting on TV. They will have exclusive rights to those games.

I honestly don't believe that clubs have signed away their rights to showing games to Sky, why would they have done that? Sky have developed a model which means that they are giving clubs in England so much cash that they're not going to jeopardise that by starting a rival broadcasting service which undermines them. I also think that Scottish clubs will have calculated that showing games online would undermine their crowds. The best funded club in Scotland has devoted a fuckload of resources to stop any streaming of games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bet365 and several other bookies have streaming rights over FA Cup matches, separately from broadcasting rights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t see it having any chance of happening. If it did though,as it would be a new set up would Celtic need to start at zero again with their title run?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

The best funded club in Scotland has devoted a fuckload of resources to stop any streaming of games.

And yet you can pay £50 a year to see every game after 10pm on the day of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, King_Of_Kings said:

Has Budge submitted her proposal yet?

Was just about to ask the same...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

But those are the games that Sky are broadcasting on TV. They will have exclusive rights to those games.

I honestly don't believe that clubs have signed away their rights to showing games to Sky, why would they have done that? Sky have developed a model which means that they are giving clubs in England so much cash that they're not going to jeopardise that by starting a rival broadcasting service which undermines them. I also think that Scottish clubs will have calculated that showing games online would undermine their crowds. The best funded club in Scotland has devoted a fuckload of resources to stop any streaming of games.

Think you’ll find they have for £30M per season for the next 5 years 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Think you’ll find they have for £30M per season for the next 5 years 

Aye,It will be interesting to see the streamlined squads after they let fans back into the grounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Considering Sky set the benchmark by not renegotiating a deal to show the Bundesliga, and are paying the exact same to show closed door games as they expected to pay for games with crowds, I'm not really sure what "loophole" they can find.

Contracts are contracts, it doesnt matter if its Scottish football you're showing or Latvian. Sky agreed to show German football behind closed doors under an existing "with crowd" contract, so they cannot change that for Scotland.

If Scottish football breaches the contract, then that changes.

Minor point maybe, but isn't it BT that are currently showing the Bundesliga games? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...