League Reconstruction 20/21 season

Just now, johnnydun said:

Will they? If the SPFL say the Championship is going ahead behind closed doors and some members refuse to take part, how can you keep them in any leauge?

Because they aren't quitting the SPFL or refusing to play, as there will presumably be an option on this scenario.

They'll have to figure out the league structure but I imagine would do it on league placings of when teams last finished, so basically the places as they stand but taking in to account any teams who are able to play (so in effect they'd jump ahead of teams who couldn't).

All sounds mental and won't happen anyway though.

I don't see why they can't have a stand alone season of however many divisions are feasible, and then revert back to the divisions as based on this season's finishings. (As was done during the war, albeit the divisions were reconstructed on the restart.)

13 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I don't see why they can't have a stand alone season of however many divisions are feasible, and then revert back to the divisions as based on this season's finishings. (As was done during the war, albeit the divisions were reconstructed on the restart.)

Hearts fans will want this season finished at the end of next season.

52 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Read the contract they have exclusive rights to the SPFL games and they can show 48 of these.

SKY can have their 48 games but the clubs can have the rest.

There are ways for the SPFL to do this for modest outlay, and to their credit, they may well have explored them. Pixellot is an unmanned camera system that uses a single camera with multiple lens to automatically track the ball during a football match and the SPFL has experimented with them at Scottish Championship grounds this season.

These systems are already being used in Germany, dramatically reducing the cost of broadcasting live games and they could be the key to Scottish football establishing a streaming service much like the MLS Live platform that gave American fans the chance to watch every game not on national TV for a number of years.

29 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

That's essentially a season of friendlies and would have us repeat the Hearts must stay up shenanigans. Desperate times though.

9 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

SKY can have their 48 games but the clubs can have the rest.

There are ways for the SPFL to do this for modest outlay, and to their credit, they may well have explored them. Pixellot is an unmanned camera system that uses a single camera with multiple lens to automatically track the ball during a football match and the SPFL has experimented with them at Scottish Championship grounds this season.

These systems are already being used in Germany, dramatically reducing the cost of broadcasting live games and they could be the key to Scottish football establishing a streaming service much like the MLS Live platform that gave American fans the chance to watch every game not on national TV for a number of years.

Lobby Dossar has already explained - Sky have exclusive rights.  They're only allowed to show 48 matches plus play-offs but NOBODY else is allowed to show the other 200+ matches in Scotland (UK?) without Sky's permission, and a likely renegotiation of the contract.

2 minutes ago, The DA said:

Lobby Dossar has already explained - Sky have exclusive rights.  They're only allowed to show 48 matches plus play-offs but NOBODY else is allowed to show the other 200+ matches in Scotland (UK?) without Sky's permission, and a likely renegotiation of the contract.

Exactly. If you're been watching live streams of your own club you'll be less inclined to watch their programme. If viewing figures drop, so does advertising revenue after that you're knackered.

Thing is though that Sky absolutely don't want Scottish football to start a new streaming model which succeeded without their involvement. That's a complete disaster for their business model because it lays the foundation for English football to do the same.

I have a feeling they won't be bothered with live streams of games which they're not covering and which are kicking off at different times to their live games, while and only while fans can't attend.

This seems to be on the agenda for the English Premier League too.

Edited by craigkillie

Thing is though that Sky absolutely don't want Scottish football to start a new streaming model which succeeded without their involvement. That's a complete disaster for their business model because it lays the foundation for English football to do the same.

It's unlikely any of this would be centralised. Every single Premiership club already has a club TV channel as far as I know (maybe County don't?), and many of these already broadcast games live to overseas viewers. You'd imagine it would be transmitted via those during this period.

12 minutes ago, The DA said:

As night follows day - it's coming anyway.

17 minutes ago, Lebowski said:
23 minutes ago, The DA said:

There's a massive difference between Sky coverage and a single camera usually with a fan commentating, using a tiny bandwidth. Doubt it would make a dent in their audience figures. IIRC Sky let Falkirk TV use their feed to stream to "overseas" subscribers on occasion.

Edited by welshbairn

47 minutes ago, Bose said:

Hearts fans will want this season finished at the end of next season.

Personally I'd rather it was null and void with temporary reconstruction in place to allow Dundee United to come up

but I appreciate that it can't be arranged purely around my preferences

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

17 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

As night follows day - it's coming anyway.

Are Sky wanting to renegotiate the TV deal which starts next season? I have seen and heard lots of talk about TV companies looking at their deals with the top leagues in Europe but never seen anything about the Sky-SPFL deal.

5 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Are Sky wanting to renegotiate the TV deal which starts next season? I have seen and heard lots of talk about TV companies looking at their deals with the top leagues in Europe but never seen anything about the Sky-SPFL deal.

That particular poster has a bee in his bonnet about it, but there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest that Sky have any intention of renegotiating the new TV deal, nor is it clear why they would have any grounds to do so as long as the SPFL deliver what has been paid for.

37 minutes ago, The DA said:

As I said before there is no way clubs are going to sit back and watch over 40% of their revenue disappear.

There's a massive difference between Sky coverage and a single camera usually with a fan commentating, using a tiny bandwidth. Doubt it would make a dent in their audience figures. IIRC Sky let Falkirk TV use their feed to stream to "overseas" subscribers on occasion.
I think you're mental if you think people would rather pay Sky 30 quid a month for better production quality than a tenner or something to see their own clubs games instead. And I would guess Sky will have done that calculation as well. That's my point about Sky probably not going to be cunty about stuff in Scottish football. Getting less money from Sky makes Scottish footballs relationship with them way less symbiotic than Englands paradoxically. English football can't damage Sky because that's biting the hand that feeds them. That's not the case in Scotland.

Arrogant, deluded, sneering and nasty bullshit from massive moron Gordon Strachan;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52797428

What a p***k. Includes obligatory meaningless reference to English football too. 

I'd say that the team bringing through the last Scottish player to win the Champions League being Queen's Park negates quite a bit of his argument there.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with teams being semi professional. He's talking about England and the national league. That's the clubs 93rd to 112th in their football. Adjust Scotlands population for England and the sides at the bottom of our leagues would be 400th or so in their pyramid. Are the sides at that level professional to the extent he's talking about in England, I don't think so. They're at a much much lower level than the Scottish ones playing wise, and their crowds are worse.

Us existing next to England fucking warps people's brains.