League Reconstruction 20/21 season

See all this TV contract stuff that the papers make sound mega by rolling up 4 years worth to quote as £120m or whatever? That's only £30m a year. It's less than 15% of the combined turnover of the Scottish clubs. Not to be sniffed at, but is it really worth it?  Ignoring what best suits attending fans and being ordered to play games at 10 o'clock on a Monday morning or whenever SKY determine they've got a gap in their schedules. Never getting a derby or a game against the OF on a Saturday afternoon*. Never getting an OF away game televised. I know £120m sounds a lot and probably gets Doncaster a 6-figure bonus, but FFS shouldn't Scottish football be able to do better?

*Insert "well, yous'll no be playin them anyway" .....gag below.

1 minute ago, Pet Jeden said:

See all this TV contract stuff that the papers make sound mega by rolling up 4 years worth to quote as £120m or whatever? That's only £30m a year. It's less than 15% of the combined turnover of the Scottish clubs. Not to be sniffed at, but is it really worth it?  Ignoring what best suits attending fans and being ordered to play games at 10 o'clock on a Monday morning or whenever SKY determine they've got a gap in their schedules. Never getting a derby or a game against the OF on a Saturday afternoon*. Never getting an OF away game televised. I know £120m sounds a lot and probably gets Doncaster a 6-figure bonus, but FFS shouldn't Scottish football be able to do better?

*Insert "well, yous'll no be playin them anyway" .....gag below.

Well, you'll no be playin them anyway.

2 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

... but FFS shouldn't Scottish football be able to do better?

I absolutely do believe we should be aiming for better. Problem is nobody is buying and it's not a sellers market.

I hope you aren't arguing the case that we should drop the sponsorship deal in order to allow temporary reconstruction.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

I absolutely do believe we should be aiming for better. Problem is nobody is buying and it's not a sellers market.

I hope you aren't arguing the case that we should drop the sponsorship deal in order to allow temporary reconstruction.

I don't believe temporary reconstruction makes sense. I don't think we should be leading on it. And I don't for one minute think SKY will be coughing up on the previously agreed terms.

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

The thing is, it is fair that Hearts get relegated.

The rules that all clubs ( including Hearts ) signed up for, clearly state that if you are bottom at the end of the season, you get relegated.

Budge is saying that they will lose £3m if they go down, well like any club they should have budgeted for a 'worst case scenario'. Relegation has been on the cards for them all season and they should have budgeted for this possibility (be it now or when the season was due to finish), they didn't, they took a risk and spent a shitload more money. Her financial failure is not anyone else's fault.

Yeah, I made this exact point somewhere else in the depths of this thread. Sometime around the point that JTS was banging on about 'unfair loss'.

The spectre of relegation has been hanging over them for long enough that preparing for it should have been a top priority. The financial loss in and of itself is not a reason not to relegate them, because they were likely to be facing it anyway.

Ultimately, the fact remains that Corona isn't relegating Hearts. Other clubs aren't relegating Hearts. Four wins in 30 games are relegating Hearts.

Edited by Coventry Saint

2 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

I don't believe temporary reconstruction makes sense. I don't think we should be leading on it. And I don't for one minute think SKY will be coughing up on the previously agreed terms.

Yeah, we've sold our souls to the OF when it comes to sponsorship. Sky are our paymasters, and I really dislike that. More the case now that fans won't be attending (and/or attending in the numbers they were).

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, I made this exact point somewhere else in the depths of this thread. Sometime around the point that JTS was banging on about 'unfair loss'.

The spectre of relegation has been hanging over them for long enough that preparing for it should have been a top priority. The financial loss in and of itself is not a reason not to relegate them, because they were likely to be facing it anyway.

It's also highly insulting to other teams who, based on turnover/profit values, may have invested more.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

And yet through all of this, not one individual has managed to come up with a completely 'fair' outcome. I've yet to see and single one presented that you cannot pick dozens of holes in. 

14-10-10-10 is as 'fair' as it can get.

22 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

See all this TV contract stuff that the papers make sound mega by rolling up 4 years worth to quote as £120m or whatever? That's only £30m a year. It's less than 15% of the combined turnover of the Scottish clubs.

Be interested to know if you removed the TV money from clubs income before comparing it to the clubs income.

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:

Hearts fans are collectively making far bigger fools of themselves than their big brothers did in 2012. Don't stops lads, this is tremendous stuff emoji23.png

1 hour ago, TonyFerrino said:

Their sense of entitlement is remarkably similar.  Funny that.

It's almost getting to the stage where 'Budge is only using this to deflect blame from her among the gormless Hearts fanbase' becomes a more plausible explanation for this strategy than 'Budge is just a fucking moron'. 

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

The thing is, it is fair that Hearts get relegated.

The rules that all clubs ( including Hearts ) signed up for, clearly state that if you are bottom at the end of the season, you get relegated.

Budge is saying that they will lose £3m if they go down, well like any club they should have budgeted for a 'worst case scenario'. Relegation has been on the cards for them all season and they should have budgeted for this possibility (be it now or when the season was due to finish), they didn't, they took a risk and spent a shitload more money. Her financial failure is not anyone else's fault.

If you are at the wind-up, then fair enough. But if you are just a bit challenged, I've highlighted the key words to help you.

Edited by Pet Jeden

3 minutes ago, Cornishman said:

I don't see how this is fair?

If they propose these changes to happen in 3 seasons time then fair enough. 

What's fair is to go with this season's rules.

9 minutes ago, Cornishman said:

So who else comes up to reshuffle this? 2nd in the respective leagues?

There's not an automatic 2nd promotion place in Championship, League One or League two so surely going by the same 'logic' being applied through this thread, that's not fair to the teams below 2nd in each division who still had a realistic shout of promotion via the playoffs and now have that door closed in their faces because reconstruction has been retroactively applied.

Why should promotion via method of 'let's just let 2nd placed teams come up, even though that's not a promotion place' after three quarters of a season be classed as 'fair' but relegation for being shite through three quarters of the season isn't?

As I've said, no-one has presented a truly fair scenario. Because there isn't one.

Edited by djchapsticks

14 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

That's only £30m a year.

The new Sky deal will give clubs about 20% more money in the prize pot.

I dont think many clubs would turn their noses up at that.

8 minutes ago, Cornishman said:

No it isn't, because it would hand out promotion to three teams that finished in a playoff spot at the expense of six others in the exact same position. 

Simply relegating the three obviously dung teams automatically as per standard operating procedure is therefore objectively fairer to more clubs in the SPFL.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

So who else comes up to reshuffle this? 2nd in the respective leagues?

There's not an automatic 2nd promotion place in Championship, League One or League two so surely going by the same 'logic' being applied through this thread, that's not fair to the teams below 2nd in each division who still had a realistic shout of promotion via the playoffs and now have that door closed in their faces because reconstruction has been retroactively applied.

Why should promotion via method of 'let's just let 2nd placed teams come up, even though that's not a promotion place' after three quarters of a season be classed as 'fair' but relegation for being shite through three quarters of the season isn't?

As I've said, no-one has presented a truly fair scenario. Because there isn't one.

Hence, 'is as 'fair' as it can get.'!

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:

Hearts fans are collectively making far bigger fools of themselves than their big brothers did in 2012. Don't stops lads, this is tremendous stuff emoji23.png

Again hIbs invented you, unlike you our history is entirely ours at no time did your rivals play a part in our fine history. 

Diet hobo 😏

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

It's almost getting to the stage where 'Budge is only using this to deflect blame from her among the gormless Hearts fanbase' becomes a more plausible explanation for this strategy than 'Budge is just a fucking moron'. 

I've always assumed this is all about her legacy. She's due to stand down and hand over the club and she's determined not to have her last year be seen as a failure - of course you could argue it already is. She's already claimed she's not handing the club over with the current situation, which adds more weight to this being hubris more than anything else.