League Reconstruction 20/21 season

2 hours ago, The Reverend said:

Interesting that you and Falcor Roar had the same idea. 

I see the logic, as the top six sides are likely to progress further in the cups and have European games, too.

So that would mean 36 games for the top six clubs:  (13 x 2) + (5 x 2) and  40 games for the bottom sides (13 x 2) + (7 x 2). Which sounds feasible. 

Those are the benefits. A split after 26 games might not be popular with some of the smaller clubs who think themselves unlikely to finish top 6. Ideally the 7th placed side (top of bottom half) would have something to play for such as Euro playoff. 

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

Why don't the two of then F off and form their own two team league and then they can play each other as many times as they like while the Premiership remains as 12 teams.

I meant there are plenty smaller clubs that want home fixtures with the two OF sides.

Any league reconstruction should be the result of a measured consideration of what's in the best interests of the SPFL as a whole and not because Ann Budge is having a tantrum about being relegated.

I propose a 14-team league where there is a 12-2 split at the BEGINNING of the season. The group of 12 would do what we have been doing for the last wee while and the remaining 2 teams would play all of their games just against each other, in Siberia.

The league table would have 2 completely independent parts to it. The group of 12 would have their progress recorded in a table which, for argument's sake, we could call "The Scottish Premier League table".

The other two teams' progress would be recorded in whatever way they want to record it.

Seeing as the league would be played in these 2 parts, we might as well have the coverage split appropriately. So the teams based in Siberia could be televised in Siberia, and everyone else in Scotland.

I haven't yet thought through how we would go about choosing which teams play where, but thinking on my feet here it would seem fairest that, with all the expense of traveling / relocating / buying warm clothes etc., we should be looking at asking the clubs who can afford it most and who have the largest supports (better for keeping warm) to go to Siberia.

Thoughts?

19 hours ago, tree house tam said:

f**k off with a bigger league,  those championship teams are dross and should be kept at arms length away from the elite.

Yes, I forgot clubs like St. Johnstone rely on playing the Old Firm as often as possible.

20 hours ago, The Reverend said:

The other problem with a bigger league is that it would include even smaller teams. When you consider that Celtic and Rangers would be large clubs in the Premier League in terms of their fan base and infrastructure, Hamilton would be a National League club. The bigger the league, the greater the disparity.

This is the big problem however it is already cemented in and is unlikely to change. Dundee Utd, Dundee, Inverness and Ayr (current top 4 in championship) would not be any smaller than Livingston or Ross County and teams like Partick, Falkirk, Raith, Dunfermline etc are all similar.

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

How does money in the SPL get distributed:

Prize money per league position?

Does the TV money get split 12 ways evenly or 10 ways evenly and massive chunks to the special 2?

I'm sure the distribution in the SPL was widely publicised, look back ten years and see.

Edited by tree house tam

4 hours ago, ahemps said:

How does money in the SPL get distributed:

Usually by way of an electronic transfer of UK currency funds to the bank account nominated by each club, the details of which are relayed by a secure method recommended by their bank.

Apart from Hamilton Accies who sent an email in some sort of strange pidgin English asking for the millions of US dollars due to them to paid to a Nigerian bank account.

7 hours ago, The Great Stagsby said:

I propose a 14-team league where there is a 12-2 split at the BEGINNING of the season. The group of 12 would do what we have been doing for the last wee while and the remaining 2 teams would play all of their games just against each other, in Siberia.

The league table would have 2 completely independent parts to it. The group of 12 would have their progress recorded in a table which, for argument's sake, we could call "The Scottish Premier League table".

The other two teams' progress would be recorded in whatever way they want to record it.

Seeing as the league would be played in these 2 parts, we might as well have the coverage split appropriately. So the teams based in Siberia could be televised in Siberia, and everyone else in Scotland.

I haven't yet thought through how we would go about choosing which teams play where, but thinking on my feet here it would seem fairest that, with all the expense of traveling / relocating / buying warm clothes etc., we should be looking at asking the clubs who can afford it most and who have the largest supports (better for keeping warm) to go to Siberia.

Thoughts?

If Aberdeen are to be in the two-team section , any chance of Killie being the other team ?

Need to increase the league sizes and reduce the amount of times teams play each other as it's boring.

14-14-14 play each other 3 times 39 games

Or

16-16 play each other twice 30 games plus champions league style league cup. Another guaranteed 6 games. Total 36 games. Regional leagues underneath top 2 leagues.

Don’t know what the split in money is nowadays, but I remember reading a document then watching a documentary a few years back stating that the distribution of the SKY financial package was an even 3 way split between Rangers, Celtic & “the rest”.

(and their my friends lies the problem)

It all stems back to the Roger Mitchell days when the SPL were shafted by the O F at the 11th hour on the SPL TV Deal, where the O F went behind the other 10 clubs backs to set up their own deal, and it failed to get off the ground.

If you remember, that’s when the other 10 clubs served notice that they were resigning from the SPL , think Stuart Milne was the spokesman at the time.

I fear it could be a case of “some things never change”