League Reconstruction 20/21 season

6 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Alternatively, you have every matchgoing football fan in the country under some stage of lockdown, who can't get to the match, who can't go down to the pub to watch the game and whose only chance of seeing their team in action - or any football at all - is to watch it at home, possibly getting a new Sky TV subscription if they don't already have one. TV companies offering live football for closed-door games are likely to see an uptick in demand. Every fan missing from the stadium is an indication of someone willing to pay to watch football whose demand for it isn't being met.

I don't see the new TV deal being less than the old one when there's straightforward reasons for it to be more profitable. The monetary amount changing hands this year, might be less, but only because there were 8 unplayed matchdays and they might offset the refund for that into next season's broadcast deal.

Did think about the ccaptive audience counter - argument. We’ll see, but I doubt it. Think fans of the teams playing would watch but neutral interest (after novelty wears off) would be very low. It’s not much of an entertainment spectacle without fans .........(insert St J gag here.....)

2 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

Did think about the ccaptive audience counter - argument. We’ll see, but I doubt it. Think fans of the teams playing would watch but neutral interest (after novelty wears off) would be very low. It’s not much of an entertainment spectacle without fans .........(insert St J gag here.....)

I think in normal times that would be the case,  initial spike in Interest then a decline to normal viewing figures. This time though, as has  been previous mentioned, there could be still a form of lockdown in place and fans outside the top league will not be going to games for a much longer period.  That's a lot of fans wanting their football fix. 

Edited by Spring Onion

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

They will squeeze as much as they can out of the fact we stopped the season early though, probably not a direct financial penalty but they have the SPFL by the balls in terms of negotiating anyway.

They probably missed out on about 9 or 10 games, If  the SPFL can do a deal to add games to the SKY deal over the next couple of years without any liabilities or claw back.
The balance of games can be reset without the financial burden. 

6 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Individual club tv deals, I wonder which clubs would benefit most from that?

Let me think...who would play against each other more often to wring more money out of mug punters...wait, it's coming to me...no, it's gone again.

Who could it be?

Celtic tv already sell live games outside the UK,If a Hamilton v motherwell game was sold to their fans live it would make more than SKY are offering per game.

It seems to be widely accepted that the SPFL have already agreed a deal with Sky for them to become the new league sponsor in lieu of that money owed for this season not being completed.

If there's a product on the park come August, I doubt there will be any issue in that respect. When both parties sign up to a 5 year broadcasting deal it is going to be done in good faith. There are still competitors out there so it's not like Sky have all the negotiating power.

I suspect the issues will come if the season can't start on the mandated date.

10 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:
Celtic tv already sell live games outside the UK,If a Hamilton v motherwell game was sold to their fans live it would make more than SKY are offering per game.

Sky's new deal is worth about £625k per match, in what world are Hamilton and Motherwell making that from a live stream?

Edited by craigkillie

22 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If there's a product on the park come August, I doubt there will be any issue in that respect. When both parties sign up to a 5 year broadcasting deal it is going to be done in good faith. There are still competitors out there so it's not like Sky have all the negotiating power.

Is there competitors out there? I thought Sky was the only deal on the table last time round and the feeling was they felt they'd overpaid for it after realizing that fact.

Is there competitors out there? I thought Sky was the only deal on the table last time round and the feeling was they felt they'd overpaid for it after realizing that fact.

BT definitely bid for it, they just got nowhere near Sky. There's also the likes of Amazon Prime and YouTube who have moved into the market, albeit it would be a bad idea to sell to them without a TV channel.

2 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

tbf the £2.50 that BBC Alba throw at football might soon be more than SKY can manage

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/26/coronavirus-sky-and-bt-will-lose-1bn-if-sporting-events-stay-shut-until-august

Are Sky or BT going to ask for any money back for this season being declared? I keep hearing that England need to fulfill their fixtures to avoid paying money back. Would the SPFL not be in the same position?

Sky might show good faith due to having the contract going forward but if BT are struggling then could they look for a refund?

44 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Sky's new deal is worth about £625k per match, in what world are Hamilton and Motherwell making that from live stream?

I 'm not doubting your figures are correct but there is a reason the last SKY deal was only £120k per game and they're willing to pay that amount now.

13 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Are Sky or BT going to ask for any money back for this season being declared? I keep hearing that England need to fulfill their fixtures to avoid paying money back. Would the SPFL not be in the same position?

Sky might show good faith due to having the contract going forward but if BT are struggling then could they look for a refund?

isn't that the "£10m at risk" issue that Rangers were complaining about? It will be a big fat legal argument

34 minutes ago, ahemps said:

As @craigkillie mentioned in his post on the previous page the suggestion seems to be that if it's an issue for Sky then the SPFL are looking at/have already agreed a deal to have them as headline sponsors in lieu of any monies owed.

Edited by capt_oats

6 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

Is Budge's proposal not meant to be unveiled today?

i would have thought we'd have heard something by now?

Anything?

Think there will be to and fro between her and the clubs and she won't put forward anything she knows will be voted down for as long as possible. Longer it goes on the less chance it has imo, if it ever had any.

22 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I 'm not doubting your figures are correct but there is a reason the last SKY deal was only £120k per game and they're willing to pay that amount now.

What does any of that waffle have to do with any sides outside of Celtic and Rangers making close to £625k for live streaming a match?

They both will definitely want the Barclays to finish their season out even behind closed doors. Given how much they invest in it and market it, they also show 4? Live games a week between them from the Barclays while it’s usually 1 from Scotland. So they’d lose out on a lot more promised games if England called their leagues.

I doubt they care as much about Scotland and as said Sky have been given an appeasement deal of sponsorship of the SPFL to make up for some of the lost matches.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Think there will be to and fro between her and the clubs and she won't put forward anything she knows will be voted down for as long as possible. Longer it goes on the less chance it has imo, if it ever had any.

The uncertainty is holding us back, it's the last thing we need now.

She was given till today.If it isn't out by today it should be off the table.

3 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

What does any of that waffle have to do with any sides outside of Celtic and Rangers making close to £625k for live streaming a match?

Scottish Premiership: Matches to be shown live on Sky only as new £160m TV deal struck - BBC Sport

The figures quoted are a bit sketchy,I'm not saying it's a bad deal i'm saying Scottish football could do better in the global market.
Sky only have exclusive rights in the UK,club tv can sell live games across the globe, if games start next season behind closed doors then the UK market should be included.