League Reconstruction 20/21 season

39 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Just looking back at the final table there to see how close it was, and got sidetracked looking at a few of the final tables around that era. I remember being a youngster at school in the 80's with the new firm of Alex Ferguson's Aberdeen and Jim McLean's United teams being competitive and up there with the OF for a few years, but I never realised how incredibly consistent both clubs were for a decent number of seasons. Here's their finishing positions for the 18 seasons from 1976-77 upto 1993-94:

Aberdeen:                3,2,4,1,2,2,3,1,1,4,4,4,2,2,2,6,2,2

Dundee United:     4,3,3,4,5,4,1,3,3,3,3,5,4,4,4,4,4,6

In a six year period in the eighties, there were only two OF title wins, including 3 consecutive seasons with no OF titles. Must have been brilliant. You realise even more how stale and shite our top league has become because of the financial clout of the big two.

Aye, I grew up through that too.  My Dad took me to the United European games and a fair few United v Aberdeen games.  Rangers were an irrelevance for half a decade in the 80's, Celtic less so but few titles.  Funny how the redtops never complained that Scottish football needed a strong OF back then. 

The national team was probably at it's best during that period too, 78-86 squads undoubtedly under performed but could have beaten anyone on their day.  Strange how the SFA don't look back to those years and wonder if the redistribution of money may have had the biggest impact on the decline of national team.

2 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

The national team was probably at it's best during that period too, 78-86 squads undoubtedly under performed but could have beaten anyone on their day.  Strange how the SFA don't look back to those years and wonder if the redistribution of money may have had the biggest impact on the decline of national team.

We just need to allow Celtic and Sevco Colts teams in the lower leagues and in a couple of years Spain, France, Germany and Brazil will be shiting it if they get drawn against us. 

8 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Aye, I grew up through that too.  My Dad took me to the United European games and a fair few United v Aberdeen games.  Rangers were an irrelevance for half a decade in the 80's, Celtic less so but few titles.  Funny how the redtops never complained that Scottish football needed a strong OF back then. 

Since they aren't the league body who distribute money, what difference wouldn it make if they did look back to then?

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Since they aren't the league body who distribute money, what difference wouldn it make if they did look back to then?

to be fair, the poster was writing about the national team, therefore the SFA could bring pressure on the league organisation through something innovative, like, let's think, Project Brave.

Project Brave costs the clubs more. It has nothing to do with the distribution of money.

It has everything to do with the distribution of money. The clubs who have achieved Elite level are given far more funding than the others.

9 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

The biggest factor in the decline of the national team is that other countries have invested heavily in coaching and youth development and left Scotland trailing.

51 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

What do you think they should do?

I don’t know, but I don’t have any experience in the football industry and it’s not my job to know.

I’m not sure what I said was ground breaking though, do you disagree? Comparative countries (population wise at least) are decades ahead of Scotland.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

I don’t know, but I don’t have any experience in the football industry and it’s not my job to know.

I’m not sure what I said was ground breaking though, do you disagree? Comparative countries (population wise at least) are decades ahead of Scotland.

What do you think would help as a fan?