South Region Challenge Cup 2020-21

"The annual subscription for each club shall be £35 and shall be payable before the Annual General meeting in each year."
https://www.scottishjuniorfa.com/media/2422/sjfa-constitution-rules-2019-20.pdf

The fee is quite modest really and I suppose that if clubs wished, they could field a development side in order to retain a link with their roots.
Would it be worth Talbot putting out their full side if they draw for example Sauchie Juniors Community?
So clubs keep the aura of the cup going by fielding a youth side.....kind of goes against the whole idea behind keeping access doesn't it? Its like keeping access just for the sake of it if clubs do that.

There appears to be a certain amount of room to amend the rules of the South Region Challenge Cup including adopting the name of the sponsor.

There might be some mileage in allowing West Lothian Junior, Tayside Junior, North Junior and Highland League clubs optional entry into the competition on application.

This would be a way of bringing our football family closer together. Enable remaining Juniors to taste the “after-life “ in the Senior world.

It would also give EOSFL, SoSFL, LL and emerging WoSFL control of a real semi-professional national cup rather than leave the SJFA to cobble together their version.

Lots of time at the moment to plan such a change.

Not for me, pyramid teams only. Clubs have made their choices, why give them access to a pyramid cup.

The idea of a national cup, whilst noble, is a few years away. We have yet to see how the wosfl and eosfl will function. For now, with what we have and what is still settling league wise, the South challenge will be a big enough Cup for everyone to sink their teeth into i suspect.

1 hour ago, G4Mac said:

Not for me, pyramid teams only. Clubs have made their choices, why give them access to a pyramid cup.

The idea of a national cup, whilst noble, is a few years away. We have yet to see how the wosfl and eosfl will function. For now, with what we have and what is still settling league wise, the South challenge will be a big enough Cup for everyone to sink their teeth into i suspect.

Yeha to be honest the south challenge cup looks exciting now with the West included and an even bigger East section, throwing in the SOS teams and the top LL teams I'm looking forward to it.   Look there is still the attitude of the juniors grade, even for the Scottish junior cup but as the years unfold more and more team will realize the importance of the WOS and the LL league and the challenge cup, (whatever format it takes on), and  these teams will start to not bother with the junior cup. 

The teams that have remained junior then that's kl, that's they're prerogative and leave them too it. Over the next couple of years, you will see more teams leaving the juniors to join the pyramid.  I don't see this as a bad thing, if they arrive later on, years on, that's was their decision so good for them but I don't think they will last.  They will either join the pyramid, go to the amateur ranks or fold.  Its about the management of the team and the managements/committees vision.

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

58 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

This would be a way of bringing our football family closer together. Enable remaining Juniors to taste the “after-life “ in the Senior world.

Juniors have had their taste at the "after-life" its called the Scottish Cup. The "after-life" was sweet some of the Juniors in the East factored remaining Junior as an easier route into the Scottish Cup by winning the East Region or Junior Cup instead of signing up to the pyramid and working on licencing.

There's a small pot of money that helps keep the South Region Challenge Cup working in terms of paying out travel expenses. It shouldn't be going to clubs outside the pyramid or even to the Highland League unless they want to be an equal member of running it.

I'll be honest, looking at the list of teams eligible to enter the South Challenge Cup, it looks a whole lot sexier than what'll be left in the Junior Cup next season, which will be whatever West clubs choose to enter, a handful of West Lothian remainers or the probable loss-maker of a trip to Tayside or points north.

Obviously, the Junior Cup's still got the advantage of name recognition over the SCC...but I'd contend that while the likes of Brigitte Bardot also still has name recognition it doesn't necessarily follow that folk would still be queuing up to win a date with her decades on from her heyday now she's turned into a nasty, racist old cat lady...it's maybe time to move on.

Edited by Hillonearth

I'll be honest, looking at the list of teams eligible to enter the South Challenge Cup, it looks a whole lot sexier than what'll be left in the Junior Cup next season, which will be whatever West clubs choose to enter, a handful of West Lothian remainers or the probable loss-maker of a trip to Tayside or points north.
Obviously, the Junior Cup's still got the advantage of name recognition over the SCC...but I'd contend that while the likes of Brigitte Bardot also still has name recognition it doesn't necessarily follow that folk would still be queuing up to win a date with her decades on from her heyday now she's turned into a nasty, racist old cat lady...it's maybe time to move on.
You wont have a choice over the SCC.

1 minute ago, BMan said:
35 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

You wont have a choice over the SCC.

Suits me.

The scc cup is a cup that will be regarded as a must participate. The junior Cup is an diction for wosfl teams only and will fit around league and pyramid cup fixtures. I would also imagine the sea will remove Scottish cup entry for superleague and junior cup winners, maybe not right away but in the next couple of years. It isn't justifiable to keep access going for clubs who wish no part in the pyramid.

12 hours ago, G4Mac said:
13 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

The scc cup is a cup that will be regarded as a must participate. The junior Cup is an diction for wosfl teams only and will fit around league and pyramid cup fixtures. I would also imagine the sea will remove Scottish cup entry for superleague and junior cup winners, maybe not right away but in the next couple of years. It isn't justifiable to keep access going for clubs who wish no part in the pyramid.

Will anybody represent the now defunct West Region of the Juniors in next season's big Scottish Cup?

16 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Will anybody represent the now defunct West Region of the Juniors in next season's big Scottish Cup?

Technically Girvan.

It doesn't look like the WRSJFA will declare a champion so cannot claim the qualifying spot. Same with the Junior Cup, with no winner there is no qualifying.

Technically Girvan.
It doesn't look like the WRSJFA will declare a champion so cannot claim the qualifying spot. Same with the Junior Cup, with no winner there is no qualifying.
No East Region Champion either although that obviously doesn't affect the SCC.

18 hours ago, Pyramidic said:

There appears to be a certain amount of room to amend the rules of the South Region Challenge Cup including adopting the name of the sponsor.

So the SJFA could sponsor it and call it the Scottish Junior Cup...

19 hours ago, Pyramidic said:

There might be some mileage in allowing West Lothian Junior, Tayside Junior, North Junior and Highland League clubs optional entry into the competition on application.

It would also give EOSFL, SoSFL, LL and emerging WoSFL control of a real semi-professional national cup rather than leave the SJFA to cobble together their version.

Lots of time at the moment to plan such a change.

It's a pyramid cup for the lowland catchment.

The west lothian juniors can play in it when they join the eos.

3 hours ago, BMan said:
3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:
Technically Girvan.

No East Region Champion either although that obviously doesn't affect the SCC.

West Region are still discussing the issue and will make their decision known to Clubs in due course.