League Reconstruction 20/21 season

12 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

I'm quite proud to refer to my club as Edinburgh Hibernian. 4U0m6pP.png  Scotland's only top tier club from the capital city. It's understandable that the idea of putting 'Paisley' in front of your club name would make you cringe though. The thought of it makes me cringe also. Ljsl9nQ.png

Paisley has long since been absorbed as Glasgow's scummiest scheme anyway, like Govan and Partick were a hundred years ago. 

48 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

. It did that until the shared gates were stopped and the rest is history.

This is the main factor for our game going to shit. When away teams started to get f**k all from away games, that's when the financial gap started and has run away ever since. I'd even suggest something like a 70/30 split for the simple reckoning of helping club's cash flow, not to mention bridge the gap a little bit between top and bottom.  

3 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

This is the main factor for our game going to shit. When away teams started to get f**k all from away games, that's when the financial gap started and has run away ever since. I'd even suggest something like a 70/30 split for the simple reckoning of helping club's cash flow, not to mention bridge the gap a little bit between top and bottom.  

I'm not sure this example is true in isolation?

Whilst it is a clear indicator of a trend towards clubs simply looking after themselves and maximising their own budgets, I'm not sure the figures involved make a huge material difference to the clubs? I could be wrong with that.

I do remember a shameless attempt from the OF 10-15 years ago to take a cut of their away fixtures because they provided most of the crowd, or something to that effect.

54 minutes ago, virginton said:

You'd be as well telling us about how weans used to be sent up to clean the chimneys for all the relevance it has to the world in 2020. 

The Scottish national team did better on the international stage back then, mind. Reintroduction of this is an idea at least worth exploring.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

They were occasionally referred to that way in Steptoe and Son.

Sure, there will be a small pocket located in a couple of North London boroughs that refer to them as Rangers.

1 hour ago, BawWatchin said:

I'm quite proud to refer to my club as Edinburgh Hibernian.

I presume so you can distinguish yourself from Dundee Hibernian?

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Can we stop having these recurring lectures about why the Scottish top flight changed to a ten team setup nearly fifty fucking years ago, as if it is in any way relevant to the (soon to be) three multi-entrant European competitions and widespread acceptance of end of season play-offs that would inform any new structure? 

You'd be as well telling us about how weans used to be sent up to clean the chimneys for all the relevance it has to the world in 2020. 

If this is in reference to me,.it WAS entirely relevant as a poster had asked how could more teams mean more meaningless games. After all the poster was probably younger than me (I was born the year the 10 team league came in) and has.no clue of that. If you go back again will.ypu just repeat the same issues again.

I for one would like a 16 minimum league playing home and away, no poxy split, and the only playoffs would be 3rd bottom v 3rd top type deals. If 3 go up or down and you finish outside of top 3 then tough your shite and not good enough to go up there were plenty of games to prove other wise & you didn't make it!

Playing only twice stops the big two being able to stretch away in my view. It will never happen though, and we all know why, so to avoid saying again and upsetting you I'll not bother.

5 hours ago, Golden Gordon said:

Dublin Irish United, Belfast Celtic??, The Wednesday, the Harlem Globetrotters?  What even is that?

Belfast Celtic were real enough. They beat Scotland 2-0 in 1949, after which the SFA resolved never to play a club side again.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm not sure this example is true in isolation?

Whilst it is a clear indicator of a trend towards clubs simply looking after themselves and maximising their own budgets, I'm not sure the figures involved make a huge material difference to the clubs? I could be wrong with that.

I do remember a shameless attempt from the OF 10-15 years ago to take a cut of their away fixtures because they provided most of the crowd, or something to that effect.

2008 they wanted a 5% cut of away ticket sales as they were upset that they didn't make any money from the admin and sales of those tickets.

I remember Eddie Thomson felt he had no choice but to agree due to the short notice Celtic gave the club after Celtic said they would refuse any tickets. Should have called their bluff in my opinion. Not like they are short of a bob or two.

1 minute ago, Tannadeechee said:

2008 they wanted a 5% cut of away ticket sales as they were upset that they didn't make any money from the admin and sales of those tickets.

I remember Eddie Thomson felt he had no choice but to agree due to the short notice Celtic gave the club after Celtic said they would refuse any tickets. Should have called their bluff in my opinion. Not like they are short of a bob or two.

Reminded me of the time Celtic complained that Hearts put the price of their away tickets up to £30 or whatever it was, crying it was unfair etc. At the end the guy said something like "but we'll still sell out our allocation". 😆

54 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

So they did, I'd forgotten about that particular nefarious scam.

IIRC Falkirk told them to ram it and it was quietly shelved. 

They ditched it when clubs started selling tickets direct and they realised that they were getting season tickets sold because it helped give priority to away tickets.

So they did, I'd forgotten about that particular nefarious scam.
IIRC Falkirk told them to ram it and it was quietly shelved. 
Hibs sold them direct to away fans for a few games. This was complained about by Celtic because it wasn't giving their season ticket holders priority. Like Hibs should give a flying f**k about that.