League Reconstruction 20/21 season

10 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

A global pandemic would be the short answer, I asked you a question yesterday and you didn't answer it.
As a Clyde fan being the top team in the bottom 14 does it give Clyde a better chance to be promoted?

Promoted only to be almost certainly relegated back from whence they came when the big reversal happens

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

The split happens too early in the season in the 14 format.  

Teams could end up operating with two different squads, one going full throttle in the league at the start then a scaled down one from January as their aspirations are cut to seventh place.

Why would it be a downside for clubs to be more adaptive to their position as the division goes on, instead of spunking money on utter shite on long term deals throughout (see Midlothian, Heart of)?

In any case the straightforward solution is to include the team that finishes top of the bottom section of the league in the first round of a playoff system for European spots, which gives teams an extra incentive to not down tools after the split that doesn't exist in the current setup.

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Best you log off then.

😂 Bennett levels of banter... you are his number one fan after all...

Shall we leave it there old man, starting to clog the thread with nonsense 

Edited by Bohemian

36 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That's just personal preference. If we get into that you'd be here all day with several different answers.

We're being presented with one option that is apparently crucial to save Scottish football i.e. we're being told this is about more than just saving Hearts from relegation. So my question is, why? Why is 12-10-10-10 going to send us into peril and 14-14-14 is the saviour? I can't see it.

My guess behind the thinking is a bottom league of 14 would allow all these teams to hibernate until ready to play.  As it stands some teams in League One will be in a better position to play more quickly, and will actually be harmed if they go indefinitely into shutdown, Falkirk & Partick for e.g.  So they move up to the Championship with other teams who can probably shut down for a bit but need to get back playing soonish.

So in essence you're grouping all the teams who can't play into one league at the bottom and allowing them to come out when it suits, without it ruining two divisions and hampering teams who have no way of shutting down indefinitely.

It might not be perfect but they are clearly trying to align clubs for a general consensus while also addressing issues like Partick being relegated unfairly and Falkirk not getting a chance at promotion.

46 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That's just personal preference. If we get into that you'd be here all day with several different answers.

We're being presented with one option that is apparently crucial to save Scottish football i.e. we're being told this is about more than just saving Hearts from relegation. So my question is, why? Why is 12-10-10-10 going to send us into peril and 14-14-14 is the saviour? I can't see it.

Maybe they're worried that quite a few teams are in money trouble but saying "we're fine,we're fine" just hanging on for a first instalment of SPFL money once they get some kind of SKY payment in August? But if 3 teams in say, the Championship fold by October, you're left with 6 opponents. Could equally likely be any division btw. Richey Edwards post might have been a joke, but it's not all that daft.

1 minute ago, Tony Wonder said:

My guess behind the thinking is a bottom league of 14 would allow all these teams to hibernate until ready to play.  As it stands some teams in League One will be in a better position to play more quickly, and will actually be harmed if they go indefinitely into shutdown, Falkirk & Partick for e.g.  So they move up to the Championship with other teams who can probably shut down for a bit but need to get back playing soonish.

So in essence you're grouping all the teams who can't play into one league at the bottom and allowing them to come out when it suits, without it ruining two divisions and hampering teams who have no way of shutting down indefinitely.

It might not be perfect but they are clearly trying to align clubs for a general consensus while also addressing issues like Partick being relegated unfairly and Falkirk not getting a chance at promotion.

Fair enough but that suggests we have 28 clubs who are ready to play behind closed doors, don't think that's the case? Seems more likely that only the top 14 would be ready for a start soon.

21 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

In a way, and my point still stands. You'd get 42 different answers on what is the best set up.

For the bottom teams it's a shorter journey to the top plus I have my doubts that it's temporary.
The championship will be more interesting with more part time clubs gives them a chance to look at full time.
Arbroath has set the standard last season if they want to stay part time.

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Fair enough but that suggests we have 28 clubs who are ready to play behind closed doors, don't think that's the case? Seems more likely that only the top 14 would be ready for a start soon.

My take, and it could very well be wrong, is they are suggesting top 14 can start as and when ready.  Championship need to play soon, but have lower permanent staff numbers etc so could hibernate until some form of socially distant crowd is allowed back and play a curtailed season.  Bottom division holds off until all crowds are back. 

Obviously within that there'll be some exceptions which is where it becomes even more difficult. 

18 minutes ago, virginton said:

Why would it be a downside for clubs to be more adaptive to their position as the division goes on, instead of spunking money on utter shite on long term deals throughout (see Midlothian, Heart of)?

In any case the straightforward solution is to include the team that finishes top of the bottom section of the league in the first round of a playoff system for European spots, which gives teams an extra incentive to not down tools after the split that doesn't exist in the current setup.

I was actually thinking about it from a players point of view, six month contracts would become the norm.

The European play offs would introduce too many games, one of the participants is likely to be in the Cup final too.

18 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

So this is more of an invitation set up and all clubs would go back to their rightful place once the pandemic is over?

5 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

My take, and it could very well be wrong, is they are suggesting top 14 can start as and when ready.  Championship need to play soon, but have lower permanent staff numbers etc so could hibernate until some form of socially distant crowd is allowed back and play a curtailed season.  Bottom division holds off until all crowds are back. 

Obviously within that there'll be some exceptions which is where it becomes even more difficult. 

That does make reasonable sense, and makes me feel that it isn't completely bat shit mental. I'm not convinced you couldn't do similar with the current set up though.