League Reconstruction 20/21 season

4 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Green Day - I get how Hearts have enemies and how Hibbies in particular would want to stick it to us. But no reasonable person could argue that Partick (or Falkirk) deserve what they are being dished up, surely to fck?

Falkirk deserve it as part of the "everyone hates Falkirk and will do anything to keep them out the top flight" agreement every club and politician in Scotland agreed to 60 years ago

21 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If the 14-10-10-10 set-up is temporary, then that implies that we would be returning to 12-10-10-10 after some unspecified but short period of time (eg 2 years). To allow this to happen, two clubs would have to be relegated from each division, including League 2.

If the grown ups could sit round a table and discuss it sensibly then I'm sure there could be a workable alternative to 14-10-10-10  or indeed 12-10-10-10 . If there was no alternative but to return to the present system then a graded approach could be accommodated over a couple of years to achieve that. 

Anything is possible with sensible dialogue . Unfortunately though the events of the last couple of months have shown that is nigh impossible .  This bunch couldn't agree on the colour of their own shite. 

17 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Makes it harder and harder for AB to press the red button because as each day passes, legal action gets more disruptive and potentially damaging for the SPFL if they lose. And despite the fans' view, she isn't trigger happy.

What is it they say on Kickback “ press the nuclear button and destroy all the diddy clubs”. While at the same time stating they only want the best for Scottish football.

3 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I don't know where you get the 3 relegation spots from . Nothing would have needed to change as regards the bottom league . 

You get them because otherwise it's not temperary. If you don't have 3 relegation spots (or 2 plus 1 play-off) the following season (or the season after, depending when this temperary period ended) you are permanently adding 2 teams to the league.

You are either suggesting permanent change with the addition of 2 teams. Or you are suggesting temperary change with 3 relegation spots the next season. I don't know which, but neither would have been passed by clubs 2 months ago, which was your original point.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If any legal action was possible Partick wouldve done it months ago, when they claimed they had everything in place to do so.

Their pathetic, mewling, backtrack when not one single club backed down after that "threat" will be nothing compared to Budges, especially after her pished rantings about going to court.

The only ‘backtrack’ you’ll get from Budge will be something along the lines of, we have decided to now get on with playing in the championship.  This is for the good of Scottish football and all the clubs. 

7 minutes ago, Bose said:

The only ‘backtrack’ you’ll get from Budge will be something along the lines of, we have decided to now get on with playing in the championship.  This is for the good of Scottish football and all the clubs. 

Of course even if Mrs Budge does see sense and back down there's still the likelihood that Leslie Deans will take the SPFL to the highest court in the land with his cast-iron case against them. 

Unless somebody somewhere needs some urgent conveyancing work done.

20 minutes ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

Serious question, is geography still a factor in determining one's allegiance to the (two biggest) Edinburgh clubs? I mean I'm obviously aware that Leith is traditionally Hibs and Gorgie Hearts, but is that still relevant? Also I thought religion is, or certainly was, a factor, too. 

I’m a Hibs fan living in Glasgow but was borne and brought up in Edinburgh. I would say geography is the most important factor determining which of the city’s two teams you decide to support assuming you take an interest in football. So if you are in North and East of City tends to be Hibs and if you are in West and South of city more likely a Jambo. Maybe what team your dad supports is also a key influence as well as friends and family. Religion isn’t much of an influence - I think less than 15% of Edinburgh’s population is Catholic. I was brought up in the Southside of the City and aint a Catholic but my best mates at school were Hibbies thus the choice I made.  

18 minutes ago, Yorky said:

What is it they say on Kickback “ press the nuclear button and destroy all the diddy clubs”. While at the same time stating they only want the best for Scottish football.

Do they actually say that, though? Or have you just made it up?

2 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

You get them because otherwise it's not temperary. If you don't have 3 relegation spots (or 2 plus 1 play-off) the following season you are permanently adding 2 teams to the league.

You are either suggesting permanent change with the addition of 2 teams. Or you are suggesting temperary change with 3 relegation spots the next season. I don't know which, but neither would have been passed by clubs 2 months ago, which was your original point.

Why does temporary mean it has to be changed the next season ? 

It might be the case that the temporary set up actually works and could be permanently  adopted. ...............By permanent I would assume until the next administration/ TV company  wants to change things again. 

My original point was that any sensible dialogue now is near impossible due to the fall outs caused by indecision  at the start. Unfortunately the damage was done then and is clouding people's judgement now. 

1 minute ago, theoriginalhedge said:

It might be the case that the temporary set up actually works and could be permanently  adopted. ...............By permanent I would assume until the next administration/ TV company  wants to change things again. 

My original point was that any sensible dialogue now is near impossible due to the fall outs caused by indecision  at the start. Unfortunately the damage was done then and is clouding people's judgement now. 

I would argue that it was not indecision that was the problem, but a clear and unambiguous rule for what happens in the event of a season not finishing all games. We have had two world wars that interrupted things, so why have various authorities over the years not inserted a rule to cover this type of eventuality? Had it been there, then no debate was required.

2 minutes ago, madhibby said:

I’m a Hibs fan living in Glasgow but was borne and brought up in Edinburgh. I would say geography is the most important factor determining which of the city’s two teams you decide to support assuming you take an interest in football. So if you are in North and East of City tends to be Hibs and if you are in West and South of city more likely a Jambo. Maybe what team your dad supports is also a key influence as well as friends and family. Religion isn’t much of an influence - I think less than 15% of Edinburgh’s population is Catholic. I was brought up in the Southside of the City and aint a Catholic but my best mates at school were Hibbies thus the choice I made.  

Thanks for replying, pal. Remember Edinburgh City have now been promoted into the SPFL, though I appreciate they're one of the diddiest of all clubs.

Hibs obviously have an Irish history, as reflected by their name, colour and badge, so I would have thought that must have some bearing on who one would support. Also I'd imagine if I were one of the 15% of Catholics that live in the city I'd probably not choose to support Hearts. I'm not especially familiar with Edinburgh, besides the touristy bits, but aren't the north and east of the city considered the less affluent areas, e.g. Muirhouse and Leith? 

A lot of my 'knowledge' of Edinburgh comes from Irvine Welsh's fiction, btw, which is why I asked in the first place. I can't imagine Renton, Sickboy, Spud and Bruce Robertson are exactly representative of Edinburghers, but I do like to think there's some truth in it somewhere. 

31 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

If the grown ups could sit round a table and discuss it sensibly then I'm sure there could be a workable alternative to 14-10-10-10  or indeed 12-10-10-10 . If there was no alternative but to return to the present system then a graded approach could be accommodated over a couple of years to achieve that. 

Anything is possible with sensible dialogue . Unfortunately though the events of the last couple of months have shown that is nigh impossible .  This bunch couldn't agree on the colour of their own shite. 

There's no need for reconstruction. Who was calling for it in January?

28 minutes ago, Fawkirk Wull said:

Ok  tell me why then

Hearts probably won't actually take legal action and if they do they'll lose. Pretty sure the SPFL are very confident about that.

Delaying for Sky? Eh? If anything they'd rush things to ensure the league starts as proposed in order to fulfil the conditions of the Sky contract.

8 minutes ago, Yorky said:

No that’s actually been said.

Wow. Hilarious. There are some bad b*****ds supporting Scottish football clubs. I do love it, though. 😃😂

The internet is one of the best things ever for footy fans, IMHO. In decades gone by you'd mostly just see away supporters in the away end and milling about the stadium, unless you were playing a local side, in which case you may be acquainted with a few. But nowadays you can read each others'opinions 24/7, and even better, because folk are anonymous, you actually see what utter b*****ds they really are. 

1 minute ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Either way, putting a proposal to clubs on a temporary reconstruction would have to contain some 'end point' where the leagues reverted back, or as you say, became permanent. And you're right, it may have become permanent, but there's also a good chance that it wouldn't and as a result clubs who are League 2 regulars are highly unlikely to vote for something which would increase their chances of being relegated in the near future. Why would they? Brora and Kelty would be very strong opponents.

I don't disagree that sensible dialogue is impossible. And I'm not arguing the merits of any particular system. My disagreement was the assertion that all this could have been fixed with a simple temporary reconstruction at the start of it all. Exactly the same debate that we are having, and that everyone else has had, would have happened regardless when discussing what temperary solution to go for, how long for etc. And as we're seeing now, the vote simply wouldn't have passed anyway.

13 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

I would argue that it was not indecision that was the problem, but a clear and unambiguous rule for what happens in the event of a season not finishing all games. We have had two world wars that interrupted things, so why have various authorities over the years not inserted a rule to cover this type of eventuality? Had it been there, then no debate was required.

That is it in a nutshell. I don't think any nation did though, that I've heard anyway, may be wrong? So I wouldn't particularly blame our authorities for that. However, it is clearly something that needs agreed before any new season starts.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever