League Reconstruction 20/21 season

The decision's been made, we're already looking to sign players based on this - the time for successful businesswoman Anne Budge to find a solution acceptable to diddy clubs like ourselves was last month.

Edited by btb

There is a way around all this, that means Sky get to keep their 4 Old Firm games (not that I or most folk on here will give a toss about them) and Scottish football would maybe benefit from actually being competitive.

- Top tier of 16 - play each other twice.
- After 30 games split into four mini leagues - Championship League, Final European spot League, f**k all to play for league and finally the relegation league.
- Each team plays the other three in their own 'league' a further twice.
- Means a 36 game season and the vast majority of the games remain meaningful until the very end.

Supposing a top 4 of Celtic, Rangers, Motherwell and Aberdeen - there's a slight chance that one of the latter two might still be within spitting distance of the top after 30 games.

Places 5-8 playing for a final European spot (probably the Europa 2 or whatever it will be called).

The next group, 9-12 can just fanny about with nothing to play for other than possibly higher prize money.

Clearly the bottom 4 would be a riot. Supposing two straight relegation spots (and maybe a play off for those in 14th) this end of the table would probably be the most competitive and might throw up some winner takes all kind of games.

It's below this that I'm not sure what the structure should be, perhaps just a straight 30 game, 16 team league in the Championship, then a 10 team League 1, then Geographic League 2, and then the pyramid.

f**k knows I'm bored, but it's in my opinion a truly workable solution, and a potentially long term one.

3 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

There is a way around all this, that means Sky get to keep their 4 Old Firm games (not that I or most folk on here will give a toss about them) and Scottish football would maybe benefit from actually being competitive.

- After 30 games split into four mini leagues - Championship League, Final European spot League, f**k all to play for league and finally the relegation league.
- Means a 36 game season and the vast majority of the games remain meaningful until the very end.

Supposing a top 4 of Celtic, Rangers, Motherwell and Aberdeen - there's a slight chance that one of the latter two might still be within spitting distance of the top after 30 games.

Places 5-8 playing for a final European spot (probably the Europa 2 or whatever it will be called).

The next group, 9-12 can just fanny about with nothing to play for other than possibly higher prize money.

Clearly the bottom 4 would be a riot. Supposing two straight relegation spots (and maybe a play off for those in 14th) this end of the table would probably be the most competitive and might throw up some winner takes all kind of games.

It's below this that I'm not sure what the structure should be, perhaps just a straight 30 game, 16 team league in the Championship, then a 10 team League 1, then Geographic League 2, and then the pyramid.

f**k knows I'm bored, but it's in my opinion a truly workable solution, and a potentially long term one.

We'll let you know...

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I 'm not doubting your figures are correct but there is a reason the last SKY deal was only £120k per game and they're willing to pay that amount now.

The last Sky deal was worth about £18m a year for 60 games, so more like £300k per game.

Edited by craigkillie

Not having a go but why have a split? Can we just announce fixtures at the start of the season, play them and see what the final table is?

As you can tell splitting the league gets right on my tits!

9 minutes ago, steelmen said:

Not having a go but why have a split? Can we just announce fixtures at the start of the season, play them and see what the final table is?

Unfortunately we all know the answer to that.

l'm saying Scottish football could do better in the global market.

I keep hearing things like 'the TV deal isn't valuable enough' but it's worth what someone wants to pay for it. 

39 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The last Sky deal was worth about £18m a year for 60 games, so more like £300k per game.

I'm sure that was between SKY and BT but you seem to be hung up on figures yet over 40% of the clubs revenue come through the gates and only 10%-12% comes from TV revenue.
For me that alone tells it's own story.

It's all getting muddled, most spfl games aren't sold out, so if the fans can't be bothered then why would that be attractive to  TV or overseas customers. Maybe people have had enough of sky,bt etc but I think the clubs do ok considering their size. Don't think things will ever change a great deal while TV  dribble over the O.F games as if they're important to everyone.

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I'm sure that was between SKY and BT but you seem to be hung up on figures yet over 40% of the clubs revenue come through the gates and only 10%-12% comes from TV revenue.
For me that alone tells it's own story.

The £18m is between the two companies, yes, but so are the 60 games. The price per game is therefore £300k. In reality, Sky are probably actually paying more per game because they have more big ticket games and are likely to have paid more than BT as a result, even if the two show the same number of games.

The revenue through the gates is a total irrelevance here, we are talking about broadcasting games. The amount of gate revenue is not dependent on who holds the TV rights. You were the one who made the absolute bullshit claim that Hamilton v Motherwell could attract £625k via club streaming platforms.

30 minutes ago, steelmen said:

Not having a go but why have a split?

Oh there just has to be split. Haven't you been paying attention?? 

Makes it exciting or something.

Apparently. 

Scottish football could do better in the global market.

Why do you think this? The global market has it's choice of football. Apart from expats why would anyone be interested in our game? Watching a title procession for Celtic every year is only appealing to Celtic fans and who probably have Celtic TV anyway. If you want a better TV deal you need to appeal to neutral/armchair fans and a 1 horse race doesn't do that.

For what it's worth my own personal preference would be a straight 30 game season.

Sadly we all know that it'll never ever happen, so the idea is based mainly on having to keep Sky/Sponsors happy and making the best of it.

The split is utterly pointless and does very little to make the last 6 games ‘mean something’. 

Theres only ever one or two teams who are going to be relegated and they’re usually down before the last game anyway, and you almost almost end up with 7th finishing with more points than 6th, which looks fucking stupid when you look at the league table.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

So... is SBW Ann Budge taking a metaphorical leaf out of Rangers' book and delaying the release of her "reconstruction dossier"?

Emotions were running high on Monday. She's realised that reconstruction isn't happening and legal action is futile. She's now in the 'hoping nobody will notice' phase.