It's actually possible to play the same team TEN times

League Cup group

League Cup knockout

Scottish Cup

Scottish Cup Replay

4 x League Games

Playoff Leg One

Playoff Leg Two

All of the above could, in theory, be achieved in just 46 games. Imagine playing 22% of your season against the same team 😂

Pretty sure The Caley have played Alloa 10 times this season. 

6 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

This. Can you imagine the pish you'd have to put up with if Rangers/Celtic had to sit out the last game of the season and the title wasn't settled yet? 

That's not an insurmountable difficulty, in that the SPFL schedule monkeys can fix it so that the arsecheeks always play on the last game of the season.

Edited by Aim Here

A 16 team league with 30 games a season?

Teams going from 19 home leave games and a guaranteed 3 home games against the Old Firm with the possibility of a 4th to just 15 home games a season with a guaranteed maximum of 2 home games against the Old Firm?

There’s a 20% reduction in every clubs income right away. We’re living in cloud cuckoo land if we think any club would vote for that.

No league system is perfect and there’s always been talk of league reconstruction. As if that would be the golden ticket to improving Scottish football. It isn’t of course, if we play less games teams would have a lower budget and the quality of player we’d be able to attract would be less.

Scottish top flight clubs are already struggling to match English League 1 and English League 2 sides for wages - both of whom play 46 league games a season. That gap would only get bigger if we reduced our clubs income further to 30 games.

What we have just now is fine. The split adds some drama to the middle of the league and post split there’s always some kind of excitement with every game against the teams around you.

Have you been walking around with your eyes shut the past 3 days or just been reading the Daily Record?
Why should anyone vote for a 'temporary' reconstruction so Hearts can attempt to get their house in order and avoid automatic relegation?

If it was StMirren, Accies, County, or Livi sitting bottom this wouldn't be mentioned.

The Tory came out all guns blazing since lock down and has tied herself in knots. No sympathy here.

Other countries with 16 team top flights include Sweden, Poland, Belgium and Czech Republic.

I want to live in a world where we could for example have Rangers needing to win in Paisley on the last day of the season to win the league and St. Mirren needing to win to avoid relegation. St. Mirren win, Rangers are in tears and Dundee United only manage a draw at Tannadice after a last minute equaliser from Stevie May for St. Johnstone to send the Arabs down.

That is real drama, not this split nonsense.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I had a look there and counted 6

Think we were due to play them once more. 7 times in one season is fucking wild. 

Anyone agreeing with a temporary reconstruction is simply admitting that it's purely in place to allow Hearts to avoid the drop.

I doubt many Hearts fans themselves would agree to it.

Here’s my idea 

16 teams - 30 fixtures home & away

1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16* from the previous season’s standings split into 4 groups to get 6 more fixtures.

36 games, unless hilarity happens 4 Glasgow Derby games to keep sky happy 

*replace relegated teams with promoted teams. 

28 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Other countries with 16 team top flights include Sweden, Poland, Belgium and Czech Republic.

I want to live in a world where we could for example have Rangers needing to win in Paisley on the last day of the season to win the league and St. Mirren needing to win to avoid relegation. St. Mirren win, Rangers are in tears and Dundee United only manage a draw at Tannadice after a last minute equaliser from Stevie May for St. Johnstone to send the Arabs down.

That is real drama, not this split nonsense.

Most people would probably prefer a 16 team league if they're being honest, however it all boils down to money and ultimately that's what scuppers it.

Here’s my idea 
1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16* from the previous season’s standings split into 4 groups to get 6 more fixtures.
I like that version too.

Problem is clubs wouldn't be happy with less OF home games and 2 less games in general.

Here’s my idea 

Why on earth would you use the previous season's finishes rather than just having a split?

A 7-7 split provides 38 games for both sections in the top tier with 40 fixture dates. Might work better than a 6-8 split. The other three divisions could stick at 10 if Kelty and Brora are added.
Fitting the season into 38 matchdays was a challenge this year, even before coronavirus.

55 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I don’t think there is an option that is going to please everyone but I think no relegations is fairer than sending teams down who aren’t out the fight yet. We also get Kelty and Brora up who both deserve their chance in League 2 after their hard work the past season.

Enough of this pish. You can't have your cake and eat it. If it is fair to promote Kelty/Brora after "their hard work this season" then its absolutely fair to relegate Hearts/Partick/Stranraer for their abysmal work this season. 

Pant-wetting nonsense, this whole affair. Knee jerk reconstruction to appease 3 or 4 admittedly unlucky clubs. Pathetic. 

56 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Why should anyone vote for a 'temporary' reconstruction so Hearts can attempt to get their house in order and avoid automatic relegation?

If it was StMirren, Accies, County, or Livi sitting bottom this wouldn't be mentioned.

The Tory came out all guns blazing since lock down and has tied herself in knots. No sympathy here.

He was trying to say that Dundee are only looking after number one in this situation, they quite clearly are not. Whatever way we voted, it would have no effect on us.

Not that it is Nelms's responsibility to push the SPFL into change, but he has been the only 'Yes' voting team to do this, not for our benefit and it's not all about Hearts either, Partick Thistle and Stranraer are facing the same fate, so I truly believe we would of pushed for the same if it was your club at the bottom.

Like I said before, it highlights the I'm alright Jack mentally of a lot of clubs but not Dundee. 

Edited by johnnydun

My preference has zero chance of happening, but a man can dream.

2 x 16 team leagues then 2 x 20 north/south conferences.

30 game season, 2 up 2 down, 3rd and 4th in championship play off to meet 3rd bottom in a one off promotion game.

League cup reverts to 32 team knockout. Challenge cup ditched.

New cup tournament added for each of the 2 top leagues, 4 groups of 4 home and away fixtures. Winner only to progress. Group draw structured to give an extra 2 OF games, 2 Edinburgh / Dundee / Lancashire / Ayrshire / Renfrew / Fife etc. derbies.

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

A 7-7 split provides 38 games for both sections in the top tier with 40 fixture dates. Might work better than a 6-8 split. The other three divisions could stick at 10 if Kelty and Brora are added.

1 hour ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

7/7 split would never work as because a team has to sit out each week there is an opportunity on the last day for teams to 'fix' results if it suits as per W Germany v Austria many years ago. That's the reason that on last day all games are played at same time

@LongTimeLurker & @Cowden Cowboy - I totally agree, a 7/7 split would never work. I think the 6/8 split would actually be an excellent format, as the more successful teams are likely to be involved in the Europe and have longer runs in the cups, and therefore would welcome a less congested fixture list.

1 hour ago, Calidad said:

Has anyone actually seen this in writing? I would hazard a guess no, and this is is more an aspiration that black and white unbreakable contract. Remember we had 4 seasons without that fixture and by all accounts the TV companies still televised our games, I think also that attendances went up at a lot of clubs. We need to get away from building our game around just two clubs and how many times they play each other. I know a lot supporters from both sides and they generally agree that actually playing each other a couple of less games might actually be a good thing. The clubs money men might not like it, but money men are only happy about one thing, and being happy about one thing is not a good place to be. 

Our game needs a revamp, and not just a 1 season emergency revamp and the revert back to it stagnating ways . Scottish football needs to be gallus and look forward. We need a bigger top flight and bigger Championship. Maybe some sort regional leagues underpinning it all. I would also like to see a financial reward going to clubs who play predominately Scottish players in their first team squads-- I am sure that it will not be that hard to work out. 

I would be interested to see the viewing figures for Old Firm games compared to other Premiership games. I'm guessing that it will be several times higher, and that is all the television companies are interested in. It pains me to say it, but television firms don't buy the rights to the SPFL so that they can show St. Mirren play Ross County. That's the reality. Assuming I'm correct, and I may not be, the TV companies will want four Old Firm games. Whether reducing them by 50% will drastically affect the amount they're willing to pay remains to be seen.

I agree with the rest of your points, I think there should only be two national leagues and below that it should be regionalised.

13 minutes ago, third lanark said:

I can’t help but think part of Dundee’s thinking is that there will be getting an easier league if hearts stay up and ICT and Dundee United are up. Particularly with no Hearts there surely won’t be any team able to match Dundee financially 

Perhaps. Also they'd be more likely to retain the Premiership status once promoted. Maybe their vote was conditional upon reconstruction, but I can't help but worry they might have been bribed and reconstruction's just an empty promise.

If the Premiership is expanded, then I think Partick will be safe.

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Fitting the season into 38 matchdays was a challenge this year, even before coronavirus.

The winter break was nonsense. I understand that people have less money after Christmas, but it's nonsense and should be permanently scrapped. 

I am not in favour of summer football, as that seems to be exclusively utilised by the lest prestigious leagues, but we should start our season earlier in my opinion. It would benefit our clubs in Europe. I think we should scrap Scottish Cup replays, too.