Sinner-to-Saint

League Reconstruction 20/21 season

Folk see the big supports junior teams take to Scottish cup games and inexplicably think it's representative of their usual attendances.

A very silly line of logic considering that right up the pyramid every team, bar Celtic and Sevco, will take vastly increased numbers to certain cup ties (most notably semi finals and finals).

Edited by DA Baracus

3 hours ago, Lebowski said:

I'd say that the team bringing through the last Scottish player to win the Champions League being Queen's Park negates quite a bit of his argument there.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with teams being semi professional. He's talking about England and the national league. That's the clubs 93rd to 112th in their football. Adjust Scotlands population for England and the sides at the bottom of our leagues would be 400th or so in their pyramid. Are the sides at that level professional to the extent he's talking about in England, I don't think so. They're at a much much lower level than the Scottish ones playing wise, and their crowds are worse.

Us existing next to England fucking warps people's brains.

If you follow hugely experienced Europe-wide groundhopper, Leo Hoenig, you'll know that he has a fairly accurate theory that team/match quality bears a strong positive corelation with average attendances, wherever you go.

5 hours ago, The DA said:

Lobby Dossar has already explained - Sky have exclusive rights.  They're only allowed to show 48 matches plus play-offs but NOBODY else is allowed to show the other 200+ matches in Scotland (UK?) without Sky's permission, and a likely renegotiation of the contract.

Wasting

your

time.

7 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Will you just shut up please?

No... no I will not. I will continue to insert my t'uppennyworth in this forum with ideas as and when they arise, whether they're serious ones, or more lighthearted. I will not take umbrage at any anal-retentive/po-faced individual who puts me on 'ignore', which, of course, you are also free to do. Good day.

11 minutes ago, Cornishman said:

No... no I will not. I will continue to insert my t'uppennyworth in this forum with ideas as and when they arise, whether they're serious ones, or more lighthearted. I will not take umbrage at any anal-retentive/po-faced individual who puts me on 'ignore', which, of course, you are also free to do. Good day.

Shut up

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Of course there isnt, its @Pet Jeden who's spent the past month claiming the Sky deal is on the verge of collapsing because of that, not me.

He's really not bright. I picked his silly wee 'no atmosphere is not what they paid for and will renegotiate' argument apart last week. It's quite a shame really that he's still trying to push this narrative when it's something that is completely objective, not at all quantifiable and absolutely ridiculous to not only suggest but pursue as a legit possibility. 

Even if we go with his ridiculous notion that there is somehow an enforceable 'must be a crowd and atmosphere' clause, there could not possibly be anything in the contract that specifically states how many people at a game would equate to a 'crowd' and how loud they need to be or how many songs they need to sing to equate to an 'atmosphere' .

Clubs could easily circumvent this by allowing a couple of hundred people into each stand (they won't, but they could and allow them to properly social distance, if such a thing existed as a 'must be a crowd' clause in the contract) and instantly, voila! You now have both a crowd and an atmosphere.

I think if he takes a step back and views it with a clear and level head, he'll see that it's a preposterous suggestion to make but no doubt he'll respond saying it is us who are naive for believing it won't happen. Of course there's no guarantee that they won't want to renegotiate but it 100% won't be on the basis of there being a clause that states games cannot have no crowds. 

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I think if he takes a step back and views it with a clear and level head

See, this is where your problem starts.......................

St Mirren should get an exemption to show all their home games lives.  It would mean that none of us has to go to that shithole Paisley again.

Gordon Strachan: Ex-Scotland boss says too many clubs are not professional enough

Former Scotland boss Gordon Strachan believes too many of the country's senior clubs are not professional enough.

Of the 42 member sides of the SPFL, 22 employ players on a full-time basis, while the remaining 20 are part-time.

Strachan thinks the lack of fully professional sides is holding the game back.

"If you want to be a professional club, show it," he told the BBC's Scottish football podcast.

"Have full-time employees, have full-time players, have an academy, do the whole lot. Just don't play at being a football team and expect us to look after you.

"When you talk about clubs coming into the league, what are they bringing in? Two hundred people per week to a game, is that really professional football?

"The teams in the bottom two leagues at the moment, in general, how many players have they produced over the last 14 years?"

Strachan, who is technical director at Championship side Dundee, believes "40 or 50%" of SPFL clubs would not survive in the English National League.

The former Celtic and Middlesbrough boss was also critical of the overall "product" of Scottish football, and believes the spectacle must improve to bring in more money.

"If you think giving a good product is watching two teams in the bottom half of the Scottish Premiership playing on a plastic pitch, you're kidding yourself," he said. "Absolutely kidding yourself."

He added: "I just think we get over this period, see where we all are, how we all come out it. Then say, 'right, OK, who really wants to go head over heels in being professional and bringing on the game?'

"I'm sure if we do it properly, our product can be 100% better than it is right now.

"Nobody's going to kill a football club but find your level that you play at. Find the level your finances are putting you.

"Don't tell me you're a professional club when you're paying people part-time 80 quid a week and nobody turns up to your football matches."

Strachan's a bellend always has been. 

Edited by SJP79

8 hours ago, Sparticus said:

Crowds are being allowed back to sporting events in the USA next month.

The USA is led by a gentleman who thinks that it's a good idea to inject Dettol to get rid of Covid 19. Not sure that using the USA as a standard is that good an idea.

17 hours ago, Shteve said:

I'm actually quite game for pishing the championship and coming back up with a grudge. Let's face it Scottish football is pish anyway. 

I know where you're coming from, but f**k it lets not make it easy for these Premiership diddies. ^_^

27 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

St Mirren should get an exemption to show all their home games lives.  It would mean that none of us has to go to that shithole Paisley again.

I wouldn't want you missing out on excitement like this.:)

In England the 400th.-odd team would be playing in the 8th.-tier of their pyramid. Average attendances vary from 820 at Guernsey, 607 at Hastings, down to 54 at FC Romania.
How's their academies? Guernsey has a population of 70k, so around the same number as Paisley. Hastings has a population of 93k, which is about treble the size of Motherwell.

1 hour ago, Cornishman said:

In England the 400th.-odd team would be playing in the 8th.-tier of their pyramid. Average attendances vary from 820 at Guernsey, 607 at Hastings, down to 54 at FC Romania.

Why do people, like Gordon Strachan on Sportsound today, continue to compare the Scottish football to football in England.  There is absolutely no comparison so stop doing it. 

I wont listen to Sportsound but read Strachan’s comments, what a horrible and irrelevant man he has become.

What’s next? Wanting players to be 6 foot 4 minimum. Oh wait...

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Folk see the big supports junior teams take to Scottish cup games and inexplicably think it's representative of their usual attendances.

A very silly line of logic considering that right up the pyramid to every team bar Celtic and Sevco will take vastly increased numbers to certainly cup ties (most notably semi finals and finals).

Junior football is dead anyway. Next season it will be down to some mad Dundonians, Northern teuchters and "loyal" West Lothians. We will see how the so-called big junior teams progress in the pyramid (hopefully starting next season whenever that is)

Edited by gogsy

3 hours ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Who knows 

Do you think the amount of money individual clubs will generate from their own club TV will be more than what they will loose from renegotiated SKY deal ???

As the Ross County chairman said yesterday people’s disposable income ain’t going to be what it used to be 

The only bit you're taking away from the SKY deal is "exclusive rights" they still get their 48 games plus you can throw in 2 or 4 more to compensate.
Clubs can sell their home games that are left to the fan base in the UK and beyond which compensates for the dinero they lose from the closed gates.
Season ticket holders get to see their team and Sky get their cherry picked games.

46 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The only bit you're taking away from the SKY deal is "exclusive rights" they still get their 48 games plus you can throw in 2 or 4 more to compensate.
Clubs can sell their home games that are left to the fan base in the UK and beyond which compensates for the dinero they lose from the closed gates.
Season ticket holders get to see their team and Sky get their cherry picked games.

What bit of exclusive do you not understand ???? 

They're the exclusive TV broadcaster. They don't have streaming rights.

5 minutes ago, Lebowski said:
16 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

They're the exclusive TV broadcaster. They don't have streaming rights.

Not by my reading of it

“We’re particularly pleased that we have been able to agree a deal for the Ladbrokes Premiership matches on an exclusive basis with a single live broadcast partner.