League Reconstruction 20/21 season

1 hour ago, 8GamesToGo said:

Probably. It seems like anything goes. Listen, your club just appointed a manager who thinks relegating teams the way the SPFL did is unfair, or so he said while manager of Tranmere. Shouldn't you be trolling him with crying emojis or something?

What did your manager make of the decision to promote Dundee United?

23 minutes ago, Romeo said:

It's great because they can post on here with tears streaming down their faces and they'll still be a championship club next year.

While the premiership has started no less.  Gives them extra time to find a nice hotel for that trip to Arbroath I guess 

11 hours ago, 8GamesToGo said:

It doesn't say contact sport as far as I can see (could be wrong - maybe they clarified that later, I couldn't find anything). 

Anyhow, contact training has been allowed for a week or two right? So contact games could have started by now. As they have in many other leagues. Today is July 7. We could have finished the games starting last week or whenever contact training was allowed if you're right.

Fly me to the moon and let me play amoung the stars......

Guest 8GamesToGo

Contact games possibly starting this Saturday.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-and-st-mirren-await-green-light-saturday-friendly-2906927

It seems to be a process with the Scottish gov and the SPFL in constant contact.

Of course there's no chance at all that if the SPFL hadn't moved too quickly to end the league and had instead made restarting the league a priority like other leagues did 3 months ago they could have spent the last couple of months preparing safety protocols and working with the government to make it happen that those games could have started a week or two earlier, leaving time to play the last fixtures.

In fact the article says there are 4 weekends until the start of the season. That means 3-4 weeks. 2-3 games a week like in England. Done. Even easier if they'd just aimed for a week or two earlier. Treat it like a World Cup finals when games come thick and fast. 5 subs. Longer half times. Water breaks.

Edited by 8GamesToGo

Guest 8GamesToGo
6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

What did your manager make of the decision to promote Dundee United?

I'm sure he was delighted. This narrative that Hearts are targeting D Utd is ridiculous. There were other solutions that would have avoided this. D Utd voted against those. This is all on the SPFL and the clubs that voted out of self interest to end the league earlier than it needed to be ended and then refused to seriously engage with other options.

9 minutes ago, 8GamesToGo said:

In fact the article says there are 4 weekends until the start of the season. That means 3-4 weeks. 2-3 games a week like in England. Done. Even easier if they'd just aimed for a week or two earlier.

Do tell when a preseason was to take place within your cunning plan ? 

Guest 8GamesToGo
7 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Do tell when a preseason was to take place within your cunning plan ? 

So you want everything to be like a normal season? When are the clubs in England going to have their pre season? What have the players been doing the last 2 months? Training on their own I assume.

France played 7 games in 30 days at an elite level to win the last World Cup. No-one is telling me we couldn't have played the remaining games in July, especially as a number of them would be dead rubbers.

Of course there are issues, but it would have been possible with planning and imaginative ideas and if there was a will to get it done. Which there wasn't and there wasn't;t a will to discuss other alternatives seriously either. And it's worth asking why that was, which is why we're off to arbitration.

Edited by 8GamesToGo

14 minutes ago, 8GamesToGo said:

France played 7 games in 30 days at an elite level to win the last World Cup.

Well done. 

And if games can only start on Saturday, and next season starts on August 1st, then you're asking Rangers and St Johnstone to play 9 games in 17 days. I'm also giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you dont want play offs completed (England are playing their play offs...) which would mean a top flight side having to play 10 games in 17 days...

With the scheduling conflicts between Rangers and Celtic, you'd be demanding they play games on back to back days multiple times over the next two weeks.

But it's the SPFL who havent thought through a plan and rushed through a proposal without thinking it through <_<

Edited by RandomGuy.

Guest 8GamesToGo
4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well done. 

And if games can only start on Saturday, and next season starts on August 1st, then you're asking Rangers and St Johnstone to play 9 games in 17 days.

With the scheduling conflicts between Rangers and Celtic, you'd be demanding they play games on back to back days multiple times over the next two weeks.

But it's the SPFL who havent thought through a plan and rushed through a proposal without thinking it through <_<

I'm saying they could have delayed the decision to end the league and come up with a plan to play the remaining games in a 30 day period, even if it means delaying the season slightly or spacing games out at the start of the next season. If contact games can start this Saturday with a bit of effort and collaboration with the gov they could have started a week or so ago. That's time to play the games. If UEFA demands the league has to start August 1st (is there really no leeway to delay it slightly), surely that means just one fixture has to happen that day - hey presto the season has started. The rest can happen whenever the SPFL says they happen, even if it is 2 games a week for a while.

I get teams that voted for their titles or to escape possible relegation don't like these ideas but they certainly fit the "sporting integrity" description better than what happened with the ending of our league.

Edited by 8GamesToGo

Guest 8GamesToGo
6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That says more about you than anything else to be honest.

This is becoming extremely tedious.

The World Cup happens within a 30 day period. Of course they could have made it work. Hub stadiums, health and safety protocols, etc, etc. If other leagues can do it we could have. Players could have been put up in hotels for a month. Lots of solutions could have been found.

But yeah, it was a much better idea to end the league completely way earlier than it needed to be and not even explore these possibilities. It was a rushed decision to end the league in dubious circumstances, followed by a refusal to look at other options seriously, which is why we're off to arbitration. All of this stuff with D Utd and Raith could have been avoided.

There's been a huge human effort over the past few months to get around challenges raised by COVID. Businesses have adapted etc etc. The SPFL has shown zero leadership and willingness to even try.

Edited by 8GamesToGo

8 minutes ago, 8GamesToGo said:

I'm saying they could have delayed the decision to end the league and come up with a plan to play the remaining games in a 30 day period, even if it means delaying the season slightly or spacing games out at the start of the next season.

UEFA need European entrants confirmed by August 3rd, so the season had to be completed by then.

Sky, apparently, require the season to start August 1st.

There is barely enough matchdays available to complete a full 20/21 season anyway, due to the Euros now being next Summer and play offs etc., needing completed. You cannot schedule matchdays on days FIFA have already "claimed". The winter break had to be scrapped simply to get enough dates.

The government did not allow football to be played earlier. The SPFL and clubs have been petitioning to get training and matches played earlier than the government has allowed, for weeks.

There is no "30 day window" to complete next season. The SPFL and clubs have had no idea when football could restart, despite demanding to know, because the government have never told them. The August 1st date was scheduled as a start simply because it had to be, and it's still not been confirmed as being a permitted start date for the league yet.

You're argument seems.to have been shouldve waited until mid-July to end the season, as the government have point blank refused to set a date, or allow, contact football until this week.

Guest 8GamesToGo
1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're argument seems.to have been shouldve waited until mid-July to end the season, as the government have point blank refused to set a date, or allow, contact football until this week.

My argument is a decision didn't need to be made when it was. They could have spent a month or two from mid March planning and preparing to restart. If it didn't work out, end the league in mid June or something. No loss to anyone. At least they tried.

4 minutes ago, 8GamesToGo said:

The World Cup happens within a 30 day period. Of course they could have made it work. Hub stadiums, health and safety protocols, etc, etc. If other leagues can do it we could have. Players could have been put up in hotels for a month. Lots of things could have happened. 

But yeah, it was a much better idea to end the league completely and not even explore these possibilities. It was a rushed decision to end the league in dubious circumstances, followed by a refusal to look at other options seriously, which is why we're off to arbitration. All of this stuff with D Utd and Raith could have been avoided.

There's been a huge human effort over the past few months to get around challenges raised by COVID. The SPFL has shown zero leadership and willingness to even try.

The world cup FFS. Have a lie down.

Do players have 3 months of doing nothing but running prior to a world cup starting? Do the players find out with a weeks notice that a world cup is starting? Does the SPFL have the money that FIFA has to organise a tournament with all the infrastructure you talk about? A world cup is about 8 years in the making after the location is decided.

Your argument is so dumb it really isn't worth taking any further.

Guest 8GamesToGo
4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The world cup FFS. Have a lie down.

Do players have 3 months of doing nothing but running prior to a world cup starting? Do the players find out with a weeks notice that a world cup is starting? Does the SPFL have the money that FIFA has to organise a tournament with all the infrastructure you talk about? A world cup is about 8 years in the making after the location is decided.

Your argument is so dumb it really isn't worth taking any further.

It's not perfect but it's not a perfect situation is it? The WC is just an example of a lot of game sin a short period using hub stadiums. That could have been the model. Obviously fitness wouldn't be the best. So we use 5 subs and have water breaks and longer half times. Teams can play youth players.

Of course we could have played the remaining games if the will was there to make it happen. Christ if small and large businesses can completely pivot their operations almost overnight to survive this thing, we could have collectively found a way to make it work.

I had a look at the start of this thread and you (apologies if not) seemed to prefer the null and void option. What changed?

Edited by 8GamesToGo

Guest 8GamesToGo
4 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

This boy is either at it, or possibly the thickest jambo yet to come over from JKB, which in itself is some achievement. Using the World Cup as a comparison indeed 😂

That's quite something from a fan of the club that caused this whole thing.

7 minutes ago, 8GamesToGo said:

My argument is a decision didn't need to be made when it was. They could have spent a month or two from mid March planning and preparing to restart. 

THEY DIDNT END THE SEASON UNTIL MAY.

OVER 2 MONTHS WENT PAST BETWEEN THE SUSPENSION OF THE SEASON AND THE OFFICIAL ENDING OF THE SEASON. 

WHAT DO YOU THINK THEY WERE DOING FOR TWO MONTHS?

I've made this really easy to read, since I've already said this to you three times and you seem unable to process it. I can't await for your fourth attempt at arguing the league was called too early and a mid-May time wouldve more appropriate 😂

Edited by RandomGuy.