South Region Challenge Cup 2020-21

28 minutes ago, rncaa said:

This irrelevance was today? 

Oh ok all so meh. 

Soulless soccer shop challenge south thingy cup that will be lucky to play two or three rounds horrific haud me back. 

No, you're not understanding it fully. It's not the cup that's an irrelevance, it's you.

I used to agree with a lot of what you posted but now [emoji50]

This irrelevance was today? 
Oh ok all so meh. 
Soulless soccer shop challenge south thingy cup that will be lucky to play two or three rounds horrific haud me back. 

11 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Guess we'll get a few more years of people pretending that either the SCC or SJC is an irrelevance in threads like this until common sense finally prevails and they are merged once the tribalists on both sides have finally started to move beyond the junior vs senior thing.

Yep, I'd love for them both to merge. Watching the draw at lunchtime I found it a shame that Lochee United isn't in there. Obviously I realise that we are north of "the boundary", but I'd love to see a national non-league cup competition, which would be largely these teams plus the North & Tayside juniors (I'd expect the remaining ERJFA South teams to eventually join the EOS and thus the SCC anyway).

If the SJC & SCC merge, it's only the HFL and NCL missing for it to be a fully national non-league competition. They might not be interested, but that's no reason to not set up such a cup. Just invite them anyway and then it's up to them to say yes or no.

Edited by Marten

16 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Guess we'll get a few more years of people pretending that either the SCC or SJC is an irrelevance in threads like this until common sense finally prevails and they are merged once the tribalists on both sides have finally started to move beyond the junior vs senior thing.

Are you including yourself in that considering your initial reaction to the draw?

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Odds of that happening two years running are unlikely enough to make it look very convenient in terms of highlighting the significance of the competition.

10 minutes ago, Marten said:

Yep, I'd love for them both to merge. Watching the draw at lunchtime I found it a shame that Lochee United isn't in there. Obviously I realise that we are north of "the boundary", but I'd love to see a national non-league cup competition, which would be largely these teams plus the North & Tayside juniors (I'd expect the remaining ERJFA South teams to eventually join the EOS and thus the SCC anyway).

If the SJC & SCC merge, it's only the HFL and NCL missing for it to be a fully national non-league competition. They might not be interested, but that's no reason to not set up such a cup. Just invite them anyway and then it's up to them to say yes or no.

The visionary that is Isobel Goudie touted this months ago on here.

4 hours ago, Marten said:

Annbank United v Maybole or Vale of Leven
Newton Stewart v Yoker Athletic
Linlithgow Rose v Kello Rovers
Largs Thistle v Dalbeattie Star
Lochmaben v Kirkcaldy & Dysart
Lugar Boswell Thistle v Lochar Thistle
Cambuslang Rangers v Girvan
Lesmahagow v Port Glasgow
Lanark United v Ashfield
Bellshill Athletic v Cumbernauld United
St. Cuthbert's Wanderers v Tynecastle
Whitehill Welfare v Carluke or Kilbirnie
Beith v Clydebank
Heriot-Watt University v Dunbar or Drumchapel
Leith Athletic v Tweedmouth Rangers

I don't see Ardeer v Pollok/Tranent anywhere in your draw posts!

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Tie of the round but doesn't alter the irrelevance of the cup. 

And the SJC has been a hollow carcass for a few seasons. This has a far stronger lists of enrants by a significant margin seeing as NR and ER bring nothing to the table outwith a few clubs.

Your Junior Cup is dead.

1 minute ago, archieb said:

I don't see Ardeer v Pollok/Tranent anywhere in your draw posts!

The guy has posted games involving over 100 teams, no need to be wide about one missing. The game still going ahead even if Marten missed it amongst all the good work he did collating the games quickly.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

The guy has posted games involving over 100 teams, no need to be wide about one missing. The game still going ahead even if Marten missed it amongst all the good work he did collating the games quickly.

Fuxache, I just pointed out it was missing to let the guy know so he can add it on as people may refer to his posts for info.

I didn't red dot him like you did me you nasty little man!

25 minutes ago, Marten said:

I still think it needs the SFA to step in and help financially support something like that.

The SJC model seemed to have negatives for smaller clubs covering guarantees.

The SCC model of covering travel is probably being stretched a little now just by the scale of it. That's without adding another 60-80 odd clubs increasing the geographic footprint.

I still think it needs the SFA to step in and help financially support something like that.
The SJC model seemed to have negatives for smaller clubs covering guarantees.
The SCC model of covering travel is probably being stretched a little now just by the scale of it. That's without adding another 60-80 odd clubs increasing the geographic footprint.
I would agree that the best way to do that would be if the SFA step in. It could be like the FA Trophy down south. The final could even be at Hampden now the SFA own it.

8 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

And the SJC has been a hollow carcass for a few seasons. This has a far stronger lists of enrants by a significant margin seeing as NR and ER bring nothing to the table outwith a few clubs.

Your Junior Cup is dead.

At least the SJC provided a route to the SC. This brings nothing but a token cup competition sidebar interest to an impossibly packed league season. A league which provides progression previously lacking in the Juniors. Ergo, this cup is an irrelevance (as would the SJC have been latterly without entrance to the SC).

7 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Your Junior Cup is dead.

Just as pretending the SCC is worthless is offbase, so is this. If you are in a wee town or village in Ayrshire or West Lothian there have always been a lot of people who only really pay close attention to their local junior club when the SJC or a big local derby is involved and the rest of the time tend to mainly pay attention to one of the Old Firm or another SPFL club.

Good luck transferring that sort interest to the SCC any time soon when you first have to explain what it is because a lot of people are still largely unfamiliar with the Lowland League. Good luck getting 5000+ out for the SCC final and live coverage on BBC Alba when it isn't nationally branded. It makes sense to merge the two together to keep that going rather than try to kill the SJC due to ongoing mania some people have over the grade concept.