South Region Challenge Cup 2020-21

18 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Its come quite a way over the years. First edition of the SCC had 38 teams in it. Then it would shift to a SW /NE regional draw for the first few rounds to minimise the travel costs.

Has it really come quite a way? It's just benefitting from the Juniors move. Hardly a feather in the cap for the competition.

18 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Has it really come quite a way? It's just benefitting from the Juniors move. Hardly a feather in the cap for the competition.

Long before the Juniors entered it went from a tournament that could easily be scrapped and dismissed as too costly to run. 

When it was created it didn't really have an obvious place in the calendar. The Qualifying Cup being an early season tournament to get into that season's Scottish Cup and those dates were now being used by the early rounds of the opened up Scottish Cup. With the EoS & SoS having their own established tournaments for later in the season it didn't quite displace those tournaments in the hierarchy.

The SFA subsidised the first two seasons for both the South & North versions of the Challenge Cup. The North version came to an end when the funding stopped. While the South had pivoted to regionalised early rounds to make it sustainable in the longer term.

With the creation of the Lowland League it became the main competition for the Lowland area and had gotten to a place in 2016-17 where the tournament became an open draw with no regionalisation again.

In ten years it went from something additional in the non-league senior calendar to the tournament that everyone's fixture list was basically shaped around.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

There are people who are very keen to push this cup as part of a wider ongoing anti-junior football agenda. Hopefully, now that the vast majority of entrants are teams that were in the Junior Cup until very recently, the tail won't wag the dog for much longer and a way will be found to carry on the traditions of having a national rather than a regional cup as the most prestigious knockout format competition.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

36 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

There are people who are very keen to push this cup as part of a wider ongoing anti-junior football agenda. Hopefully, now that the vast majority of entrants are teams that were in the Junior Cup until very recently, the tail won't wag the dog for much longer and a way will be found to carry on the traditions of having a national rather than a regional cup as the most prestigious knockout format competition.

My buttocks are clenching at reading that - time to accept the past is history and the future is the way ahead.

Those clinging to the Junior past are those that will soon be left behind.

46 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

You've obviously got some blinkers on if talking about the history of a tournament counts as part of an "anti-junior football agenda". This is also a specific thread for the competition, so not really sure what you'd expect to find other than people being positive about it for the most part.

The fact that you see things as still being Junior and Senior instead of working together at this point is rather sad.

5 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I'm not sure why you are so desperate to add in the north its not like the north teams were the major driving force in the JUnior Cup. Culter would maybe get to the last 32 or Banks of Dee thats about it.

The Scottish angle is the key to getting the more casual few games a season type fan a reason to actually start giving a Rafael about their local clubs. Strongly suspect the SCC will see finals with WoS or EoS Cup type crowds at best and there will be no extra interest in earlier rounds relative to run of the mill league games. Would you be a regular Camelon fan if the SJC hadn't been the gateway drug that pulled you in?

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The Scottish angle is the key to getting the more casual few games a season type fan a reason to actually start giving a Rafael about their local clubs. Strongly suspect the SCC will see finals with WoS or EoS Cup type crowds at best and there will be no extra interest in earlier rounds relative to run of the mill league games. Would you be a regular Camelon fan if the SJC hadn't been the gateway drug that pulled you in?

I probably would have because if that's all I was I would have done the same as the thousand others and walked away

I probably would have because if that's all I was I would have done the same as the thousand others and walked away

A bit of whatabootery by LongTimeLurker - when I began reluctantly watching Largs (I literally spent most of the match asking how long was left) I certainly didn’t really think we’d go far in the Junior Cup... even though we’d just won it.

When I grew older, it was more the lure of backing a team that wasn’t the Old Firm (Aberdeen weren’t very guid at the time) and being able to tell kids at school who weren’t very nice that I go to the football every Saturday. I was as excited by going to Dalmellington as anywhere else!

26 minutes ago, Sunrise said:

A bit of whatabootery by LongTimeLurker - when I began reluctantly watching Largs (I literally spent most of the match asking how long was left) I certainly didn’t really think we’d go far in the Junior Cup... even though we’d just won it.

When I grew older, it was more the lure of backing a team that wasn’t the Old Firm (Aberdeen weren’t very guid at the time) and being able to tell kids at school who weren’t very nice that I go to the football every Saturday. I was as excited by going to Dalmellington as anywhere else!

None of my parents were into football, so I didn't get brought up supporting anyone. Like most people in that situation I iamgine I ended up "supporting"  the half of the OF that most of my friends did.

First time going to the local Junior side was a friendly against that half of the OF. Who put out what I will generously call a reserve side.

Ground was packed. It was enough of an atmosphere to get the group of friends I went with to keep going sporadically. This was the 90s and with none of our parents fans of the Junior side there wasn't anyone to really educate us on big teams visiting or which cups were important. So none of them really meant anything to us.

When you follow a side that's lucky to win a couple of games in any cup, none of them really mean much. It was the games where you might get promotion or even a division title that were memorable and drew the casual fans along.

On 29/09/2020 at 17:51, Sunrise said:

A bit of whatabootery by LongTimeLurker - ...

More to do with vaguely remembering from another recent thread what AlanCamelonfan's first Camelon game was, but no matter.

10 minutes ago, Burmah Oil said:

East of Scotland starting league on Saturday. If all the games go ahead next three weeks there teams could get the edge in these games:-

Dunbar vs Drumchapel
Lily vs Larkhall
Pollock vs Tranent
Sauchie vs Buffs
Thornton vs Glens

Given Round 2 is scheduled for Nov 21, a January start for WoS could mean SoS/EoS/LL only in the SCC this year, if the other three leagues all start up as appears to be happening.

• 4 weeks later...