League Reconstruction 20/21 season

This is just a little musing upon the idea of restructuring... and while constructive criticism/debate is welcomed, let's please not have any flaming &/or ad hominem attacks, okay?

Firstly. I know many folks carry an irrational dread of odd-numbered divisional memberships. To those persons, please forgive me for giving youse both barrels in the heid with this idea!

As the title suggests, I see a 15-15-15 divisional restructure as a possibility. It won't allay the objections of those objectors to anything but the present 12-10-10-10 structure, but would possibly return a more interesting/entertaining season than the 14-14-14/16 ideas out there.

I envisage 2-up/down + 1 play-off candidate at each end of all divisions, save the bottom of the third tier, which would be 1-up/down + 1 play-off candidate, although team#44 & team#45 would play-out for the right to reach the play-off vs. the loser of the HFL/LFL play-off.

The season would consist of the usual double-round-robin(28-matches over 30 fixture dates) and then a three-way split: - 1st.-5th. places; 6th.-10th places &11th.-15th places (8-matches over 10 fixture dates) ~ providing motivation prizes/penalties in each of the three latter groupings.

In the Top-groupings, the prizes on offer are going to be obvious = Champions, European places, promotions...
Likewise, the Bottom-groupings playing against relegations.
Both Top & bottom will provide three of four play-off candidates.

The Middle-grouping will be playing for one extra play-off position, both up & downward! 6th.-place for promotion, 10th.-place against relegation.
Note that in Teir One, 6th.-place would be playing to challenge for a European place.

All play-offs would be of the formats  A~10th. (H) vs. 13th.; B~11th. (H) vs. 12th.; C~3rd. (H) vs. 6th. & D~4th. (H) vs. 5th. in a single legged preliminary, followed respectively by loser A vs. loser B & winner C vs. winner D, again in single legged matches with higher placed team at home ~ to produce the final two play-off candidates. Play-off finals could be 2-legged home/away games or single-legged neutral venue ones.

Apart from giving every team four match days off with a 36-game season spread over the 40 match days, are there any likes/hates out there &/or constructive critique?

This is just a little musing upon the idea of restructuring... and while constructive criticism/debate is welcomed, let's please not have any flaming &/or ad hominem attacks, okay?

Firstly. I know many folks carry an irrational dread of odd-numbered divisional memberships. To those persons, please forgive me for giving youse both barrels in the heid with this idea!

As the title suggests, I see a 15-15-15 divisional restructure as a possibility. It won't allay the objections of those objectors to anything but the present 12-10-10-10 structure, but would possibly return a more interesting/entertaining season than the 14-14-14/16 ideas out there.

I envisage 2-up/down + 1 play-off candidate at each end of all divisions, save the bottom of the third tier, which would be 1-up/down + 1 play-off candidate, although team#44 & team#45 would play-out for the right to reach the play-off vs. the loser of the HFL/LFL play-off.

The season would consist of the usual double-round-robin(28-matches over 30 fixture dates) and then a three-way split: - 1st.-5th. places; 6th.-10th places &11th.-15th places (8-matches over 10 fixture dates) ~ providing motivation prizes/penalties in each of the three latter groupings.

In the Top-groupings, the prizes on offer are going to be obvious = Champions, European places, promotions...

The Middle-grouping will be playing for one extra play-off position, both up & downward! 6th.-place for promotion, 10th.-place against relegation.
Note that in Teir One, 6th.-place would be playing to challenge for a European place.

All play-offs would be of the formats  A~10th. (H) vs. 13th.; B~11th. (H) vs. 12th.; C~3rd. (H) vs. 6th. & D~4th. (H) vs. 5th. in a single legged preliminary, followed respectively by loser A vs. loser B & winner C vs. winner D, again in single legged matches with higher placed team at home ~ to produce the final two play-off candidates. Play-off finals could be 2-legged home/away games or single-legged neutral venue ones.

Apart from giving every team four match days off with a 36-game season spread over the 40 match days, are there any likes/hates out there &/or constructive critique?

3 hours ago, Cornishman said:

Let's try it in England first (after all, that's how Scottish football works), divisions of 21 and then 7-7-7, see how it goes.

Guest JTS98
4 hours ago, Cornishman said:

I don't particularly like the idea, but I like its radical nature.

I think suggestions that move us away from the way things have always been done should be welcomed - even if they're not the right suggestions - as they open us up to ideas that might actually work. The people running our game (and writing about it and talking about it in the media) are so conservative that few ideas actually get an airing and a proper discussion. Usually just 'Naw, we don't do that'.

We have a 'competition' that has only been won by two clubs in three and a half decades. While there are people who will decry anything that is a move away from a classic home and away round-robin system, those people should consider that decades of that system has left us with a football structure that is, at the top end at least, exceptionally boring.

I think there's a place for complicated. Some people struggle with the very simple idea that under our current system the 7th-best team might end up with more points than the 6th-best. That's their problem.

Any new system that might seem complicated at first would be fine once it settled in. Look at the drama-queenery that the Nations League format was met with when it was announced, yet the tournament was great.

Edited by JTS98

8 hours ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

I'd support a 16 team league with home gate sharing, so Celtic and Sevco cough up and a more even playing field results. That's it tho.  I'm being magnanimous btw as Hibs average 17/18k and wouldn't gain anything but it would weaken THEM.

I think you should put this one on that 15-15-15 thread as these options are just as sensible....................

When did the phrase ‘as a club’ become a thing? 

Fitzpatrick there, Falkirk about 8 times every statement they release, Livingston said it in theirs too I think. 

What the fuck else would you be saying this as, a fucking funfair, an escalator?

Re the 15 team leagues, you could end up with a scenario where the teams in 10th and 11th places play each other before the split, with both wanting to lose to improve their chances of avoiding the drop!

Personally I'm not a fan of league setups that have teams sitting out fixture weeks.

Edited by Lurkst