League Reconstruction 20/21 season

20 minutes ago, Lebowski said:
31 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:
What bit of exclusive do you not understand ???? 

They're the exclusive TV broadcaster. They don't have streaming rights.

The fact that they don't have streaming rights does not mean that they do not have control over which games can be streamed in the UK. I would be astonished if their broadcasting deal didn't include an assurance that no games would be streamed in the UK on any other platform. Indeed, several of their competitors when they bought the rights last year were streaming platforms - Eleven Sports and Amazon Prime were rumoured to have been interested, and YouTube may also have been. Of course, Sky do actually stream games via SkyGo and NowTV anyway.

Your argument about clubs being worried about attendances dropping doesn't really cover the fact that even sold out games are not streamed on club TV platforms, even if they are outside the Saturday 3pm window.

20 minutes ago, Lebowski said:
24 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:
Not by my reading of it
“We’re particularly pleased that we have been able to agree a deal for the Ladbrokes Premiership matches on an exclusive basis with a single live broadcast partner.

"Broadcaster" look it up.

Anytime you broadcast a video stream, you have the rights for that content. Unless you sign away those rights, all rights belong to you, the broadcaster.

28 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

No it doesn't because 3pm games were banned from being on TV or streamed in the UK. Now they aren't.

Just to expand on this point, the reason clubs don't show their games on the Internet is because they think (probably correctly) that it would batter their attendance figures.

No, the reason clubs cant stream games in the UK is because its not allowed as part of the media rights given to the clubs by the SPFL.

Those rights also dictate when highlights can be published and change depending on whether the game is being covered by another broadcaster eg Sky

The fact that they don't have streaming rights does not mean that they do not have control over which games can be streamed in the UK. I would be astonished if their broadcasting deal didn't include an assurance that no games would be streamed in the UK on any other platform. Indeed, several of their competitors when they bought the rights last year were streaming platforms - Eleven Sports and Amazon Prime were rumoured to have been interested, and YouTube may also have been. Of course, Sky do actually stream games via SkyGo and NowTV anyway.
Your argument about clubs being worried about attendances dropping doesn't really cover the fact that even sold out games are not streamed on club TV platforms, even if they are outside the Saturday 3pm window.
But those are the games that Sky are broadcasting on TV. They will have exclusive rights to those games.

I honestly don't believe that clubs have signed away their rights to showing games to Sky, why would they have done that? Sky have developed a model which means that they are giving clubs in England so much cash that they're not going to jeopardise that by starting a rival broadcasting service which undermines them. I also think that Scottish clubs will have calculated that showing games online would undermine their crowds. The best funded club in Scotland has devoted a fuckload of resources to stop any streaming of games.

17 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

But those are the games that Sky are broadcasting on TV. They will have exclusive rights to those games.

I honestly don't believe that clubs have signed away their rights to showing games to Sky, why would they have done that? Sky have developed a model which means that they are giving clubs in England so much cash that they're not going to jeopardise that by starting a rival broadcasting service which undermines them. I also think that Scottish clubs will have calculated that showing games online would undermine their crowds. The best funded club in Scotland has devoted a fuckload of resources to stop any streaming of games.

Think you’ll find they have for £30M per season for the next 5 years 

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Considering Sky set the benchmark by not renegotiating a deal to show the Bundesliga, and are paying the exact same to show closed door games as they expected to pay for games with crowds, I'm not really sure what "loophole" they can find.

Contracts are contracts, it doesnt matter if its Scottish football you're showing or Latvian. Sky agreed to show German football behind closed doors under an existing "with crowd" contract, so they cannot change that for Scotland.

If Scottish football breaches the contract, then that changes.

Minor point maybe, but isn't it BT that are currently showing the Bundesliga games? 

Just now, lionel wickson said:

Minor point maybe, but isn't it BT that are currently showing the Bundesliga games? 

Sky show it in Germany.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

This has already been covered a lot already, but they have agreed a deal with the SPFL to be the exclusive broadcaster for the league, and the contracts will already be signed and sealed. If the SPFL comply with that contract by providing Sky with what was originally agreed on the schedule originally agreed then it is hard to imagine it would be straightforward for Sky to break that contract. Any attempt to do so would likely cost them a fortune in legal fees, as well as the loss of goodwill from the SPFL and the Scottish public in general. Doing that for the sake of a few million quid would seem unlikely to me.

Obviously nobody on here is privy to the exact details of the deal, but I haven't heard a single thing from any SPFL source to suggest that it's in any jeopardy, and the actions of the league don't suggest that either. The plan to get the Premiership playing behind closed doors in August is almost entirely in order to preserve the deal, it seems likely to me that if it wasn't for this broadcasting deal the clubs would prefer to wait around until we could get some sort of crowds back.

I don't think they will be more worried about the legal fees than the SPFL will be. And I don't think they'll be looking for just a "few million" refund for 1/4 season down the pan and another half season or more behind closed doors. We'll see.

1 hour ago, Pet Jeden said:

I don't think they will be more worried about the legal fees than the SPFL will be. And I don't think they'll be looking for just a "few million" refund for 1/4 season down the pan and another half season or more behind closed doors. We'll see.

The season which has just finished is covered by a completely separate deal and will therefore have no impact on the new one. It's obvious that Sky and BT will be entitled to pay less than they normally would for an incomplete season - if they've already paid the full amount out they'll be entitled to a refund, and if they haven't paid it all yet then they'll reduce what they will pay. This will no doubt be covered within that contract. It has been suggested that Sky will sponsor the SPFL for the coming season(s) in lieu of this payment.

As has been covered several times in a number of posts from a variety of different posters which you seem determined to ignore, it is unlikely that the deal has any particular assurances about the number of fans at the games, because the league can't ever guarantee attendance at any game. They are paying to show 48 Scottish Premiership games per season, and that is what they are getting.

Edited by craigkillie

I'm not sure I understand the chat about the need to not start lower leagues for another 7 months tbh.

Stage 3 of the route map under sport, culture and leisure activities states "Live events permitted with restricted numbers and physical distancing restrictions"

We are set to enter Stage 1 on the 29th of May. Given the relatively low number of new cases each day currently, and the ever declining deaths and cases in hospitals, is it really likely that in the 14 weeks between this week and the last week in August we won't have moved through Stage 1 & 2?

That would be longer to get to stage 3 than we have been in lockdown.

14 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Why is argument repeated so frequently, as if it's self-evident? What's the logic behind this? How much does a Brechin City suck out of the League's coffers each year? £16,000? You could pay 24 clubs that amount every season and still not match Neil Doncaster's salary. How much does Brechin City contribute in return? And by that I don't mean producing players for big teams (Strachan's sole criterion). I mean in in an afternoon's entertainment, in decent away days, in local employment, in raising local identity and community cohesion? All in all it qualifies as pretty good value.

I have no issue with these teams in the lower leagues and having followed a junior team when I was younger I agree these clubs do good things for their local communities, they provide great away days and they are part of a healthy football system.

It is simply my opinion we have too many teams in our professional league system. I would like to see a more elite top level league system with a smaller amount of professional clubs.

I also don't believe it should be a closed shop and I believe there should be a pathway for ambitious clubs to be promoted into this system.