League Reconstruction 20/21 season

7 minutes ago, Zing. said:

Few Hearts fans still adamant that the SPFL will be forcing through a reconstruction of the leagues whether the clubs want it or not. Looking forward to seeing how that one plays out. 

Genuinely haven't seen anyone I know suggest that.  Everyone knows there's not going to be a reconstruction plan passed.

42 minutes ago, virginton said:

That's only sometimes the case and even when it happens there are still always teams with 'nothing to play for' in the last ten games of the season. Here's League Two this season as an example:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-two/table

There was indeed a big promotion race at the top but next to nothing going on at the bottom, so if you're Oldham or Carlisle then you had nothing to play for when the season stopped in March. The same is true to a lesser extent in League One, if you're Blackpool or Bristol Rovers then there's absolutely no point in restarting this league:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/table

The only country where we hear constant gnashing of teeth against the idea of clubs ever being comfortably in midtable and not having a decisive game every single week is in Scotland, an attitude that has contributed so much to our stunningly high standard of football and such well-run and stable businesses across the four national leagues.

Yeah, fair enough, I've probably overstated it slightly. But I think we're agreeing on the core point: you never hear anyone complaining about it and they are very successful/competitive leagues (albeit with some mental overspending in some cases).

Will be interesting to see what my local club (Sunderland) make of the inevitable decision to sack off their season. Absolutely laughable football club.

3 hours ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Because they discard 95% of their youth players there are only there, as has been said previously as jersey fillers 

And both Celtic and Rangers shop in the Scottish market to weaken other teams to weaken them so that they are not a  challenge to them

More mince,Celtic play 60 games a season it's not about hindering players careers it's about staying at the top and making sure we have at least two players for every position.
Celtic need a Tierney behind an Izaguirre, a Morgan behind a forrest just like any other club.
The key to staying at the top is making sure your quality of player doesn't drop when the squad is stretched.

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:
3 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Even ignoring their top league in 16 years working down south I’ve never heard any fans of English League 1 or 2 teams crying about meaningless games and wanting smaller divisions 24 teams in that division. The reality is playing each team 4 times a season is utterly shite but the top division smaller clubs are too reliant on away gates from the Ugly Sisters.

If you're including St. Mirren as one of the smaller clubs then no, we're not.

Indeed!

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/st-mirren/attendances

4 minutes ago, Yorky said:

He will leave Rangers, won’t get near the first team and probably end up getting loaned out to one team after another.

Why would he want to leave ……… there paying him 4.5k a week for the next 3 years ……… great business model 

2 hours ago, JamesM82 said:

EFL teams are voting today on how to end the season if they can't play all the games. This is highly likely in L1 or L2, as they are only expecting to play the playoff matches at those levels. Championship (which is one of the richest leagues in Europe) is resuming the weekend after next, but this would also apply to them if anything goes wrong.

BBC says they expect all the amendments tabled by clubs out of self-interest (e.g. cancelling relegation, or tweaking the PPG formula) to fail, and that relegation and promotion places will just be decided on simple points average. Sounds familiar. Championship teams don't want to scrap relegation from the EFL divisions in case the EPL does something similar.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52971628

BBC got this right - all the amendments were defeated. So the EFL will use simple points average for its divisions that are not completed, and promotion and relegation will happen as normal. The Championship will restart next week, but League 1 and League 2 will end in a similar way to the SPFL.

Edited by JamesM82

2 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Mince,you can't say Celtic haven't done a great job in providing players for the national team or playing at a good level.
Ralston,2 Hendersons,Tierney,McGregor,Forrest,Johnston plus the ones that improved at Celtic Brown,Armstrong,Griffiths Christie hopefully Taylor. then you have the players that didn't quite make the grade Morgan and Allan.

Only three of those players have been developed through Celtics youth academy and made an impact in the Scottish national squad (equal to the number of St Mirren youth graduates in Scotland squads over the last year). Plenty of examples of players that fall away when trying to reach the higher level.  

Just highlighting promising young players that Celtic were able to sign or young players that haven't made it yet doesn't really progress your point. Celtic and Rangers youth academy over the last 15-20 years has been largely a failure. That includes Rangers playing at the levels the colts would be, where are all these promising young players now? 

English League 1 and League 2 clubs are now voting if they are to end the season immediately. They have all voted that the League tables will be settled by a points-per-game format, while promotion and relegation both remain in place if it ends now. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52705124

Someone go and pass on the details of the lawyer Ann Budge intends on using?   Will we see the same crass smear campaigns from all of the EFL losers?

10 minutes ago, AberdeenHibee said:

Someone go and pass on the details of the lawyer Ann Budge intends on using?

I think - think - that there might be more than one litigation lawyer who will be prepared to talk gullible football clubs into pursuing spurious claims, given that they'll get paid in any event.

26 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

BBC got this right - all the amendments were defeated. So the EFL will use simple points average for its divisions that are not completed, and promotion and relegation will happen as normal. The Championship will restart next week, but League 1 and League 2 will end in a similar way to the SPFL.

Looking at BBC site it would appear leagues called but still having play offs?

4 minutes ago, pansjambo said:

Looking at BBC site it would appear leagues called but still having play offs?

Hence why I said "similar". The regular league seasons are being stopped and positions decided by PPG, and anyone in an automatic promotion or relegation place is being promoted or relegated. The only difference, which I think is a bit ridiculous, is that the playoff competitions are being played using the teams in those positions according to PPG.

If the SPFL had done what the EFL is doing, Hearts would have been relegated and Dundee United promoted (same), but Accies, ICT, Dundee, Ayr and so on would have had to keep their teams together and then play their playoff ties whenever they were ready to play.

33 minutes ago, AberdeenHibee said:

English League 1 and League 2 clubs are now voting if they are to end the season immediately. They have all voted that the League tables will be settled by a points-per-game format, while promotion and relegation both remain in place if it ends now. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52705124

Someone go and pass on the details of the lawyer Ann Budge intends on using?   Will we see the same crass smear campaigns from all of the EFL losers?

Yes.

I'm off to create a website detailing my experience in this field, and hopefully I can scam some shitey club like Grimsby out of some money, or at least some scampi.

Craig Levein's latest tears:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52977449

Alarmingly, he ends with this;

"One thing that this lockdown has taught me is I'm not ready to hang up my managerial coat. I want to keep working," he told BBC Scotland's The Nine.

"I've still got a burning desire to be involved in football. Whether that's as a director of football or manager, I don't know. You'll see me pop back up somewhere I'm sure."

I urge every club to put up a poster of him at the main entrance with 'Do not admit' written in red highlighter.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

"One thing that this lockdown has taught me is I'm not ready to hang up my managerial coat. I want to keep working," he told BBC Scotland's The Nine.

"I've still got a burning desire to be involved in football. Whether that's as a director of football or manager, I don't know. You'll see me pop back up somewhere I'm sure."

I urge every club to put up a poster of him at the main entrance with 'Do not admit' written in red highlighter.

On the other hand, St Johnstone are in need of a new manager...