South Region Challenge Cup 2020-21

1 minute ago, andy25 said:

I dont get a flu jag so why would I get a jag for something thats probably going to have little effect on me?

You're right enough. All these people would have died at some time anyway. It's all smoke and mirrors. 🙈

Oh dear! I think we should get back to the fitba talk.

2 hours ago, andy25 said:

Surely 50-50 is fairer than home team keeping all the money though.
If 1500 hundred turned up for Kelty v Talbot say Kelty took £10000+ in gate money you think it's right that Kelty keep all that emoji848.png

What talbot have done for years so nothing’s changed for them with home teams keeping the gates 🤷‍♂️

12 hours ago, Talbot supporter said:

Just call it the Scottish Challenge Cup and amalgumate the SJC into it , like a Scottish cup for all non league clubs

There's already a competition named that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Challenge_Cup - though a non-league tournament could instead be called the SFA Trophy.

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Do these playground level insult sort of posts contribute constructively to the discussion? The reality whether the hardline anti-junior types on here like it or not is that the SJFA probably isn't going away any time soon and is now embedded inside the pyramid with 53 out of 67 WoS clubs still members and the 30 or so clubs of the north region likely to enter soon when the north superleague becomes a tier 6 feeder for the HL. The focus should be on how to move forward, sort out the mess in the east and build a strong national cup competition using the traditions of the SJC as its foundation rather than having an ongoing rivalry between the SCC and SJC.

Who knows, there might not be a Junior Cup this season and more clubs may not bother to renew their membership. The ball is surely in the SJFA's court when it comes to what happens with the Junior Cup though.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The focus should be on how to have a competition that keeps alive the traditions that gave us moments like this:

Now that Tom Johnston is heading off into the sunset to enjoy his retirement that shouldn't be mission impossible. It's time for a lot of people to hit the reset button on how they approach these issues..

As if the South Challenge Cup can't also give great moments like that - here's an overhead kick to win the final in 2018 for Civil Service Strollers v BSC Glasgow.

2 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

anorak alert: liked the fact that the draw yesterday was biggest in Senior football since the 2nd Rd Qualifier of the 1893-94 Scottish Cup.

Not that I was doubting Kenny but that'll be why I couldn't find that draw on wikipedia :)

Edited by Ginaro

8 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

There's already a competition named that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Challenge_Cup - though a non-league tournament could instead be called the SFA Trophy.

Who knows, there might not be a Junior Cup this season and more clubs may not bother to renew their membership. The ball is surely in the SJFA's court when it comes to what happens with the Junior Cup though.

As if the South Challenge Cup can't also give great moments like that - here's an overhead kick to win the final in 2018 for Civil Service Strollers v BSC Glasgow.

Not that I was doubting Kenny but that'll be why I couldn't find that draw on wikipedia :)

I was at that game and had a perfect view on that overhead kick. It was a joy to watch for me as a neutral. :) 

Edited by Marten

No Ibrox as the backdrop with around 15,000 spectators and not shown live on STV, so I think the point is being missed in a big way here. The final of the flagship tournament for the nonleague game needs to be a wee bit bigger in scale than that, because it's the annual event that can make this level of football visible to a significantly larger audience. Now the SFA own Hampden there is a much better chance of getting a national final played there again to add to the sense of occasion.

15 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

No Ibrox as the backdrop with around 15,000 spectators and not shown live on STV, so I think the point is being missed in a big way here. The final of the flagship tournament for the nonleague game needs to be a wee bit bigger in scale than that, because it's the annual event that can make this level of football visible to a significantly larger audience. Now the SFA own Hampden there is a much better chance of getting a national final played there again to add to the sense of occasion.

Maybe pick one of the many well attended Junior Cup finals from say this century to show what's possible. Especially with BBC Scotland coming along & we don't have to worry about Gaelic commentary.

All that's done is remind me that Bailleston don't exist anymore. STV struggle to show any live sport. And its going to be difficult to get 10,000 at a non-league final, let alone another 5k on top of that.

^^^being argumentative for the sake of it with no attempt to address the main issue is this guy's MO. Another reseaon that having the final of the flagship cup as a big occasion with a national media profile rather than just another Alex Jack sort of final is that the possibility of the local team getting there is what generates extra interest in the earlier rounds and keeps a club relevant in its local community amongst a more casual fanbase that only goes along a few times a season.

14 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

^^^being argumentative for the sake of it with no attempt to address the main issue is this guy's MO. Another reseaon that having the final of the flagship cup as a big occasion with a national media profile rather than just another Alex Jack sort of final is that the possibility of the local team getting there is what generates extra interest in the earlier rounds and keeps a club relevant in its local community amongst a more casual fanbase that only goes along a few times a season.

If you want to consider it as such.

Final on BBC Scotland and being able to match recent Junior Cup finals attendances seems a more realistic set of expectations.

If we're digging deep into the 80s can we also get someone outside of Glasgow winning the top flight?

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Is the fa trophy final shown on sky. I know it has been in the past but if that is  what we are comparing against

3 hours ago, Ginaro said:

I have Stewart Davidson's Qualifying Cup booklet and it includes the SC qualifying rounds pre 1895 which is nice. It was actually 1st qualifying round I see looking again.

YYHWRIV8g-rNTwkyHQlU9CLlyEK2hbD-PJBonIHUcoEGl2qTTdwLKD_ZGhGifV5O_gToDOvJ4ZI59RoGbd3fKQIhu4HzJbwXrulMeHTTxH3xPRoVbA-y8xisjdzTeEd1oSE8fFaGVkqm7a96kFkJemSQmdqJg_MJhWLSz5Km-gSRHFpEDgg-n_kdWP94hTjvRAzT5dUWHgoeBPISZAcSYviypvSP8ssAIwc7aa5fhqELJLZzwfQa0u1p_kPNUxT7zGOblbHqQOVvw4QKOaXJXfU7cBWBFffvK1rI05DvYf0_2dc4LaQbfOztcP3DSDD6cAMfCTsOVK2tIke00lnyd3DZcqf8-YgRBzdjYjLfOMpbIlIhhi2MkNYVBLdLi5UGwDhCVMX5cKKwog5I1i4hfTLBFpJsAioep9uIfylH-N3Ke7YZ4W5pI8rBdaMrS9HKvsKMzYCm-pZa8tQ-0w8lmjV_5JuSM09Crf0mwQ2g5jR0ViJ7MqYD6H4lE-FXSJHNClY-5IaSXTLBYTJhrOZSdAU9-oRD53AOgj2ZBh_zRzpM1-swdIRChwimXDCD1aSWsSFHe5_TJZ6l3a9APN1S9_wZpwOa67ree5Vw1L7vafsDEg_HvmVy1Z2sOrDP24jTXr_CmVezVkpAlEIQiDGCZdXRqwrd0PNVDR2rbLvqHA9azd7n5owD89Fm9aiGdQ=w704-h938-no?authuser=0

LrIEmfOyDwbP9Hgsc3RCEO0f8b-2n8l11UalhQuKPy_dOCT9CQLH_MW1DWpA-Dg-Lp_GXmS2cCwbe2VY6pd8rhdjvLvaTM57PgqZVB4icS0b7o-ECuCovVtH0BPrgGrhDnT17lFvLwIDzOmO6OWOFcBdnw9KIW4pvkgLX9qcLGq_qLN-A9XMbZeu0GfhlYLHC4OsZIS044pqY_-_PJcCK1na9bDm_K2YMEKoNRekrJJSRe10JEPDn2N5vJaRJIm4anQjxmBA3-ZERIiwWWUPo6wzN1gGyqRPZseN1cK0jD65K2cO8YR1rWZPHstN_vn3Xfufn6cZzLrqIH1WCeXKpuGjygZuOU6e-GwIOXhldtuxe-DpKsdtnvPax3qbbt_mJxGL12YWUZ0No4J60vfFz7J141xzrMo9z8isOCTXJqncJJS6EMVb7DEdHzRGYcyPLP-m-Sd6LbvPwCDlBjOcy0R6EGzZ8OnL0gW2g2PwPrLwmlNn9m3uzUnt9k-u5ApGpZ-prHaphzBCKcHzx7kKNYZAn5qGn9zLHrbhcWbmOpoR9ntcxADfxJ6zNVQdRA3V-yQUUPDxBFgpeKAlgG4o703ceJJgopZAte8fb7W1vZ17RF2036DPFVL8Gc8NlQ07iSphdJ6wdhAiQ7szdz_0zP2vi-xgUugstQIDi9FbSFEmXGHpmelq5d3OqrFdoQ=w704-h938-no?authuser=0

M8s0dI47S3zIEDXxDQvfWRefDZAdXoNcQgjm93Q_hp3Nk16TPtmPSLcwDHFiJAC7khWl_eHZZ8guzBVhqFqBFXfcpBAcvc_LLId_frMA4XzCexZKOBq66OWEUYjkz3jw6ePZZn-OZQPNuQ2-z_NxPmDt4lRLBsvGGqd3LOrf8eVb97Iw33kFksolxHfDlyWPhowf3xPm7h-HDbXrBndeip6StQpmVfRa2uZFB6zzuNW0jR_-onpr9RPLZffKTXVbgjo0CtTEGkjHNFBc_7DOEK_TQDWoGCFEv4GwGNwtL7kjYagbBXHXADopgQDIgr7IvT2K-iU5rMsJLXQ5r8SToZ2cA1Lo-zY0662xax1lZlPJQY_pfHDPfUmSU3KJZEm7T_oG0B8Dp6KMKXCK94LueYW-b-ZPYggGp_IViJHHU6dPGxLVRPhNGOrilY_NWq0GJcjOROv-Xn_-RFImfIsYuoh3dzAxy6yAYR5TS8dsMyzv8Q-f21NM4z6NOK_dHEZ5gK2aCgxg5yvQviq6XfHTD-L3GG9n4wATnWYZ7FyTNJ9f2hT_FuTEKNqIkqHpau-YuLsBy68G3WEDhPFntZrf_J-V6-8fBIozjYqZ8uLbheu7DEOg9WdPapX7gIMqU959EmFZTzqebiXIngDtEbuFgfVD3TpPUG2RIA0A_t3WOd4J2iz3X2yHZxTRaWaJEw=w704-h938-no?authuser=0

What talbot have done for years so nothing’s changed for them with home teams keeping the gates [emoji2369]
How would u know what talbot have done or not done when was the last time darvel played talbot in a big cup competition for u to make this claim oh hold on must be a good few years cause use have never really got far in the big cups have u but has always u say something without speaking just goes to show what a joke you are when u know nothing

1 minute ago, GNU_Linux said:
10 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:
I have Stewart Davidson's Qualifying Cup booklet and it includes the SC qualifying rounds pre 1895 which is nice. It was actually 1st qualifying round I see looking again.

Big fan of the names United Abstainers & Adventurers.

Quite a few familiar names as well. Those guys would be cheap hospitality though!

9 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Do these playground level insult sort of posts contribute constructively to the discussion? The reality whether the hardline anti-junior types on here like it or not is that the SJFA probably isn't going away any time soon and is now embedded inside the pyramid with 53 out of 67 WoS clubs still members and the 30 or so clubs of the north region likely to enter soon when the north superleague becomes a tier 6 feeder for the HL. The focus should be on how to move forward, sort out the mess in the east and build a strong national cup competition using the traditions of the SJC as its foundation rather than having an ongoing rivalry between the SCC and SJC.

Longtime I've listened and listened to some shite over the years in here, from junior hardliners and from pyramid hardliners as well, as I'm sure you have.
We've all said things on here regarding each of our views, some with even stronger views that other don't like, me too and I get that, the offensive people and ignorant people on here, we know the main ones, we just ignore but for my tuppence worth I will say....

The junior cup is not embedded inside the pyramid, it isn't, only in certain peoples minds. The teams that have moved from the junior ranks to the pyramid ranks, most have retained their junior status because they don't know any better or their committee isn't forward, future thinking people. Time is time and eventually these people will move out and younger ones will take over and the views of the club will change, the membership of junior clubs will slowly become less and less each year

I don't believe the junior cup will be played this season for the simple reason as I see it virtually impossible to fit in, especially for the teams in the West tier 6 league but then again, I'm not a fixture guy.
Agree the mess about the East and North etc.. trying to find a way that they can easily and smoothly move into the pyramid is hard but sure someday I'm sure it will be done.
Yes in the East, there are a few teams who intend to  move to the pyramid for season 2021/22 (FACT - and no I wont elaborate) and will those couple of teams moving have a knock on effect with the other East teams, mibbiees aye, mibbies naw.   Not sure how the tayside and Aberdeen sides will work out so its anyone's guess.

If they all move over there could be the ''South Challenge Cup' and maybe a northern counterpart 'North Challenge Cup' and even an 'East Challenge cup' and then there could be a 'Scottish Non League Cup'  What would this mean for the Scottish Junior cup well the grade will truly be finished and they could either use the trophy for the main non league cup or just put it in the SFA History room.

Right now we are where we are, Covid stricken and football, all football, is suffering so we have to get back to what we all love, football and here's hoping the season starts.
I'm looking forward to the league starting, (fingers crossed) and just want to enjoy watching football.  I'm sure as the season starts there will be the usual banter on here, windups, and egits and even the trolls. Im happy to read all that on here, why, because it means the season has started back

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

Time will tell on what happens this season due to COVID, but the significance of WoS clubs being able to retain SJFA membership should not be underestimated because it means that the SJC is no longer exclusive to a separate grade of clubs.

That means that the senior grade can now potentially proceed to assimilate the SJC into its fixture calendar in the years ahead as Scotland's FA Trophy equivalent, if that's what most of the clubs involved would prefer to have happen.