League Reconstruction 20/21 season

23 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Me as one of the ' auld yins' who vividly remembers the 18 team top league set up before 1974 , I have to say that as a supporter of Motherwell who were almost always mid table at the time I found the arrangement to be terrible.

Basically having no chance of Europe , little risk of relegation and invariably papped out of both cups early, we found ourselves as early as February with nothing to play for. Consequently our attendances plummeted sometimes getting as low as 2,000 when up against clubs in a similar position. 

So for all I understand why some others see the attraction of playing each other only twice and blooding more youngsters the reality is that this is considerably outweighed by the drop in attendances , loss of revenue and the mind numbing boredom when playing games that don't matter. Contrast with just now when invariably deep into the season all clubs have something to play for.

Therefore I would recommend that unless we can retain the current arrangement ( which with Dundee's quid pro quo making this unlikely) I would go reluctantly with an increase to 14. But I would insist on keeping the play offs which to me have been brilliant.

6-Mohsni-Getty.jpg?w968h681

Was the winter break not brought in because of the Betfred cup group stages meaning teams came back 2 weeks earlier, wouldn’t see it getting scrapped unless the group stages also so go with it.

FWIW I also hate the winter break mainly due to the farcical nature of it being at the end of December when the weather isn’t that bad, we then have brutal weather at the end of January/start of February every year without fail.
If the winter break is due to the Betfred Cup groups, why don't the Championship and Leagues One and Two get a winter break? Why do the Premiership clubs squeeze in extra midweek fixtures at Christmas that the lower leagues don't bother with?

If they were to look at a 16-team league with the required 4 OF games, would this suggestion fit the bill?

All 16 teams play each other home and away - 30 games.

League splits into two groups of 8, and each group member plays each other once - 7 games, total of 37 games played.

The two groups then split further, making 4 groups of 4, and each group member plays each other once - 3 games, total of 40 games.

Would potentially make the final games of the season very exciting as it will be teams directly in competition for each other, and would keep the number of games relatively similar to the current system. Also would very likely lead to 4 OF games (unless Rangers are particularly shite one season). Definitely not perfect and the idea of separating the league in 4 parts might be too much for some, but it's just an idea I thought about. Apologies if someone else already thought of this, I would not have been aware of it.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

3 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

If they were to look at a 16-team league with the required 4 OF games, would this suggestion fit the bill?

All 16 teams play each other home and away - 30 games.

League splits into two groups of 8, and each group member plays each other once - 7 games, total of 37 games played.

The two groups then split further, making 4 groups of 4, and each group member plays each other once - 3 games, total of 40 games.

Would potentially make the final games of the season very exciting as it will be teams directly in competition for each other, and would keep the number of games relatively similar to the current system. Definitely not perfect and the idea of separating the league in 4 parts might be too much for some, but it's just an idea I thought about. Apologies if someone else already thought of this, I would not have been aware of it.

Interesting suggestion! I think the SPFL have been advised by the police to ensure the Old Firm is not a title decider, which wouldn't happen in any other league in the world. I can't think of any other flaws in that suggestion, other than three splits might be a bit of a headache for those planning the fixture list.

5 hours ago, RussellV1 said:

Here’s my idea 

16 teams - 30 fixtures home & away

1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16* from the previous season’s standings split into 4 groups to get 6 more fixtures.

36 games, unless hilarity happens 4 Glasgow Derby games to keep sky happy 

*replace relegated teams with promoted teams. 

Thats almost a conference system and is how the Elite League ice hockey tries to level out the playing field between the larger teams down south and the Scottish teams.

its way to out there to be accepted but I do like it.

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Why on earth would you use the previous season's finishes rather than just having a split?

You could have all the fixtures set out in one go at the start of the season using this method. Play first half of the season and the "placed games" before Christmas and then start over again. A total of 18 games in each half of the season, balance fixtures and it gives Sky their 4 OF games that they seem to want, unless one of them has a disastrous season and then the next would just have 2 OF games.

Those promoted and who just escaped have 6 "easier" games and if a team has a good season they then have 6 harder games but I guess the extra revenue.  I would imagine it could cause a bit of a swing in the table but people want variety. 

using last years table the first group would be Celtic, Rangers , Kilmarnock and Aberdeen , second group of Hearts, Hibs, St Johnstone and Motherwell, third group Livingston, Hamilton, St Mirren and Dundee and the fourth group Ross County, Dundee United, ICT and Ayr.  If someone in the lower group picked up 12-18 points they would be placed  a lot higher that season. 

What about focusing on other things and not  just numbers in each league, if we are starting again..

Proper financial fair play to stop teams “over investing”

Proper tools to defeat sectarian singing

Minimum number of home grown players in squads/lineups 

Premiership of 16 teams all playing each other home and away gives us 30 games. 

League then splits in to 2 x8 and teams play each other once takes us to 37 games. 
Home and away being decided by ‘luck of the draw’ 

League then splits into 4x4 and all play each other once taking us to 40 games. Fixtures reversed from previous split. 

Top 4 fighting for league/Europe 

2nd and 3rd group of 4 pretty much playing for prize money and places. 

Bottom 4 fighting it out for automatic  relegation/ playoffs 

Bottom 2 automatically relegated with third bottom in the play offs. 

Keeps the 4 OF games. 

Potentially gives you final 3 games in top and bottom groups that would have a lot riding on them. 

Adds 2 games to the season but reverting back to a knockout bet Fred could compensate for that. 

7 minutes ago, Saint Shug said:

League then splits in to 2 x8 and teams play each other once takes us to 37 games. 

League then splits into 4x4 and all play each other once taking us to 40 games. Fixtures reversed from previous split. 

Keeps the 4 OF games. 

Potentially gives you final 3 games in top and bottom groups that would have a lot riding on them. 

Adds 2 games to the season but reverting back to a knockout bet Fred could compensate for that. 

Fucking hell.

22 minutes ago, Saint Shug said:

Keeps the 4 OF games. 

Cease...desist...stop...refrain...

43 minutes ago, flood said:

What about focusing on other things and not  just numbers in each league, if we are starting again..

Proper financial fair play to stop teams “over investing”

Proper tools to defeat sectarian singing

Minimum number of home grown players in squads/lineups 

Proper pitches to play on.

If the winter break is due to the Betfred Cup groups, why don't the Championship and Leagues One and Two get a winter break? Why do the Premiership clubs squeeze in extra midweek fixtures at Christmas that the lower leagues don't bother with?

They finish 2 games or 2 weeks sooner than us (exc playoffs). Those games I’d imagine are to make up for no league games being played for 21+ days.

2 hours ago, The Reverend said:

Interesting suggestion! I think the SPFL have been advised by the police to ensure the Old Firm is not a title decider, which wouldn't happen in any other league in the world. I can't think of any other flaws in that suggestion, other than three splits might be a bit of a headache for those planning the fixture list.

Celtic won the league against Rangers two years ago and the world didn't collapse in on itself, so I think the police are on weaker ground with that now.

23 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Celtic won the league against Rangers two years ago and the world didn't collapse in on itself, so I think the police are on weaker ground with that now.

A fair point, but then Celtic were clearly going to win it. If it was a really tight league, it'd likely cause a bit more bother.

4 hours ago, Raphael said:

For the sake of Scottish football Hearts need to stay in the league.  All the Diddies are gonna miss the Maroon pound that floods into their post industrial hovels when the establishment comes to town.

Big Jock Chewin' The Fat on Make a GIF

Even if there is reconstruction, in the name of sporting integrity the three relegated teams must still be relegated to play in the league below.

32 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Even if there is reconstruction, in the name of sporting integrity the three relegated teams must still be relegated to play in the league below.

That would happen in a planned reconstruction, but not this time. Hearts and Thistle particularly have lost the chance to avoid relegation.

And all this to save Hearts. You know what, f**k HEARTS. 
^^^^^^this

A short-term reconstruction to save 1 club when other clubs with more legitimate cause for complaint accept it isn't normal times and Hearts are where they are because they are shite. Keep the leagues as they are.

I say go hog wild & adopt a Latin American apertura/clasura system if only to witness yer Pat Bonners of the world spending most of the season trying to figure out & understand how it works ala a repeat of the nations league