West Development U20 League / Teams

5 hours ago, Newmainac1875 said:

Hi all,

First post please be nice lol.

Is there any official word from governing bodies in regards to qualification and cut off dates/times to apply for WOS development league?

Thanks

Corrected: It's June the 15th
There's a few teams from the WOS who have confirmed that they are starting a U20s team and the Lowland development League have stated that if they get enough interest then they may start a WOS division

Clydebank
Bellshill
Dunipace have all applied

I know Pollok, Kilwinning and Rossvale are looking into it for this coming year but nothing concrete yet

Is there any word on any more teams having a development U20 team running for season 20/21 ?

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

32 minutes ago, Newmainac1875 said:

Hi all,

First post please be nice lol.

Is there any official word from governing bodies in regards to qualification and cut off dates/times to apply for WOS development league?

Thanks

Have a read of the thread first... :)

Rules are also here: http://slfl.co.uk/legal/slfl-rules-regulations/

and from under the rules tab on the site, don't know if it's just the same text as the PDFs above: http://slfl.co.uk/rules/development-league-rules/

On 14/04/2020 at 22:43, BMan said:

You don't need to set up a league

The Lowland U20 Development League are open to applications now, closing date 15th June.  WoS league clubs will be eligible to enter this.

This season it was run with two seeded Conferences of 14/15 clubs in each, Bonnyton, BSC, Upper Annandale, Mid Annadale, Caley Braves & Cumbernauld Colts are already members so chances are it would go to regional Conferences next season with one being western biased.

Anyone interested should contact the LL.

On 15/04/2020 at 09:10, BMan said:

developmentleague@slfl.co.uk   Gary McClelland is the Secretary of the league.

Edited by Ginaro

We’ve been looking at this for about 2 years now and had been doing a lot of preparation once the rumours of a west league were becoming apparent. 

The one thing I’ve found with all the teams in the development league is a willingness to share information and support in anyway possible. Seem like genuine progressive people wanting to improve youth football at the top end.

If anyone wants any info on funding, applying, opportunities etc give me a message happy to help. I think this could be the best thing to happen to youth football in a long time. 

Will be interesting to see the impact on SYFA football in the West. The East had pretty much lost its 21s by the time the EoS exodus took place, but there have been instances of SYFA 17s/19s linking to the new U20 sides.

Biggest positive (IMO) is that Development football is a Friday and 20s sides are registered by the main club so are available on a Saturday, unlike present 21s.

Bit of red tape for clubs NOT going down this route is the lack of ability to register players on delayed transfers from the SYFA as  (I am reliably informed I hope) no agreement for such exists between SYFA and SFA. I think Highland gets round this by doing it in reverse - signing the player themselves and then loaning to the SYFA side. The alternative to that is to continually release and re-sign a player from SYA to 'parent' club and back again.

Edited by cmontheloknow

1 hour ago, Newmainac1875 said:

Would a development player need to be registered to the same club? For example could a player be registered for fc sporting and play for a separate development team?

They need to be registered with the senior team. 

Think of the U20 side as a reserve side for your Senior team.   So the club will actually have 35-45 signed players and they can all play for the Senior team, and those who qualify age wise can also play for the U20 team. A player under 20 can play Friday night for the U20's and Saturday for the Seniors if you want.

Overage players in your squad can play 6 times for the U20's in league games.

There is an issue at the moment with playing SYFA registered players as trialists in the U20 league (the LL don't have a problem with it, but it seems the SYFA do) which the Lowland League will hopefully clarify before next season.

4 hours ago, Burnieman said:

They need to be registered with the senior team. 

Think of the U20 side as a reserve side for your Senior team.   So the club will actually have 35-45 signed players and they can all play for the Senior team, and those who qualify age wise can also play for the U20 team. A player under 20 can play Friday night for the U20's and Saturday for the Seniors if you want.

Overage players in your squad can play 6 times for the U20's in league games.

There is an issue at the moment with playing SYFA registered players as trialists in the U20 league (the LL don't have a problem with it, but it seems the SYFA do) which the Lowland League will hopefully clarify before next season.

As in overage players from the first team, you can only play 2 at a time during league matches, unsure about cup games.
The lowland league allows you to play younger lads, U19s, U17, 16 15 as trialists and I'm sure its as many as 12 times but no cup games.

The syfa need to get it sorted that grassroots players can also play for development squads as this is vital experience in their development that will give them the apatite to stay in football

7 hours ago, BTID said:

We’ve been looking at this for about 2 years now and had been doing a lot of preparation once the rumours of a west league were becoming apparent. 

The one thing I’ve found with all the teams in the development league is a willingness to share information and support in anyway possible. Seem like genuine progressive people wanting to improve youth football at the top end.

If anyone wants any info on funding, applying, opportunities etc give me a message happy to help. I think this could be the best thing to happen to youth football in a long time. 

To be honest when we were at Pollok U19s a few years back we applied for the development league and were told that as the first team was a junior team and not part of the pyramid then it cannot happen.  Last year we took over Clydebank U19s and was informed it would be the same situation.  Its a situation that many more people had been looking for this to happen and now it has, Clydebank were one of the first in the West and I think most in the West know it can only get better once joining the development league but its important that we all make sure the structure is in place for the younger teams coming up and that the academy are working with the coaches to make sure they all know what vision is being adopted about youth development and pathway

1 minute ago, cmontheloknow said:

Seeing Shettleston Juniors 21s saying on Facebook they're done with the Juveniles as Town are looking at the U20s.

No ones really surprised,.  There will hopefully be a U21 league to continue as at the end of the day, its about keeping lads in football

13 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Will be interesting to see the impact on SYFA football in the West. The East had pretty much lost its 21s by the time the EoS exodus took place, but there have been instances of SYFA 17s/19s linking to the new U20 sides.

Biggest positive (IMO) is that Development football is a Friday and 20s sides are registered by the main club so are available on a Saturday, unlike present 21s.

Bit of red tape for clubs NOT going down this route is the lack of ability to register players on delayed transfers from the SYFA as  (I am reliably informed I hope) no agreement for such exists between SYFA and SFA. I think Highland gets round this by doing it in reverse - signing the player themselves and then loaning to the SYFA side. The alternative to that is to continually release and re-sign a player from SYA to 'parent' club and back again.

See to be honest, the lack of vision from the governing bodies is why this end of youth football is such a disaster at the moment. 19s had a horrendous year, almost unprecedented loses of clubs. 40% folding from the top tier of central and paisley. 

We have too many young teams coming through with not enough players committed to playing at this age. Run by parents/volunteers because money senior clubs are investing is vanishing. Simply not prepared for that level. We had to play in a league where you could be fri night, sat morning (some kick offs I seen where 9.15am) and Sunday afternoon. Fixtures less than 5-7 days in advance most weeks. How could we promote that?

Thankfully this new league seems to be well run and have a vision, it will *save* youth football at this level not kill it. Where it leaves the syfa at 19s and 21s not sure, will just continue to see a demise. Shettleston the first club to fall from 21s and they won’t be the last.

The syfa ruling on trialists playing development football sums it up for me. This is their mission statement on their website:

Leading the way and modernising our approach to guarantee the continued growth of grassroots football
Encouraging all boys and girls throughout Scotland to play organised football and enabling every child to develop and flourish as a player.

Enabling development unless it’s within their organisation and refusal to work with other associations. Self interest in the organisation and no vision to help ambitious young players progress. What can they sanction - the player? Ban them? Farcical. I would like to use our 17s when I can which would be beneficial for their teams growth. 

For me the under 20s is part of your adult set up. That is certainly how we treat our 20s. They are not part of our youth set up, the youth set up ends at under 17s.

In doing this and ensuring they train next to us once per week it enables us to get players involved from the get go. The 20s are able to see how the first team work and it helps prepare them for when they will step up.

The 20s is fantastic, no need for dual contracts or delayed transfer, you have the ability to use and extra 20 players in the first team and also have a place within the club that an injured first team player can get some minutes prior to a return.

If any club can facilitate it, they should. Its a really good league and will only get better.

5 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Paisley and johnstone

Central Scotland 

Lanarkshire development league

are the main ones

I see. Just looking for other WOS clubs who might join.

Seems like you've got Rob Roy, Blantyre, Rossvale, St Cadoc's, and Bo'ness (plus Kilsyth, Cambuslang, Drumchapel who all folded) in the Central league.

Wishaw, Larkhall, and various EK teams in the Lanarkshire league.

Vale of Leven, Neilston, Renfrew, and Largs in the Paisley league.

On 24/04/2020 at 23:30, Ginaro said:

Seems like you've got Rob Roy, Blantyre, Rossvale, St Cadoc's, and Bo'ness (plus Kilsyth, Cambuslang, Drumchapel who all folded) in the Central league.

opps, forgot, think Kirky Roy Roy may apply

Kilsyth is a no, probably the worst junior team in the past that I know of with youth development, it was totally non existent, unless new blood has been put into their committee

St Cadocs is a strange one, their youth academy started a senior team out of the blue so its a big leap but they are all about the youth so they maybe adding a U20s team as well, hope so.
As stated, Cambuslang and Drumchapel U19s both folded this year so don't think they may have a team for U20s but a lot of these teams folded as the lads may not have seen any future in development with a first team so things might hopefully start to change
Blantyre will be a no for present but not sure of connection with the academy but academy play at excellent facilities and do want a pathway either way and as Drumchapel adding a senior team they may decide to start a U20s but that might be too early again but this is all surmising, nothing been made official but personally the development league looks as exciting as the full senior lowland leagues

19 hours ago, Ginaro said:

I think there’s two strands to this.

1. I personally don’t see a big push from the clubs themselves. We had nearly 20 years of the juniors and the lowland league done more to develop a pathway in about 20 minutes. Some clubs won’t even really want to be in this league never mind run a 20s. But in time I think many will see value in building a base up within the community. 

2.  Grassroots clubs could be the driver here. It’s a no brainer for the senior team to take on if it doesn’t cost them money. I know 19s and 21s clubs will be looking around and seeing an uncertain future. 21s is sat afternoon so cannot really be a fully effective pathway. Paisley 19s is sat afternoon. Not sure about lanarkshire. Central is a mess of days and still no clear vision as to how the situation solves itself. 

The current uncertainty may well be the reason some attach to a new wosl side. Once clubs start going for their licenses I can see the pitch issue resolving. Like I say as it stands Glasgow life would need to resolve its pricing structure or it would price out teams.

31 minutes ago, Newmainac1875 said:

Would a amateur player see the move to a senior team to play for development team as a step up from u17/u19 and U21s 

Bit confused  by  your meaning.
If a player signed for the senior team then he can only player 6 games for the development team but the first team would only allow him to play for the development team so that he would get him some game time, coming back from injury or match fitness.

A player in the development squad is usually  a step up from the youth  teams of U17s, U19s and U21s.
Don't get me wrong there are youth players in these teams who maybe good enough but might not be there due to luck or things not working out for him.

its really up to each players experience or receiving good advice what is best for him so I could not see what way any player in any situation would see the move to a senior team.

I don't think many teams will sign a youth player to play for the development team. If the senior team are signing any player then its usually for him to play for the first team of challenge for a place on the first team

Hope that helps