League Reconstruction 20/21 season

With Ann Budge apparently calling for league reconstruction, I was wondering how people felt this would work.

I am not sure how a 14 team league would work. I would imagine current TV contracts would specify four Old Firm matches, which would mean the split would have to be retained. 

I would have two national leagues and then regionalise them below that. I think reconstruction won't happen and wither there will be a legal battle or Hearts will be offered a settlement.

For 14 teams it would need to have a 6/8 split. I've been calling for it for a number of years as a way of redressing the current unbalanced split while offering top flight teams slightly more variety without diluting the Championship too much. 

14 teams, split after everyone plays H and A with top 6 and bottom 8. Further H & A games so all in each half play equal number H & A and in theory the addition games in the bottom 8 compensates for only 2 v the arse cheeks. Straight 2 up 2 down or current play off scenario TBD.

5 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Personally always been in favour of a bigger league, with less games against each team.

It will never, ever happen though as long as Celgers are about. Which is a pity. Because they are c***s.

As much as I despise the Old Firm, I do acknowledge that they bring money into the game. The chief selling point of the top division are the Old Firm games, so aye we will always retain a structure which allows for four of them. 

The other problem with a bigger league is that it would include even smaller teams. When you consider that Celtic and Rangers would be large clubs in the Premier League in terms of their fan base and infrastructure, Hamilton would be a National League club. The bigger the league, the greater the disparity.

9 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

For 14 teams it would need to have a 6/8 split. I've been calling for it for a number of years as a way of redressing the current unbalanced split while offering top flight teams slightly more variety without diluting the Championship too much. 

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

14 teams, split after everyone plays H and A with top 6 and bottom 8. Further H & A games so all in each half play equal number H & A and in theory the addition games in the bottom 8 compensates for only 2 v the arse cheeks. Straight 2 up 2 down or current play off scenario TBD.

Interesting that you and Falcor Roar had the same idea. 

I see the logic, as the top six sides are likely to progress further in the cups and have European games, too.

So that would mean 36 games for the top six clubs:  (13 x 2) + (5 x 2) and  40 games for the bottom sides (13 x 2) + (7 x 2). Which sounds feasible. 

2 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Why do they need a split at all ? 

To ensure there are four Old Firm games. If you had a 14 team league without a split, and each team played every other four times, you have 52 league games.

4 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

Because Sky in collaboration with the bigot brothers crave 4 games against each other

Exactly! Though I also think it makes the end of the season more exciting, as the fixtures are more likely to be six pointers.

43 minutes ago, The Reverend said:

As much as I despise the Old Firm, I do acknowledge that they bring money into the game. The chief selling point of the top division are the Old Firm games, so aye we will always retain a structure which allows for four of them. 

The other problem with a bigger league is that it would include even smaller teams. When you consider that Celtic and Rangers would be large clubs in the Premier League in terms of their fan base and infrastructure, Hamilton would be a National League club. The bigger the league, the greater the disparity.

Ach by the time it all gets going again everyone will have forgotten what format they were playing anyway ......................So they can make up anything they want .