League Reconstruction 20/21 season

Think this thread highlights the unlikely chances of any agreement getting enough votes to be passed.

Also, it may all be in vein as there’s a fair chance it will be a good while yet before large crowds will be able to gather again. 

8 minutes ago, big al said:

Think this thread highlights the unlikely chances of any agreement getting enough votes to be passed.

Also, it may all be in vein as there’s a fair chance it will be a good while yet before large crowds will be able to gather again. 

Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if it's already been agreed too.

41 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Why on earth would you use the previous season's finishes rather than just having a split?

My thinking was that those “group” games would be set before the season starts and woven in to the fixture list rather than at the end of the season but you could also split after 30 games I guess

15 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Not convinced that the team sitting out on the last day thing is an insurmountable problem, if it's the team that was in seventh place at the split.

I always feel the last day's fixtures are an occasion - unless your team is involved in the Cup final, it is a way of closing the league campaign and often the last time to see particular players. I think sitting out on the last day of the season detracts from that.

What's wrong with the 6/8 split, in your opinion?

Budge is a fanny, on about it being not fair on Hearts, they're still capable of getting out the mess they've been in all season. They changed their manager, tried to buy their way out of it and are still bottom with the worst form. YOU WERE ALWAYS GOING DOWN YOU STUPID BINT.

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I don’t think there is an option that is going to please everyone 

Getting the Old Firm to absolute f**k would get nationwide backing from fans, shame the clubs would be too cowardly.

Imagine a 16 team Scottish top flight, no OF clubs, alcohol allowed during games, and terracing back in most stadiums.

Just imagine.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Other countries with 16 team top flights include Sweden, Poland, Belgium and Czech Republic.

I want to live in a world where we could for example have Rangers needing to win in Paisley on the last day of the season to win the league and St. Mirren needing to win to avoid relegation. St. Mirren win, Rangers are in tears and Dundee United only manage a draw at Tannadice after a last minute equaliser from Stevie May for St. Johnstone to send the Arabs down.

That is real drama, not this split nonsense.

As a matter of fact it is not real drama, it is made up drama.

Whereas the split nonsense affords actual real drama year after year after year.

By the way Poland, Belgium and the Czechs all have splits of one kind of another so wouldn't be able to have this real (sic) drama either. Sweden could of course...

42 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Not convinced that the team sitting out on the last day thing is an insurmountable problem, if it's the team that was in seventh place at the split.

Why they might be top or vying for a European place by the end and a similar situation prevails in the bottom half 

16 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Main criticism would be that a team in the top half of the table after 26 games clearly doesn't belong in a relegation playoff. The 36-40 game season imbalance is also less than ideal.

That is a criticism of a split not how it’s configured

23 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Main criticism would be that a team in the top half of the table after 26 games clearly doesn't belong in a relegation playoff. The 36-40 game season imbalance is also less than ideal.

It's not usually a relegation play-off for the team currently in seventh place, though. I think the clubs in the top half of the table would benefit from playing two more home games against the Old Firm, which would compensate for the fewer home games they'd play. Other than the financial implications, I cannot see why the disparity in respect of the number of matches played, would matter. 

For those saying the league set up is fine - no it fucking isn’t.

The split for starters is a farce and always has been. Whether it’s having to play someone away from home a third time and being disadvantaged, 6th finishing with less points than 7th, no chance of dramatic last day games I.e a team trying to survive relegation vs a team aiming to win the league, playing teams 4 times a season - it’s absolutely shite. Including the cups, it’s possible to play the same team at least 7 times in one season. That’s unbelievably tin pot.

Although a 14 team league doesn’t get rid of a split and many of the other issues I’ve identified it would at the very very least be slightly more exciting than what we have now and it would be fairer on clubs like Partick, Hearts and Falkirk who’s season’s were by no means over and their fates not yet sealed.

The 16 team league is the holy grail. Playing each other home and away once is fine. The excitement of playing a team once home and away would hopefully encourage people to come out in force to see the big game of the season against the Old Firm/Edinburgh sides/Aberdeen. The novelty factor would be there and folk are less inclined to turn their nose up at the prospect of having to go and watch their team playing *insert team* again.

Premiership: 16 clubs, 2 down, 1 play-off with championship

Leagues below prem: 10-10-10

With the development of the west of Scotland league and the pyramid system coming together this is the ideal opportunity for Scottish football to reform the leagues from top to bottom and we should absolutely do it.

Absolutely in favour of a 16 team top league, and always have and will. Anyone who thinks it wouldn't work is completely blinkered and/or far too dependent on the Old Firm coin.

Playing some teams three times in a league, and some four times is completely and utterly boring and the set up as it is will always mean the league will be won by Celtic or maybe in the future, Rangers. There is just no way any other has a chance as it stands. By playing less against 'them' there's a slight chance another club could properly compete.

The winter break was nonsense. I understand that people have less money after Christmas, but it's nonsense and should be permanently scrapped.

Was the winter break not brought in because of the Betfred cup group stages meaning teams came back 2 weeks earlier, wouldn’t see it getting scrapped unless the group stages also so go with it.

FWIW I also hate the winter break mainly due to the farcical nature of it being at the end of December when the weather isn’t that bad, we then have brutal weather at the end of January/start of February every year without fail.

58 minutes ago, bennett said:

Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if it's already been agreed too.

I get the feeling also that this task force is all for show and there has already been something agreed but being kept quiet and will come out to coincide with the final spfl Premier league announcement. As I would have expected the reaction from the clubs to have "lost out" to have made much stronger than we have seen yesterday and today. 

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

He was trying to say that Dundee are only looking after number one in this situation, they quite clearly are not. Whatever way we voted, it would have no effect on us.

Not that it is Nelms's responsibility to push the SPFL into change, but he has been the only 'Yes' voting team to do this, not for our benefit and it's not all about Hearts either, Partick Thistle and Stranraer are facing the same fate, so I truly believe we would of pushed for the same if it was your club at the bottom.

Like I said before, it highlights the I'm alright Jack mentally of a lot of clubs but not Dundee. 

So Dundee wouldn't benefit from a rehashed Championship minus DU, ICT and Hearts next season.......aye right, they would be odds on to win that.

8 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

So Dundee wouldn't benefit from a rehashed Championship minus DU, ICT and Hearts next season.......aye right, they would be odds on to win that.

It's not just been United and Caley pumping us this season.