League Reconstruction 20/21 season

5 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

Dirty Rovers b*****ds.... mon the Hibs...

I have to say the last few pages have been educational and a welcome break from Hearts relegation farewell..  Never heard about that American tournament... interesting stuff. Wiki rabbit hole sorted for a while 😂

There was another tournament prior to that, the New York Tournament. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Soccer_League

Dundee, Hearts & Kilmarnock (4 times) represented Scotland.

18 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

Dirty Rovers b*****ds.... mon the Hibs...

I have to say the last few pages have been educational and a welcome break from Hearts relegation farewell..  Never heard about that American tournament... interesting stuff. Wiki rabbit hole sorted for a while 😂

That tournament is the reason Dundee United wear tangerine. We wore mainly white with black strips. Wore tangerine strips (socks,tops and shorts) with blue numbers while playing as Dallas Tornados. Jerry Kerr's wife liked the colour and suggested it for the home strip and changed to it in '69. The rest as they say is history.

5d25c14aeb4d50.56668702-569x372.jpg

Edited by Tannadeechee

15 minutes ago, Sheep62 said:

Just had a quick look at this and will watch it later.

Few things strike me immediately though

Firstly picture is shite

Secondly pace of the game is incredible

Thirdly, there were no prisoners taken in some of the tackling/challenges. Fairly brutal at times and certainly not played in the friendliest of manners.

This was the third time that the two sides had played each other in the competition, and I might be making this up, but I think that there may have been some bad blood between them from the previous matches.

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

This was the third time that the two sides had played each other in the competition, and I might be making this up, but I think that there may have been some bad blood between them from the previous matches.

That was my recollection of it, too.

9 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

That tournament is the reason Dundee United wear tangerine. We wore mainly white with black strips. Wore tangerine strips (socks,tops and shorts) with blue numbers while playing as Dallas Tornados. Jerry Kerr's wife liked the colour and suggested it for the home strip and changed to it in '69. The rest as they say is history.

More fun trivia..

11 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

The Dons played with numbers on the front of their shirts in season 1967/68 after competing in the NASL, if IRC

13 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Any names in that squad that some of us (ahem) older chaps might recognise ? 

18 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Didn't know that, cheers!  There are loads of different theories why you guys refer to yourselves as Arabs, do you know which is the definitive version? 

4 minutes ago, andrewh said:

Chester City are an English team but play home games in Wales. Or so the story goes.

Chester City did a Sevco and are no more. Chester FC play at the Deva Stadium where the East stand is in England and the pitch and the other 3 stands are in Wales.

Chester City did a Sevco and are no more. Chester FC play at the Deva Stadium where the East stand is in England and the pitch and the other 3 stands are in Wales.

I thought I’d read that somewhere. Thanks for the info.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Used braziers to melt the ice but burned the grass off in the process.  Had to put down sand to make the pitch playable.

9 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Didn't know that, cheers!  There are loads of different theories why you guys refer to yourselves as Arabs, do you know which is the definitive version? 

Goes back to the big freeze in season 62/63 and I was at the game. https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/the-truth-why-are-dundee-united-supporters-called-arabs/

4 minutes ago, The DA said:

Used braziers to melt the ice but burned the grass off in the process.  Had to put down sand to make the pitch playable.

I think you quoted the wrong post.

Fortunately I know what you're on about, otherwise that would be totally incomprehensible...

The (un)subtle difference is of course Chester City FC were liquidated and the NEW club were formed with a change of name to reflect that situation. None of that ‘it was the company, not the club’ bullshit. See also Hereford, Halifax, Aldershot, Wrexham, Gretna and several others. I can think of only one Clumpany who sail serenely on denying the reality their ‘reformation’.

7 minutes ago, The DA said:

6 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Goes back to the big freeze in season 62/63 and I was at the game. https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/the-truth-why-are-dundee-united-supporters-called-arabs/

Thanks both!  So it is either down to the sand thing or some mad Pied-Piper guy?  'I'm Nasser & you are my Arabs!' I think * like that one the best!   

* I

Edited by Golden Gordon

8 minutes ago, Eednud said:

I prefer the other explanation in that article.

“At one particular game our cheerleader was full of it. I’ll never remember what game it was but he had a new line, a new cheer. He was on to something. After the warm-up he was heard to bellow – ‘I AM NASSER AND YOU ARE MY ARABS!’

“The Amalfi End cheerleader bore a striking resemblance to President Nasser. The same dark, receding hair line and, crucially, the pencil moustache and dusky complexion.

“So Nasser he became. I’d love to know what his real name was.

“United supporters have been Arabs ever since.”