League Reconstruction 20/21 season

That actually sounds OK. Although I would be interested to know from those in the lower divisions how they feel about a North and a South league. Would most fans that attend the leagues that would be affected feel it is better, ie less travelling possibly bigger crowds, or that the most fun games are the far away ones.

I personally think consideration should be given to those in lower divisions as to what is best for them rather than the top divisions clubs just riding roughshod all over them.

2 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

This is just that stupid powerpoint making the rounds before that I'm pretty sure was already rejected.

Yup, it was a proposal that was comfortably laughed out years ago.

There wont be any league reconstruction, I'm pretty confident of that.

They're waiting until the end of June to try and finalise this season, then theyll vote to either void the season or end it where it is. Anything else is just over active imaginations thinking things up.

57 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They're waiting until the end of June to try and finalise this season, then theyll vote to either void the season or end it where it is. Anything else is just over active imaginations thinking things up.

My understanding is that it would potentially be extremely costly to void the league, as it would technically void all the sponsorship, TV contracts, etc. I don't think it's fair to finalise the season with the current standings, either. It really is a very difficult situation, and I'm not really sure what the best solution is. Could this season be finished in August/September? Then scrap the winter break, the league cup and abolish replays in the Scottish Cup? 

Edited by The Reverend

57 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

That'll  be us getting reconstruction then.

10 hours ago, geddyalexneil said:

That actually sounds OK. Although I would be interested to know from those in the lower divisions how they feel about a North and a South league. Would most fans that attend the leagues that would be affected feel it is better, ie less travelling possibly bigger crowds, or that the most fun games are the far away ones.

I personally think consideration should be given to those in lower divisions as to what is best for them rather than the top divisions clubs just riding roughshod all over them.

Pretty sure most fans of lower league clubs don't want regional leagues. It's usually almost always fans of clubs who wouldn't be affected who call for regionalisation. I think the feeling is that it would get boring very quickly and derbies would quickly those their appeal.

9 hours ago, The Reverend said:

My understanding is that it would potentially be extremely costly to void the league, as it would technically void all the sponsorship, TV contracts, etc. I don't think it's fair to finalise the season with the current standings, either. It really is a very difficult situation, and I'm not really sure what the best solution is. Could this season be finished in August/September? Then scrap the winter break, the league cup and abolish replays in the Scottish Cup? 

How would it void sponsorship and TV contracts? What do these contracts actually say about such a scenario?

The current setup works fine. Would there be any talk of reconstruction if this virus wasn't around? The motivation is to keep Hearts up. Would there be calls for reconstruction if Hamilton were bottom? I do not think so. Declare on current positions if the League cannot be finished (my preference is to finish it) but not reconstruction.

18 minutes ago, Dele said:

Seems a strange line for Gilmour to take. An Understandable one but one you'd reckon he'd have been better not saying. 

Not really the case.

This is a fair comment to make (even for a St M man)

The fairytale suspension thinking we could restart at end April now May now more like October leaves us with two simple options finish when able and have a shortened 20/21 season, maybe a 2021 Jan season or unable to play before June 2020 finish it then and play the next season.

While not happy with awarding on present standings it is the only reasonable solution with some sort of compensation for teams who are relegated.

1 minute ago, Paisley Ton said:

While not happy with awarding on present standings it is the only reasonable solution with some sort of compensation for teams who are relegated.

How is that fair on the clubs in the league they're relegated into? 

Why would it be saving Hearts? 
Seems a strange line for Gilmour to take. An Understandable one but one you'd reckon he'd have been better not saying. 
Why? He is absolutely spot on.

Changing the league set up to prevent an 'unfair' relegation is saving the bottom club.

If it was County, Livi, Accies or Saints sitting 12th there is no way league construction would even be mentioned.

2 minutes ago, Dele said:

Don't see your issue.

I am happy to lose D Unt and get Hearts.

Biggest loss will be teams denied opportunity  of getting promoted.

But this is what we face.

It's not. The relegated club get a 500k parachute payment the first season then 250k the following season. That should be it.

This is unprecedented, not everyone is going to be happy with the outcome.

Celtic have been the best team so should be champions, up until now Hearts have been absolutely chronic and sit bottom of the league. United have romped the 2nd tier and would have been promoted.

Would Dundee, Ayr, ICT, Morton, Arbroath all fancy themselves to get into the playoffs? Why should ICT get promoted if the league is extended? They have been the 2nd best team up until now but that's not to say they would have finished 2nd.

Going to be a lot of seethe whatever the outcome is.

18 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Going to be a lot of seethe whatever the outcome is.

Absolutely. I've always said Celtic, and United should get the leagues, but not be promoted as there is no clear relegation candidate. The play offs also skwiff everything. Then there's the top of league 1, seperated by a point. 

Like you say : a lot of seethe.

Call them champions if you want or null and void it altogether. The only way, I see, is to start afresh same leagues next season. 

Edited by Dele

Rushing through some botched league reconstruction as a reaction to this crisis would definitely, definitely end well.

If it’s not possible to finish the season then end it as it is, European places based on current standings, Celtic champions etc.

Promotion/relegation is tough one, I’d be inclined to cancel it for this season and leave leagues as they are.

The motivation for a reconstruction is not "just to save Hearts", it's an attempt to get out of this mess in a way that doesn't negatively impact on clubs. It's as much about Dundee United, Partick Thistle, Queen of the South, Falkirk, Raith and many others.

That's not to say I agree with doing it, because I don't, and I don't actually think the document was genuine (or at least I don't think it was put out there by anyone on the SPFL board, or was being seriously considered by them). However, the idea that it's purely for Hearts' benefit is absolute nonsense from Stewart Gilmour, which shouldn't be a surprise because that is more or less his default setting.