League Reconstruction 20/21 season

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I think if he takes a step back and views it with a clear and level head

See, this is where your problem starts.......................

Guest SJP79

Gordon Strachan: Ex-Scotland boss says too many clubs are not professional enough

Former Scotland boss Gordon Strachan believes too many of the country's senior clubs are not professional enough.

Of the 42 member sides of the SPFL, 22 employ players on a full-time basis, while the remaining 20 are part-time.

Strachan thinks the lack of fully professional sides is holding the game back.

"If you want to be a professional club, show it," he told the BBC's Scottish football podcast.

"Have full-time employees, have full-time players, have an academy, do the whole lot. Just don't play at being a football team and expect us to look after you.

"When you talk about clubs coming into the league, what are they bringing in? Two hundred people per week to a game, is that really professional football?

"The teams in the bottom two leagues at the moment, in general, how many players have they produced over the last 14 years?"

Strachan, who is technical director at Championship side Dundee, believes "40 or 50%" of SPFL clubs would not survive in the English National League.

The former Celtic and Middlesbrough boss was also critical of the overall "product" of Scottish football, and believes the spectacle must improve to bring in more money.

"If you think giving a good product is watching two teams in the bottom half of the Scottish Premiership playing on a plastic pitch, you're kidding yourself," he said. "Absolutely kidding yourself."

He added: "I just think we get over this period, see where we all are, how we all come out it. Then say, 'right, OK, who really wants to go head over heels in being professional and bringing on the game?'

"I'm sure if we do it properly, our product can be 100% better than it is right now.

"Nobody's going to kill a football club but find your level that you play at. Find the level your finances are putting you.

"Don't tell me you're a professional club when you're paying people part-time 80 quid a week and nobody turns up to your football matches."

Strachan's a bellend always has been. 

Edited by SJP79

8 hours ago, Sparticus said:

Crowds are being allowed back to sporting events in the USA next month.

The USA is led by a gentleman who thinks that it's a good idea to inject Dettol to get rid of Covid 19. Not sure that using the USA as a standard is that good an idea.

17 hours ago, Shteve said:

I'm actually quite game for pishing the championship and coming back up with a grudge. Let's face it Scottish football is pish anyway. 

I know where you're coming from, but f**k it lets not make it easy for these Premiership diddies. ^_^

27 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

St Mirren should get an exemption to show all their home games lives.  It would mean that none of us has to go to that shithole Paisley again.

I wouldn't want you missing out on excitement like this.:)

In England the 400th.-odd team would be playing in the 8th.-tier of their pyramid. Average attendances vary from 820 at Guernsey, 607 at Hastings, down to 54 at FC Romania.
How's their academies? Guernsey has a population of 70k, so around the same number as Paisley. Hastings has a population of 93k, which is about treble the size of Motherwell.

1 hour ago, Cornishman said:

In England the 400th.-odd team would be playing in the 8th.-tier of their pyramid. Average attendances vary from 820 at Guernsey, 607 at Hastings, down to 54 at FC Romania.

Why do people, like Gordon Strachan on Sportsound today, continue to compare the Scottish football to football in England.  There is absolutely no comparison so stop doing it. 

3 hours ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Who knows 

Do you think the amount of money individual clubs will generate from their own club TV will be more than what they will loose from renegotiated SKY deal ???

As the Ross County chairman said yesterday people’s disposable income ain’t going to be what it used to be 

The only bit you're taking away from the SKY deal is "exclusive rights" they still get their 48 games plus you can throw in 2 or 4 more to compensate.
Clubs can sell their home games that are left to the fan base in the UK and beyond which compensates for the dinero they lose from the closed gates.
Season ticket holders get to see their team and Sky get their cherry picked games.

46 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The only bit you're taking away from the SKY deal is "exclusive rights" they still get their 48 games plus you can throw in 2 or 4 more to compensate.
Clubs can sell their home games that are left to the fan base in the UK and beyond which compensates for the dinero they lose from the closed gates.
Season ticket holders get to see their team and Sky get their cherry picked games.

What bit of exclusive do you not understand ???? 

5 minutes ago, Lebowski said:
16 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:
What bit of exclusive do you not understand ???? 

They're the exclusive TV broadcaster. They don't have streaming rights.

Not by my reading of it

“We’re particularly pleased that we have been able to agree a deal for the Ladbrokes Premiership matches on an exclusive basis with a single live broadcast partner.

Not by my reading of it
“We’re particularly pleased that we have been able to agree a deal for the Ladbrokes Premiership matches on an exclusive basis with a single live broadcast partner.
"Broadcaster" look it up.

It seems reasonable to assume that the deal prevents clubs streaming live games to UK customers because otherwise they would already be doing it.

No it doesn't because 3pm games were banned from being on TV or streamed in the UK. Now they aren't.

Just to expand on this point, the reason clubs don't show their games on the Internet is because they think (probably correctly) that it would batter their attendance figures.

4 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

You're whistling in the dark Craig. You're normally quite rational, but on this point you're in denial. Are Killie gagging more than most for that money that was scheduled for August?

Ahemps - of course SKY will take the opportunity to chip the TV deal. They're losing subscribers and advertising revenue.They are being offered games that will be behind closed doors for part of the season - games with no atmosphere that that will get even more paltry viewing figures from England. Timings might need to change. They might already have thought they bid too much in the first place. No danger they're just going to carry on and pay SPFL the previously agreed £30m.

This has already been covered a lot already, but they have agreed a deal with the SPFL to be the exclusive broadcaster for the league, and the contracts will already be signed and sealed. If the SPFL comply with that contract by providing Sky with what was originally agreed on the schedule originally agreed then it is hard to imagine it would be straightforward for Sky to break that contract. Any attempt to do so would likely cost them a fortune in legal fees, as well as the loss of goodwill from the SPFL and the Scottish public in general. Doing that for the sake of a few million quid would seem unlikely to me.

Obviously nobody on here is privy to the exact details of the deal, but I haven't heard a single thing from any SPFL source to suggest that it's in any jeopardy, and the actions of the league don't suggest that either. The plan to get the Premiership playing behind closed doors in August is almost entirely in order to preserve the deal, it seems likely to me that if it wasn't for this broadcasting deal the clubs would prefer to wait around until we could get some sort of crowds back.

10 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Not by my reading of it

Does that mean they can't remove the word exclusive for their partners to help them out or are they going to be dicks about it?

6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Arrogant, deluded, sneering and nasty bullshit from massive moron Gordon Strachan;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52797428

What a p***k. Includes obligatory meaningless reference to English football too. 

At least he's not comparing black people to nonces now. Progress of a sort.