League Reconstruction 20/21 season

With some teams ending up in leagues lower than you would usually expect them to be in ...... Hearts, Thistle, Falkirk for example, the other teams in those leagues may well be against reorganisation as the paydays from these better supported clubs could be substantial. 

I think it was the Forfar chairman who said that the reason he voted for the proposal was that Thistle coming down and Falkirk staying in his league would mean a six figure cash injection next season, far higher than any prize money they were waiting on. 

So the 11-1 vote needed in the top division is only one of the potential hurdles. 
That is nothing like what the Forfar chairman said. It's how Michael Stewart misrepresented him.

Honestly? 18-18, with a regionalised league system beneath it.

There is no way 6 teams would vote themselves out of the league, however, so 18-18-10 for now, with the understanding that in a few seasons it would go to 18-18

For those saying the league set up is fine - no it fucking isn’t.

The split for starters is a farce and always has been. Whether it’s having to play someone away from home a third time and being disadvantaged, 6th finishing with less points than 7th, no chance of dramatic last day games I.e a team trying to survive relegation vs a team aiming to win the league, playing teams 4 times a season - it’s absolutely shite. Including the cups, it’s possible to play the same team at least 7 times in one season. That’s unbelievably tin pot.

Although a 14 team league doesn’t get rid of a split and many of the other issues I’ve identified it would at the very very least be slightly more exciting than what we have now and it would be fairer on clubs like Partick, Hearts and Falkirk who’s season’s were by no means over and their fates not yet sealed.

The 16 team league is the holy grail. Playing each other home and away once is fine. The excitement of playing a team once home and away would hopefully encourage people to come out in force to see the big game of the season against the Old Firm/Edinburgh sides/Aberdeen. The novelty factor would be there and folk are less inclined to turn their nose up at the prospect of having to go and watch their team playing *insert team* again.

Premiership: 16 clubs, 2 down, 1 play-off with championship

Leagues below prem: 10-10-10

With the development of the west of Scotland league and the pyramid system coming together this is the ideal opportunity for Scottish football to reform the leagues from top to bottom and we should absolutely do it.

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Honestly? 18-18, with a regionalised league system beneath it.

There is no way 6 teams would vote themselves out of the league, however, so 18-18-10 for now, with the understanding that in a few seasons it would go to 18-18

Keeping numbers as they are with an18 .. 12 .. 12 or we could add some teams from the highland/lowland leagues to bolster the lower 2 leagues.

All this talk of bigger leagues I'm not sure I agree with. There have only been 18 teams have played top flight football in Scotland in the last 20 years (current 12+ict, Dundee clubs, Falkirk, dunfermline and Thistle). While acknowledging that one up one down would be a major reason for this, the fact is that we don't have enough good teams to support a 16/18 team top flight. Like of Ayr, Arbroath, Morton, QotS would add very little to an expanded top flight and before everyone berates me and says what about Livi, Hamilton and smaller clubs in the current top flight, all you'd be having is more clubs of smaller size in the top flight.

To support an 18 team league, you'd need 22-24 clubs capable of playing in that division and I just don't think we have that. You'd only further be diluting the talent pool in the top division. Add in to that the number of meaningless games (unless there is some convoluted split system) you'd have in midtable and you'd soon see attendances dropping. Smaller countries tend to have smaller top divisions. We are a small country.

12 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

It’s possible to play the same team at least 7 times in one season. That’s unbelievably tin pot

It's actually possible to play the same team TEN times

League Cup group

League Cup knockout

Scottish Cup

Scottish Cup Replay

4 x League Games

Playoff Leg One

Playoff Leg Two

All of the above could, in theory, be achieved in just 46 games. Imagine playing 22% of your season against the same team 😂

11 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

All this talk of bigger leagues I'm not sure I agree with. There have only been 18 teams have played top flight football in Scotland in the last 20 years (current 12+ict, Dundee clubs, Falkirk, dunfermline and Thistle). While acknowledging that one up one down would be a major reason for this, the fact is that we don't have enough good teams to support a 16/18 team top flight. Like of Ayr, Arbroath, Morton, QotS would add very little to an expanded top flight and before everyone berates me and says what about Livi, Hamilton and smaller clubs in the current top flight, all you'd be having is more clubs of smaller size in the top flight.

One up one down was a major factor. It was designed to help with the SPL being a closed shop, and it worked.

Ayr, Airdrie, Clyde, Raith Rovers & Morton all finished 2nd during the last 20 years. I see no reason why those clubs would bring, as you put it  "nothing to the top league" any more so than Ross County, St. Mirren, Hamilton etc do just now. Allowing for 2 up / 2 down brings you up to 24 clubs who would have played in the top tier (you omitted Gretna).

I accept your point about smaller countries having smaller leagues, however smaller countries tend not to have 42 teams in their professional ranks, and have only 2 professional leagues.

Edited by Todd_is_God

10 hours ago, johnnydun said:

It just highlights the "I'm alright Jack" attitude that stops Scottish Football ever being progressive. 

Agreed - but the reality is that self-interest has *always* been the driving force behind every change/vote that has happened in Scottish Football and it would be extremely naive to think that will change at this of all times. 

Pretty much every club in the country is a marginal business - the mindset of those running them is (by neccessity?) a short term one (ie - how do we get through the next couple of seasons, can we survive a relegation, etc). The idea that in this case, clubs will suddenly vote for a perceived greater good rather than what is best for their individual circumstances right now doesn't seem credible.

The end result will be reams of weasel worded statements but no reconstruction that affects the top flight.

11 hours ago, The Reverend said:

requirement for four Old Firm games

Has anyone actually seen this in writing? I would hazard a guess no, and this is is more an aspiration that black and white unbreakable contract. Remember we had 4 seasons without that fixture and by all accounts the TV companies still televised our games, I think also that attendances went up at a lot of clubs. We need to get away from building our game around just two clubs and how many times they play each other. I know a lot supporters from both sides and they generally agree that actually playing each other a couple of less games might actually be a good thing. The clubs money men might not like it, but money men are only happy about one thing, and being happy about one thing is not a good place to be. 

Our game needs a revamp, and not just a 1 season emergency revamp and the revert back to it stagnating ways . Scottish football needs to be gallus and look forward. We need a bigger top flight and bigger Championship. Maybe some sort regional leagues underpinning it all. I would also like to see a financial reward going to clubs who play predominately Scottish players in their first team squads-- I am sure that it will not be that hard to work out. 

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's actually possible to play the same team TEN times

League Cup group

League Cup knockout

Scottish Cup

Scottish Cup Replay

4 x League Games

Playoff Leg One

Playoff Leg Two

All of the above could, in theory, be achieved in just 46 games. Imagine playing 22% of your season against the same team 😂

Add in a possible Challenge Cup game for the lower league sides. 

Why should we make it fair for Falkirk, Partick and Hearts but not Airdrie, Ayr and Dundee? If we restructured to make it fair for every club in the system then as far down the championship as Morton could argue for a promotion and we’d end up with a 19 team top flight. 

I don’t think there is an option that is going to please everyone but I think no relegations is fairer than sending teams down who aren’t out the fight yet. We also get Kelty and Brora up who both deserve their chance in League 2 after their hard work the past season.

Does it really matter who you are playing home games against? I can’t think I’d ever decide not to go to a home game against Kilmarnock because we’ve played them once already this season, but we’ve not played Caley at home yet so I’ll go to that one. Granted away games would be nice for variety, but don’t think we should be restructuring the leagues so we get a couple of new places to visit a year.

I think it does. I’d personally be far more excited about going to see the likes of Motherwell or Killie away if it meant it was possibly the only opportunity I’d get that season. I’d definitely be more inclined to go to games vs the OF because at least if we get hammered I will likely not have to put up with that again (unless we draw them in the cup.) Away days would be bigger as everyone would make the most of it, more people would go. IMO.

A 30 game season is a non start, and if anything that is tinpot, which countries have a league system that can only sustain that amount of games each year? Potential for half them to be dead rubbers as well. 

Not for me Jama, I’m out. 

Norway seem to cope fine 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

7/7 split would never work as because a team has to sit out each week there is an opportunity on the last day for teams to 'fix' results if it suits as per W Germany v Austria many years ago. That's the reason that on last day all games are played at same time

This. Can you imagine the pish you'd have to put up with if Rangers/Celtic had to sit out the last game of the season and the title wasn't settled yet?