League Reconstruction 20/21 season

1 hour ago, bluearmyfaction said:

Wolves were US champions in 1967.  Beat Aberdeen in a play-off.

This wasn't an official tournament of any sort, just a big invitational. Essentially the modern version of those tedious summer friendly tournaments where Real Madrid play AC Milan in front of 50,000 mugs in some hellhole in the US.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

What's Welsh about them? They're based in England and as far as I know all their players are Scousers apart from one Kiwi. 

Before they became Total Network Solutions and then The New Saints they were Llansantffraid which is in Wales. They groundshare  with Oswestry rugby which, although in England, is about 8 miles from Llansantffraid.

Edited by Arch Stanton

12 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

I was curious about Rapid Vienna and  I don't even think that's true. According to Wikipedia they won the German championships in World War 2, but the country was annexed by Nazi Germany at the time and the Austrian Leagues had been absorbed into the German system, so in both international and footballing terms they were de facto the same country, possibly without FIFA or International recognition.

Yep, Austria qualified for the 1938 World Cup but had to withdraw after the Anchsluss. Some of their players joined the German squad but star man and guid guy Matthias Sindelar refused. 

9 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Before they became Total Network Solutions and then The New Saints they were Llansantffraid which is in Wales. They groundshare  with Oswestry rugby which, although in England, is about 8 miles from Llansantffraid.

They merged with Oswestry Town and no longer have any connection with Llansantffraid, who started their own team, Llansantffraid Village who play on the old ground. Oswestry is a Shropshire market town, about as English as you can get.

16 minutes ago, Johan Cruyff said:

Clydebank didn't fold, their fans has raised the money to buy the club only for Jim Ballantyne to outbid them at the last minute and move them to Airdrie as Airdrie United due to Airdrieonians folding the previous year. 

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

17 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Yep, Austria qualified for the 1938 World Cup but had to withdraw after the Anchsluss. Some of their players joined the German squad but star man and guid guy Matthias Sindelar refused. 

And was subsequently murdered (poison?) I believe.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

This wasn't an official tournament of any sort, just a big invitational. Essentially the modern version of those tedious summer friendly tournaments where Real Madrid play AC Milan in front of 50,000 mugs in some hellhole in the US.

I think it was a bit more than that; it involved a proper league (well, two of them), 12 home-and-away games in each, and an 11 goal play-off final which, judging by the highlights, was somewhere between the Battle of Santiago and the Somme.

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

There were more teams than that - Bangu, Cerro, ADO The Hague, Shamrock Rovers, Cagliari

Saw Toronto City (Hibs) v Boston (Shamrock Rovers) in 1967 in Toronto, can’t remember much about it...

At least he managed to refrain from name-checking hibsarepants this time.  Progress of a sort, I suppose.
He's clearly trying to map a path back to the CoS which assumes he thinks the arbitration tribunal will go against them and that they will then "find" some legal impropriety to enable the case to return to the CoS. Looks to be preparing a pretty blatant route map to me

The Detroit Cougars v The Milwaukee Milfs would have been some game.

Ah the summer of '67 when UK teams competed in the USA and were given American names.
Those that competed were as follows:
Wolverhampton Wanderers became the LA Wolves, Aberdeen the Washington Whips, Hibs the Toronto City, Sunderland the Vancouver Royal Canadians, Stoke the Cleveland Stokers, Dundee United the Dallas Tornado, and Glentoran the Detroit Cougars.
As stated by bluearmyfaction LA Wolves beat Washington Whips 6-5 in the final.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
3 hours ago, Golden Gordon said:
At least he managed to refrain from name-checking hibsarepants this time.  Progress of a sort, I suppose.

He's clearly trying to map a path back to the CoS which assumes he thinks the arbitration tribunal will go against them and that they will then "find" some legal impropriety to enable the case to return to the CoS. Looks to be preparing a pretty blatant route map to me

Yes, that is also my fear, which I can't appear to shake off.  As you've highlighted before, just because Clark stated that he would not look favourably upon any shenanigans in the arbitration process, doesn't mean that Hearts/Thistle won't attempt it.  The SFA disciplinary hearing might provide ammunition to that cause. 

3 hours ago, Sheep62 said:

Aye fair enough min, I merely listed the UK teams that competed.

I am obviously far too young to actually remember it.

This link tells the story and pretty sure there are game highlights available somewhere online if you search

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/jul/14/united-soccer-association-championship-game-1967

Highlights of the final on RedTV.

2 hours ago, Sheep62 said:

Tell you what, every day is a school day right enough.

Knew Munro left us for Wolves and went on to play for them for years and years but didn't know he scored a hat trick against them in that match

Could he be the last defender of ours to score a hat trick until Consi against Dundee ?

Truth is stranger than fiction. Less than two months after his hat trick in the USA, Frannie Munro scored another hat trick in the 10-0 win over Reykjavik at Pittodrie in our first ever Euorpean match.

Live scenes from how the uneducated fan sees the arbitration panel getting underway 

Screenshot_2020-07-15-13-32-58-873_com_miui.gallery.thumb.png.15a70db9148ee08bdbe124dabf71ff18.png

Money is the key to end all your woes
Your ups and your downs, your highs and your lows
Won't you tell me last time that love bought you clothes?
It's like that, and that's the way it is

Bills fly higher every day
We receive much lower pay
I'd rather stay young, go out and play
It's like that, and that's the way it is
Huh!

43 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

6-1

Dirty Rovers b*****ds.... mon the Hibs...

I have to say the last few pages have been educational and a welcome break from Hearts relegation farewell..  Never heard about that American tournament... interesting stuff. Wiki rabbit hole sorted for a while 😂

Edited by Bohemian

7 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Highlights of the final on RedTV.

Just had a quick look at this and will watch it later.

Few things strike me immediately though

Firstly picture is shite

Secondly pace of the game is incredible

Thirdly, there were no prisoners taken in some of the tackling/challenges. Fairly brutal at times and certainly not played in the friendliest of manners.