League Reconstruction 20/21 season

23 minutes ago, Darren44 said:

Scottish football fans are funny lot. They moan and moan. But turn the nose up at any reform. Yet Scottish is dead. The national team fails to qualify for anything and is a laughing stock.

Scottish Clubs sides cant get even get to the group stages the Champions league or Europa League. Maybe the Uefa Conference League?. 

Pretty sure there were two Scottish club sides in the group stages of the Europa League as recently as last season, and in fact one of them are still in the competition now.

Just now, craigkillie said:

Pretty sure there were two Scottish club sides in the group stages of the Europa League as recently as last season, and in fact one of them are still in the competition now.

That;s rare though. We need to make sure the league are more competitive than is now. 

Just now, Darren44 said:

That;s rare though. We need to make sure the league are more competitive than is now. 

So rare that in fact there were in fact two Scottish club in the group stages of the Europa League the previous season too.

'Why won't you treat my crock of shite idea with respect and what's your solution anyway?' would be an interesting opening gambit if it hadn't been used about five hundred times before on here.

Fun fact: it never ends well for them.

Edited by vikingTON

13 minutes ago, Darren44 said:

I like Scottish Football. But deep down you got to admit the National team and club sides performances are an embarrassment to Past Teams.

In the Champions league we're making up the numbers if we qualify. 

In the Europa league and with a bit of luck in the draws then our teams can make the latter stages. 

27 minutes ago, Darren44 said:

I like Scottish Football. But deep down you got to admit the National team and club sides performances are an embarrassment to Past Teams.

Past teams weren't all up against a team with 17 and, is it,10-15 times the budget of the best of the rest. They weren't competing with an English based TV company punting over a £ billion a year into 20 clubs.

We didn't have the European competitions being deliberately changed to try and keep the same (boring) teams every year to make then richer and to (wrongly) give the public what they want big names on TV every other week.

There are far more leagues now that eastern Europe has splintered. More teams less space.

We also seem to be frightened of playing our normal game in Europe and many times teams change tactics to play "European" , unfamiliar to the players, but very familiar to the opposition. Had my head in my hands a few times at teams doing that.

The money coming in is small, it doesn't help. I've, over a number of years, lost all interest in European competitions, they have been ruined and "rigged". 

The national team have been punching below the talent for a few years for me. Too much obsession with Scottish grandparents of diddies playing in England. We're not going to win any tournament, but again like European competitions there are more teams chasing places so it is more difficult to qualify. I just wish we'd get rid of the split personality of, we are shit and a joke & taking to the field in a defeatist manner and the other side of we should be beating <insert country name>  by 3 or 4.

Edited by Tannadeechee

23 minutes ago, Darren44 said:

How does bringing more teams in and dropping the money teams get going to help?

In your idea the premiership, if top 6 is exactly the same as now. So how does that help?

The 14 team premiership was voted down by clubs as they feared in bottom 8 there would be too many meaningless games and £350000 minimum drop in budget?

We have teams in our top league that get paid almost less than a referee does! 

The top 2 can bring in a decent player of similar standing if they get an injury. Many others can't and it's youth or obviously a reserve player. That isn't going to change. Commercially they can bring in so much more money.

We know that money doesn't equal talent, but the minute another team challenges out come the "chequebooks" .  Even if the clubs do have ambition, the prospect of a more secure footing will win out.

Edited by Tannadeechee

1 hour ago, Darren44 said:

Well lets your ideas people. 

We could go back to the old system of two leagues of 16 but what would you do with teams who have zero to play for. I mean if you have nothing to play for its simply boring.

12 - 10 - 10 - 10 or 12 - 12 - 10 - 10 but that means a more congested championship to fit in the play offs 

2 hours ago, Darren44 said:

The Alternative and most radical is for an British League. However only the Glasgow clubs, Dundee sides, Edinburgh sides would be match. Maybe Aberdeen. The rest i doubt it. 

When you're a wee trolling fanny you can't use up big attempts like the above so early.

You've panicked and thrown out one of your trump cards far too soon.

You p***k.

Christ, not this Darren c**t again. "I think Scottish football's shit and here are my suggestions to make it worse".

Worst part is that I don't think he's trolling. He genuinely thinks Scottish football fans should sit up and take notice of the air biscuits floated by some nonentity because they watch a bit of EPL. Like strolling into your local Ladbrokes and laying down the law after seeing some high rollers during a visit to Las Vegas.

I'd like a 14 team top flight, but I'm not overly bothered either way.

I might be in the minority, but whilst it'd be nice if Scotland qualify for a major tournament I don't care enough for them to revamp our whole league set-up to just try and hope they do better. And I quite like the way the diddy clubs operate in Europe. We (I'm saying it as a collective - ignore the fact as a Dundee fan I haven't tasted Europe since the early-mid 00s) have a cracking season, get all hyped up, get a fantastic couple of foreign days out and then the rest of us collectively laugh our arses off as the team gets papped out and debate over where the latest result ranks in the worst ever list. Unless you're Killie - They just got a wee day trip to Wales, but it doubled the fun on here so all was not lost.

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I might be in the minority, but whilst it'd be nice if Scotland qualify for a major tournament I don't care enough for them to revamp our whole league set-up to just try and hope they do better. 

I'd be all for change, even a really radical one, if I thought it genuinely would impact on the stated objective of improving the national team.

Darren's nonsense, however, would make literally no difference to that at all.  He's just offering half baked, received drivel.  

I wonder what would happen to the size of the top flight if the Airdrie proposal of an 18 team second tier went through. 

I'd find it unlikely you see a 12-18-10 setup, firstly and most obviously because two clubs are missing.