League Reconstruction 20/21 season

Ferranti Thistle renamed themselves Meadowbank Thistle as the name 'Ferranti Thistle' did not meet the naming regulations of the SFL.

They were named after Ferranti engineering work, so there was some issue with sponsorship rules of clubs. Due to the death of Third Lanark, there was a spot open in the SFL which Ferranti won after applications and voting. They could play as Ferranti Thistle in the league(s) they were in before but not the SFL, thus the name change. No clubs were brought over and no league memberships were traded.

In 1993 they were converted to a limited company. They were seemingly on the verge of going bust. They fucked off to Livingston in 1995 and changed their name.

Seems to be an intact lineage, but it looks like Meadowbank were sort of bought over in all but name. Not sure though, I'm no expert (all of the above is lifted from Wikipedia!).

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I reckon to have a cats chance in Hell Ann Budge will need to do three things

Firstly: Persuade Sky to put up more money for more football or at least persuade the clubs that this would happen.

Secondly: Modify the "temporary" reconstruction to a "trial" reconstruction. So if in 2 years time everybody is happy with 14 we keep it, otherwise 3 teams go down in 2022/23 

Thirdly: Be Lucky

First-If the SPFL experts cant squeeze more money out of Sky, how do you expect a bitter old woman with a self interested motive to do it?

Second-Trial is just another word for temporary.Like Budge when she was told no re construction last time she said ok we'll rejig it then,Rearrange it?Different words,same meaning, same outcome.No.

Third- Yer lucks ran out.

Edited by Sparticus
spling

36 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

You can't just buy over a club.

The club can just say 'no'. No club is going to agree to be bought over and thus consigned to the bin.

You can buy over clubs. I'm currently a member of a foundation that's doing just that.

It would be the current owners that would have to say "yes" or "no" and not every football club is in the hands of entirely decent and upright citizens with no interest in money being waved at them.

I suggest that for a businessman of the calibre of a Dave King or a Charles Green arranging for a smaller club to be bought out by a "saviour" asset stripped and then the hollow shell recycled in Govan wouldn't be too much of a challenge.

44 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

What happened in the cases of Ferranti and Meadowbank? Genuine question, I'm not sure if they were bought over, particularly in the Meadowbank Livingston case.

The guy that had Meadowbank Thistle deliberately ran the club into the ground so that "moving" to West Lothian became "the only option"

Source: The Meadowbank Thistle fan that used to drink in the same bar as my Dad....

18 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

First-If the SPFL experts cant squeeze more money out of Sky, how do you expect a bitter old woman with a self interested motive to do it?

Second-Trail is just another word for temporary.Like Budge when she was told no re construction last time she said ok we'll rejig it then,Rearrange it?Different words,same meaning, same outcome.No.

Third- Yer lucks ran out.

First: More games and a league with Hearts in it is worth a little bit more and we wouldn't need a massive uplift to allow Saint Johstone to get their £150,000. It's not trivially easy but it's not impossible.

Second: "Trial "means it can be sold as different things to different people, People who genuinely think 14 is a good idea will assume that it will be popular, others will assume not. More to the point kicking the can down the road is always and attractive option

Third: Our bad luck's got to break some time. I'm not sure which gypsy we pissed off

And as I say these prerequisites only get us to the cat's chance in hell stage

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

No play offs?

I hadn't considered that detail 

But to be honest if you didn't manage to win a championship which excludes the best 14 teams then you're probably not going to beat the 11th best team in the country anyway

And if you could get people arguing about playoff arrangements in 3 years time then you'd practically have sold the overall deal already

12 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Second: "Trial "means it can be sold as different things to different people, People who genuinely think 14 is a good idea will assume that it will be popular, others will assume not. More to the point kicking the can down the road is always and attractive option

So in two years time when no one has the appetite to keep the trial version,  what happens to the bottom of the second division teams once the re-jigging has to be re jogged back? 

2 minutes ago, Spring Onion said:

So in two years time when no one has the appetite to keep the trial version,  what happens to the bottom of the second division teams once the re-jigging has to be re jogged back? 

I'll give you his real answer.

He couldnt care less, hearts would be ok by then.

16 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

First: More games and a league with Hearts in it is worth a little bit more and we wouldn't need a massive uplift to allow Saint Johstone to get their £150,000. It's not trivially easy but it's not impossible.

Third: Our bad luck's got to break some time. I'm not sure which gypsy we pissed off

And as I say these prerequisites only get us to the cat's chance in hell stage

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/barry-fry-birmingham-city-leak-13062683

Maybe you should try persuading Ann to pish in each corner of Tynecastle.

14 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

But to be honest if you didn't manage to win a championship which excludes the best 14 teams then you're probably not going to beat the 11th best team in the country anyway

To be honest, if you can't be higher in the league than St Mirren, Hamilton and Ross County after 29 (twenty fucking nine) games then you're probably going to get relegated anyway. 

4 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Re the 15 team leagues, you could end up with a scenario where the teams in 10th and 11th places play each other before the split, with both wanting to lose to improve their chances of avoiding the drop!

Personally I'm not a fan of league setups that have teams sitting out fixture weeks.

This. By virtue of the ridiculous international calendar last season, and us being dugshite in the League Cup, it felt like we were only playing once a fortnight. It was w**k, tbqhwy.

19 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

You never know, the 11th team could be Hearts.

14 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

I'll give you his real answer.

He couldnt care less, hearts would be ok by then.

I was going to be a bit more nuanced than that

The problem would be smaller, two years away from needing addressed and three years away from actually happening. Which to people in the middle of a pandemic means it's basically not a problem.

I thought that would be covered under "kicking the can down the road is always an attractive option"

And Hearts will, most likely be OK by 2023 regardless. 

17 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/barry-fry-birmingham-city-leak-13062683

Maybe you should try persuading Ann to pish in each corner of Tynecastle.

She's going to hand over the club to the Foundation relatively soon so  maybe I should run for election to the board of the foundation promising to raise the curse.

17 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Wouldn't attend that borefest. Bad enough watching them on TV.

That's funny you answered your own question it doesn't matter if it's a borefest you still watch it.
SKY are all about viewing figures and Scottish football is full  of derbies.
Aberdeen will be delighted if cove get their act together.

17 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I was going to be a bit more nuanced than that

The problem would be smaller, two years away from needing addressed and three years away from actually happening. Which to people in the middle of a pandemic means it's basically not a problem.

I thought that would be covered under "kicking the can down the road is always an attractive option"

And Hearts will, most likely be OK by 2023 regardless. 

There isnt a problem the way things are just now though?

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

You can buy over clubs. I'm currently a member of a foundation that's doing just that.

It would be the current owners that would have to say "yes" or "no" and not every football club is in the hands of entirely decent and upright citizens with no interest in money being waved at them.

I suggest that for a businessman of the calibre of a Dave King or a Charles Green arranging for a smaller club to be bought out by a "saviour" asset stripped and then the hollow shell recycled in Govan wouldn't be too much of a challenge.

I mean you can't just simply do it. If you have the money and think "I want to buy Albion Rovers over and replace them with another club" you can't just do it. It's not simply a case of just having the money to do it.

Why has it not been done before save for that one time, in which it was done under exceptional circumstances that we almost certainly won't see repeated? Why have Celtic not bought over say, Annan, and replaced them with Celtic B? Why did Rangers never buy over say, East Stirlingshire, and replace them with Rangers B?

Or why don't Celtic buy over Cumbernauld Colts and keep the name but make it Celtic B by having a load of players sign for them (essentially they'll still be under the employ of Celtic) on window to window deals and loans?

Cove were wanting in to the league for years. They have a bit of cash. Why didn't they buy Brechin over and then rename and relocate back to Cove before the playoffs were in place? Kelty Hearts are annoyed that the playoffs this season are not going ahead. Why don't they buy Brechin over and rename and relocate?

Edited by DA Baracus