League Reconstruction 20/21 season

26 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

16+ only gives 2 OF games so yer getting the big ol' f**k off there.

You can mess around with the 16 option as you like, look at the whacky Belgian Jupiter League, not sure if they're still using it, but you could fix it for 4 OF games easily enough. 

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You can mess around with the 16 option as you like, look at the whacky Belgian Jupiter League, not sure if they're still using it, but you could fix it for 4 OF games easily enough. 

Could you imagine some of the pea brained Old Firm Fans trying to understand what's going on if we were using that model here?!

Admittedly I only understand it as I've been playing Football Manager in Belgium recently.

34 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Still filming as of last week................

Ooft.  Thought I saw one of the Terrace podcast boys say it had finished a while back on twitter.  This will be proper car crash tv.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Was thinking that, they probably haven't done any filming since March. Shame.

They will just tack on the ‘highlights’ of the Tom English pod casts to bring us up to date

30 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Please explain a 'reasonable' setup where the OF play each other 4 times in a 16 team league.

Wouldnt call it reasonable but what Belgium do is...

16 team league. 

initial 30 game season so H&A once each. Team bottom season is over and they'r relegated in March and don't play again that season. The team top of the league below are now promoted (That league is only 8 teams - Lets not even get into how they decide who the winner of that is as its even more convoluted). 

there's then a split. Top 6. They then half the season points total and the top 6 play each other home and away again. 

Bottom ten are then split into two groups of 6 with the teams from 1st to 3rd joining them from the League below. All starting with 0 points. 

the winner of each bottom half group then have a playoff, the winner of that playoff plays the team finishing 4th in the top 6 for the final Europa League place. So in theory the team who finished 4th in the league below could qualify for Europe should they be successful. 

CAN WE PLEASE NOT ADOPT ANYTHING LIKE THIS!!!

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

2 hours ago, AberdeenHibee said:

Absolute belter.  They have reached complete and utter collective meltdown stage. Howling:

https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/189497-protest-guy-fawkes-masks/

"We need a mass protest at every point, semi final at hampden get everyone wearing Guy Fawkes masks as a nod to the fact we are going to tear down the establishment". 

image.png.2b5f5a440d1c9d784de489a7c4c4490a.png

Shouldn't they be wearing Get to Fawkes masks?

3 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

Is there going to be league reconstruction for next season?

Or was it just about saving Hearts?

No, no, thrice no to reconstruction of the top league.  The only change I would welcome would be for it to go to 18, but that is never, ever going to happen while we have the gruesome twosome here.

47 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yes, these are all significant problems. It's why when you hear chairmen on the radio saying 'I favour reconstruction' it drives me mad as it's such a vague concept..

However, if they could agree a clear purpose for reconstruction first and foremost i.e. do we want a more competitive league, do we want more emphasis on developing players for the national team, do we just want to maximise tv revenues etc etc etc then we might begin to get somewhere. What is the SPFL's mission statement? Objectives?

Obviously it can be a blend of the above elements but we really need to decide what we want from the game.

Reconstruction just for change's sake is pointless. The current set up isn't so bad that we just attempt a re-shuffle.

Do the OF want a more competetive league? No. They might say yes in public, but they'd never entertain any kind of play-off system akin to the Belgian league or an even more radical variant as it would lessen their advantage.

And the OF basically have a veto. Something which could have been altered when The Rangers were in the lower leagues, but....

Scottish fitba is screwed, has been for a long time, and there's no way out of it, because the member clubs all have different interests.

2 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Do the OF want a more competetive league? No. They might say yes in public, but they'd never entertain any kind of play-off system akin to the Belgian league or an even more radical variant as it would lessen their advantage.

And the OF basically have a veto. Something which could have been altered when The Rangers were in the lower leagues, but....

Scottish fitba is screwed, has been for a long time, and there's no way out of it, because the member clubs all have different interests.

Same goes for divide of TV money. 

They could give up their controlling share and spread evenly over the 12 teams if they wanted a more competitive league. The benefit to the other clubs of that even split would massively outweigh the loss to themselves!

17 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Wouldnt call it reasonable but what Belgium do is...

16 team league. 

initial 30 game season so H&A once each. Team bottom season is over and they'r relegated in March and don't play again that season. The team top of the league below are now promoted (That league is only 8 teams - Lets not even get into how they decide who the winner of that is as its even more convoluted). 

there's then a split. Top 6. They then half the season points total and the top 6 play each other home and away again. 

Bottom ten are then split into two groups of 6 with the teams from 1st to 4th joining them from the League below. All starting with 0 points. 

the winner of each bottom half group then have a playoff, the winner of that playoff plays the team finishing 4th in the top 6 for the final Europa League place. So in theory the team who finished 4th in the league below could qualify for Europe should they be successful. 

CAN WE PLEASE NOT ADOPT ANYTHING LIKE THIS!!!

I've read that three times and still can't get my head fully round it. 

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I've read that three times and still can't get my head fully round it. 

Might be partly how i phrased the post but can you imagine casual fans trying to get head around something like that 😐 trainwreck.

Also had to correct a mistake in it where I said 1st to 4th join the teams from bottom half. its first to third joining the 9 remaining bottom half teams. Doesn't make it any less mad or confusing though

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

11 minutes ago, ropy said:

I would entertain a 16 team league, 30 games then a split with 7 further games.

Somebody needs to buy out this 4 OF game clause.

a) Teams would never agree to a set-up where they could get 2 away games v the OF where another team gets 2 home games and you cannot avoid the possibility without fixing the fixtures.

b) Buy it out? Who? Scottish fitba is trying to attract money not give it away.

c) 16 teams would need teams such as Hibs, Aberdeen, Motherwell etc to be willing to share the wealth.

We can play this game for almost every scenario people dream up. The clubs vote for their own interests ergo the game is screwed.

Edited by ArabFC

2 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Same goes for divide of TV money. 

They could give up their controlling share and spread evenly over the 12 teams if they wanted a more competitive league. The benefit to the other clubs of that even split would massively outweigh the loss to themselves!

Yes, but they would no longer be able to hide behind the 'poor standard' of Scottish football whenever they perform badly in Europe & would be forced into self examination.   

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

They can't take points off them.

They can be fined or have their membership suspended.

It will be a fine.

They tried to relegate us and pretty much bankrupt us, had we gone down, with a -25pt penalty.  Admittedly we were run by shysters (again) but the action seemed to have more behind it than just applying a penalty.

43 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The SFA won't hammer Hearts or Thistle.

Slap on the wrist and move on, I suspect.

The sanction for this is set out as £500 (lower end offence), £2500 (mid range) and £5000 (top end).  There is a theoretical max of £0.5m/expulsion but to me it seems likely a £2.5k to £5k fine for the 2 clubs and then the circus moves on 

11 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Not sure why the little jibe about the OF veto. I'm not Stewart Milne.

The rest of your post is pure negativity. It might be rooted in some fact, and change will be very, very difficult but that attitude is very little use. You'd hope that the summers events will force clubs to look again at the governance of the game. It is clearly paralysing in any significant change.

3 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

They tried to relegate us and pretty much bankrupt us, had we gone down, with a -25pt penalty.  Admittedly we were run by shysters (again) but the action seemed to have more behind it than just applying a penalty.

That was the old SFL, not the SFA (or the SPFL). And yes, it was supposed to be a punishment for going into administration for the second time in a handful of years.