League Reconstruction 20/21 season

1 minute ago, elgin proud said:

3 x 14 is an improvement to the current model. Expand the play offs and let's go. 

Not for just two years and not to save already relegated clubs in the meantime though. 

Presumably Ann 'successful businesswoman with the best interests of the game at heart' Budge will either generously grant those two amendments or agree to defer implementation of her grand plan until the end of the 20/21 season. 

Can someone please clarify what the wording of this legal action is likely to be?  Is it something like, a global pandemic caused the football season to be halted while Hearts were bottom of the league.  The SPFL, of which we are a voting member, decided to hold a vote to determine if the league could be at some point be completed or if it should be considered finished and placings decided on a points per game average.  We lost that vote, which no one has suggested was undemocratic, so we are going to scream and scream and scream until we get what we want. 

There must be something I am not seeing here.

Edited by Bose

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fair point.

Suspect there'll be a cash cow at Tynecastle again next season so fans can fund a court battle. You certainly cant expect a football club to fund itself.

That can't be right, all clubs magically fund themselves. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

That can't be right, all clubs magically fund themselves. 

Most clubs with £15m+ turnover dont rely on outside investors and the fans, tbh.

Hearts fans are incredibly blind to how poorly your whole club is run.

3 minutes ago, Bose said:

Can someone please clarify what the wording of this legal action is likely to be?  Is it something like, a global pandemic caused the football season to be halted while Hearts were bottom of the league.  The SPFL, of which we are a voting member, decided to hold a vote to determine if the league could be at some point be completed or if it should be considered finished and placings decided on a points per game average.  We lost that vote, which no one has suggested was undemocratic, so we are going to scream and scream and scream until we get what we want. 

I agree, I can't see the basis for the complaint.

The only thing I can see is to go over the whole voting process/Dundee late vote issue again and call it dodgy. But even then, if the vote was done again you'd get exactly the same outcome. I just can't see the legal grounds either.

40 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Let's just say that Hearts do take legal action. And somehow win because there was a possibility of them not finishing bottom, or being relegated in a playoff. Why would every other club not take the same legal action for what they could have done? Hibs could have finished 3rd and qualified for Europe. Prize money for finishing higher in the league plus European football would be worth I'd guess around 2m to Hibs for example. Rangers could potentially say that they could have won the league and qualified for the Champions League, that's worth probably 20m to them.

Now it's blatantly obvious that the SPFL don't have the money to pay these liabilities. So in this scenario the SPFL would be liquidated and Hearts in the best case scenario would be entitled to a part of the assets they have. Which is f**k all.

Because they were not on the end of a rushed, misleading board recommendation with a big money-carrot attached. There were 3 options - "call it", "null and void it", "play it whenever possible. No option was perfect. But if they had all been put to the clubs (without the clearly separable money issue) and the vote was to "call it" then yes Hearts, Partick, Falkirk, Stranraer would be pissed off, but everybody would have had to accept it.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Most clubs with £15m+ turnover dont rely on outside investors and the fans, tbh.

Hearts fans are incredibly blind to how poorly your whole club is run.

We know how poorly the football side of our club has been run.  

6 minutes ago, Bose said:

This is the part you're getting wrong. The argument goes 'We lost that vote because Dundee changed their mind unfairly because Alloa was a big meanie and therefore only 80% of Scottish League Clubs would have voted for the proposal so it failed to pass due to the SPFL voting structure. Therefore there was a very real chance that 80% of Scottish League Clubs would instantly choose to vote for the exact opposite proposal and save us from relegation, therefore we demand money/our league places back/the league to be stopped while clubs go bankrupt muhahaHA!'

That's one approach.

The other approach is that 'Scottish League Clubs had a legal duty of care to Hearts to all vote to protect them from relegation because they had a small chance of getting a higher league place if they'd played 8 more games, therefore the law should outright abolish democracy in this instance'.

Neither look like a goer to my, admittedly completely legally untrained mind.

12 minutes ago, Bose said:

If the clubs were misled in the board paper that they had one or two days to digest, and if alternatives were improperly withheld from them, let alone the Dundee vote nonsense, then I would think that would be the basis for the case.

12 minutes ago, Bose said:

They know fine well they have no chance going down the legal route, it's an empty threat to the rest of Scottish football in the hope that clubs crumble and give in. If clubs call their bluff, which they almost certainly will by rejecting this recommendation, they are going to have to go ahead to save face with their fans, costing them a fortune for no benefit, or find an excuse to back out.

1 hour ago, Miko’s Dive said:

No. Had we finished bottom after 38 games then it would be relegated. 

We were expelled on the whim of a vote carried out by teams with direct interest in our expulsion. Including your team. 

:lol:

5 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Because they were not on the end of a rushed, misleading board recommendation with a big money-carrot attached. There were 3 options - "call it", "null and void it", "play it whenever possible. No option was perfect. But if they had all been put to the clubs (without the clearly separable money issue) and the vote was to "call it" then yes Hearts, Partick, Falkirk, Stranraer would be pissed off, but everybody would have had to accept it.

How is the money issue clearly separable? How would you suggest prize money get divvied up with a null league? Wouldn't there be a completely different contractual obligations as regards TV money had games been played versus games been not played? You're the guy who thinks 'TV games with loud crowds' is in a different legal situation to 'TV games with no atmosphere' yet here you are telling me to ignore the blatant screaming obvious financial consequences of paying games versus not playing games.

1 minute ago, Pet Jeden said:

If the clubs were misled in the board paper that they had one or two days to digest, and if alternatives were improperly withheld from them, let alone the Dundee vote nonsense, then I would think that would be the basis for the case.

Couple of big ifs there. Pretty sure they won’t be able to go down the legal route until they’ve been to the  SFA then to CAS. The courts will ask if all internal routes have been explored before they get involved. 

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

You are a stellar example of why people are unsympathetic to Hearts' plight. 

You didn't answer the question though. Why should they vote to push through a temporary plan that will see half the league teams displaced in two years from now? 

According to @Miko’s Dive half of them won't be around next season never mind the one after that, so getting relegated isn't going to be a problem for them.

Edited by Jacksgranda
got the poster wrong!!

1 minute ago, Aim Here said:

How is the money issue clearly separable? How would you suggest prize money get divvied up with a null league? Wouldn't there be a completely different contractual obligations as regards TV money had games been played versus games been not played? You're the guy who thinks 'TV games with loud crowds' is in a different legal situation to 'TV games with no atmosphere' yet here you are telling me to ignore the blatant screaming obvious financial consequences of paying games versus not playing games.

1. Because they had to change their rules anyway to stop the league and relegate Hearts. They could also have changed their rules to pay out money based on positions at early March.

2. No, I'm the guy that thinks SPFL games without crowds will considered by SKY to be a bit meh and they will therefore be looking for ways to chip that £30m p.a.