South Region Challenge Cup 2020-21

Let's get real here. 

The two bob soccer shop south challenge thingy cup in never going to get the whole town or village out or even the casual fan who appeared for big proper junior cup ties.  

Whoever is running this tin pot cup will surely realise this .

It is what it is and thats unfortunate just need to get on with it if by some miracle it can get anywhere close to being half finished. 

Edited by rncaa

6 hours ago, Burmah Oil said:

Ardeer Thistle / Dalkeith Thistle vs Dalry Thistle / Larkhall Thistle
Berwick Rangers / Cambuslang Rangers vs Kilsyth Rangers / Kilwinning Rangers
Blantyre Vics / Saltcoat Vics vs Irvine Vics / Whitletts Vics
Bonnyton / Bonnyrigg Rose vs Linlithgow Rose / Crossgates Primrose
BSC Glasgow / Port Glasgow vs Glasgow Perthshire / Glasgow University
Craigroyston / Craigmark Burntonians vs Burntisland / Ashfield
Bellshill / Maryhill vs Petershill / Whitehill
Hill of Beath / Hillfield Swifts vs Jeanfield Swifts
Newton Stewart / Newtongrange vs Thornton / Thorniewood
East Kilbride / East Kilbride Thistle vs Eyemouth / Tweedmouth
Edinburgh South vs Edinburgh United / Edinburgh University
Johnstone Burgh vs Newburgh / Musselburgh
Lochar / Lochmaben v Lochore
Lochgelly Albert vs Royal Albert / Hawick Royal Albert
Mid Annandale / Upper Annandale v Nithsdale
Glenafton / Glenrothes vs Rutherglen Glencairn / Gartcairn
St Anthony / St Cadoc vs St Cuthbert / St Rochs
Ladeside / Annbank v Clydebank / Vale of Clyde
Rossvale / Vale of Leven vs Vale of Leithen / Leith
Blackburn / Broxburn v Coldstream / Hurlford
Abbey Vale / Drumchapel v Kirkintilloch / Muirkirk

Scottish football. No always the most original at team names.

Ardrossan Winton Rovers / Lugar Boswall Thistle vs Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale / Shotts Bon Accord
Kirkcaldy and Dysart vs Wigtown and Bladnoch

Scottish football. No always the shortest at teams names neither.

All that for that.

Let's get real here. 
The two bob soccer shop south challenge thingy cup in never going to get the whole town or village out or even the casual fan who appeared for big proper junior cup ties.  
It is what it is and thats unfortunate just need to get on with it if by some miracle it can get anywhere close to being half finished. 

The whole town?

Our last Scottish cup game had around 300/400 meadow fans there. Would’ve been great if 40,000 wanted in. Junior cup is finished

Am really looking forward to this cup. Gates will reflect the standard of the opposition, same as they always did in the Junior Cup.  I expect Bonnyton will be licking their lips with a clash against Bo'ness, and then probably Linlithgow Rose if they pull off a major shock against Bo'ness. Throw in the ex League clubs, the decent Lowland League sides like Spartans and there's genuine potential.

23 minutes ago, TFW said:

Am really looking forward to this cup. Gates will reflect the standard of the opposition, same as they always did in the Junior Cup.  I expect Bonnyton will be licking their lips with a clash against Bo'ness, and then probably Linlithgow Rose if they pull off a major shock against Bo'ness. Throw in the ex League clubs, the decent Lowland League sides like Spartans and there's genuine potential.

You do realise that the post with the ties is made up? The draw is on Saturday I think.

9 hours ago, rncaa said:

Let's get real here. 

It is what it is and that's unfortunate just need to get on with it if by some miracle it can get anywhere close to being half finished. 

Sadly I have to agree. I hope I'm wrong in a few years time and when it gets to the later stages. For some reason I thought the draw was at noon today but didn't feel any excitement. Unlike waiting for the Junior Cup draws to be made in previous years. I just know that someone is going to ask when the ties get played "Is this cup instead of the Jackie Scarlett Cup?"

4 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Backed in to a corner with this 38 game baloney.

We'll see how it goes. The Lowland League will be working to similar constraints due to a tighter timeline. They'll likely be finishing April 17th 2021. They've got to complete 32 games over 34 match days in that time. The WoS Premier & EoS Premier will at least finish sometime in May.

4 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

We'll see how it goes. The Lowland League will be working to similar constraints due to a tighter timeline. They'll likely be finishing April 17th 2021. They've got to complete 32 games over 34 match days in that time. The WoS Premier & EoS Premier will at least finish sometime in May.

If you know how it worked in the old Junior set up you’ll know that’s pie in the sky, unless all the pitches have had new drainage put in and/or the Scottish weather suddenly changes. 38 league games and cup ties is impossible. Check today’s date please.

12 minutes ago, Burmah Oil said:

No surprise Talbot fans on here are talking down the cup. With all the Lowland League teams and top East teams they will be scared about no dominating it like the old Junior Cup recently. Look at the Scottish Cup. Ok they pumped Kelty last year but Dundonald deserved to beat them in in the prelims then lost the replay and I can mind them struggling against Edinburgh City before went up and Cumbernauld and BSC. No big fish in west junior pond for Talbot now. Have to do their talking on the pitch and not just scud some dross.

the bitterness is ripping out of this post.  the more things change the more they stay the same. 

No surprise Talbot fans on here are talking down the cup. With all the Lowland League teams and top East teams they will be scared about no dominating it like the old Junior Cup recently. Look at the Scottish Cup. Ok they pumped Kelty last year but Dundonald deserved to beat them in in the prelims then lost the replay and I can mind them struggling against Edinburgh City before went up and Cumbernauld and BSC. No big fish in west junior pond for Talbot now. Have to do their talking on the pitch and not just scud some dross.
Lol thats the funniest post I read for a while but I am sure talbot have always did the talking on the pitch anyway unless i have missed something and dont matter what cup we are in we will try and win it if we get beat we get beat just makes us more determined to do better next time

54 minutes ago, Burmah Oil said:

You're right, we really did pump Kelty last year, and Cove, and were desperately unlucky not to beat Arbroath at Beechwood. You take the rough with the smooth though and we have had some less than great days in said competition, it really doesn't matter in the long run. We are relatively successful in it, and I hope we continue to be so. There's hunnerds of clubs at our level who would give their right arms for the exposure we've had in the Scottish Cup.

The bulk of the best non-league teams competed in the Junior Cup in the ten season period from 2008/09 to 2017/18 = 6 Wins and 2 Finals. That wasn't easy.

They would on to win it in 2018-19 and potentially could win 2019-20.

The South Challenge Cup may well be harder to be as dominate in, but that's not purely down to the strengths of the opponents. The lack of replays and two legged semi-finals will play a part in that.

14 minutes ago, Burmah Oil said:

Not bitter Shanner but after the East teams all left and went to the East of Scotland League, the Junior Cup has looked easy for Talbot. Talbot were flying flags for their grade in the Scottish Cup, but now they are in a pyramid system like all the rest and not a special case. Talbot fans had talked down about the Lowland and East of Scotland, saying they were bad quality, but in the Scottish the results were not always very good for them until they thumped Kelty. If somebody has a list of Talbots scores in the Junior Cup the last two or three years it will be a lot more easy wins than vs Lowland and East in the Scottish over the years.

Now this cup has got all the Lowland and top East and West teams in. Must be stronger than even the old Junior Cup was. Talbot fans should be wanting to put on a big show in it, walk the walk vs Lowland and East, not jus talk the talk about them being easy to beat. But some Talbot fans hear act like it is not important. Maybe they think it wont be so easy.

You're all over the shop here. You're willing to go on about the Edinburgh match years ago but not a mention of 2 wins against Cove or beating Ayr.  I'm not really sure what your point is apart from being in a long term huff because a Talbot fan hurt your feelings once upon a time. 

48 minutes ago, Burmah Oil said:

Sorry Shanner.. I was meanin that some Talbot fans on this web site and over at the Talbot fan site did not think much about the Lowland League and the East of Scotland League teams in the quality side until now. But over the years Talbot had not always had it easy vs those teams in the Scottish. And last two or three years the Junior Cup got easier for Talbot with only other West teams, Lochee, BOD. So this cup should be a big cup for Talbot. And chance to prove top dog status on the park. But some are saying shove it, calling it tin pot, two bob. Ok a new cup is a new cup. But maybe those Talbot fans are worried Lowland and East of Scotland teams wont turn out be quite so easy as they used to say. They should be well up for it.

fair enough, there has definitely been the sort of comment you're talking about, no debate there. I think it will be quality personally. 

A great mix of familiar adversaries and some new scalps, obviously the enthusiasm is tempered by the covid stuff and the possibility that the season will be a bit of a non-starter/ non-finisher.