West Development U20 League / Teams

If the West can get 20+ teams that's brilliant, giving the kids a genuine pathway, where it wasn't possible at their youth club. So long as the youth clubs still run sides up to adult then great. All gone quiet on the negative side, obviously money hasn't changed hands or ex junior clubs stealing players  away etc. Just as I thought. How long before someone mentions a name change to celebrate the tie -up between clubs ?

On 27/05/2020 at 12:47, Craig the Hunter said:

Theres no barrier at the Vale Academy. The club are looking at the astro at the Argyll Park

As you say the facilities at Argyll are better.  But the Vale being the hotbed of football that it is,  pre covid, it was used solidly from 5pm till 9pm already on a Friday night by 2 sometimes 3 boys clubs at a time. 

Not to mention a not so old crooks 5 a side with some ex vale and Dumbarton players involved. 

Not sure how block bookings work with WDC they might prefer the money from 2 hours 3x 1/3 pitch bookings then one single 2 hour booking. 

In a follow up tweet they said they'd be looking to play games at Meadow Park where possible (though given how things are going that won't be until April/May next year) - is there a suitable floodlit pitch in Irvine?

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

In a follow up tweet they said they'd be looking to play games at Meadow Park where possible (though given how things are going that won't be until April/May next year) - is there a suitable floodlit pitch in Irvine?

Just across the road at the new sports centre but floodlights are planned at Meadow Park in the next couple years 

LATEST UPDATE 2/0620

Have confirmed Officially that they have or are applying or operated an Under 20s team in season 19/20.
Nothing is guaranteed until after June the 15th deadline for applications.
The only real problem teams  will have is having the right criteria for their home parks

Dunipace have an U20s confirmed but admittedly unsure at the moment for WOS or EOS
Cumbernauld Colts               (Participated in the U20 development league 2019/20)
Braves / Edusport                  (Participated in the U20 development league 2019/20)
BSC                                           (Participated in the U20 development league 2019/20)    
Bonnyton Thistle                   
(Participated in the U20 development league 2019/20)
Upper Annandale                    (Participated in the U20 development league 2019/20)
Mid Annandale                       (Participated in the U20 development league 2019/20)

Bellshill                                     New to U20s  Development  CONFIRMED
Clydebank                                New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED
Shettleston                              New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/shettleston20s/status/1265313125798207493)

Troon FC                                   New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  ( twitter.com/TroonFCYA/status/1257986731405705218 )
Vale of Leven                           New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED 
Rossvale                                   New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/RossvaleFCU20s/status/1264648795725484034)
East Kilbride FC                       New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/EKFC20s/status/1263185047915507715)
Carluke Rovers FC                   New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED
Darvel FC                                 New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED 
( twitter.com/darvelfc/status/1263522036506406915/photo/1 )
St Cadocs YC                            New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (mobile.twitter.com/StCadocsYC/status/1263924087228960771 )
Whitletts Victoria Fc              New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/wvfc_official/status/1265697863281016835)
Maryhill FC                              New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/Maryhill_FC/status/1265317242054627329)
St Rochs FC                              New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED   (twitter.com/StRochsJuniors/status/1264645421667942402)
Johnstone Burgh Fc           New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/johnstone_burgh/status/1264267990243123201)
Newmains United Fc           New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/NewmainsUtdFC/status/1265736408813142017)
Gartcairn FC                             New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/GartcairnFA/status/1263735383931699200 )
Arthurlie FC                             New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/barrheadyouthfc/status/1265360661225312257 )
Irvine Meadow FC                  New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/Medda1897/status/1267779318710784006 )
Kirkintilloch Rob Roy FC
        New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/robroy1878/status/1268136921726947328 )
Neilston FC                               New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/NeilstonFC/status/1268500332482609157 )
Yoker Athletic
FC                     New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/YokerAthleticFC/status/1268887449754832896 )

POSSIBLY; Teams who have applied are listed above. So at this moment we have 26 teams, (27 if counting Dunipace) from the West side and with an impressive, excellent East side of over 29 teams, the Lowland U20s Development League looks as if is growing from strength to strength)

The list below is of teams who have expressed an interest but nothing has bene made official

Kilwinning
Pollok                                                (heard they have their U20 management in place and just one obstacle to get over and they will apply)
Largs Thistle                                  (informed unofficially that they will be applying to join the U20 league)

Cumbernauld, Auchinleck, Rutherglen Glencairn and Cumnock are looking into it but think it looks like 21/22 when they are ready
Beith definitely next year 21/22

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

http://www.youthfootballscotland.co.uk/west-region/item/21202-owen-mccarrey.html

Beith Manager Hails New Development League

Written by  Owen McCarrey

“There is no better time for a youth player to come in and shine,” according to Beith Juniors gaffer Bryan Young, as he spoke to YFS about the new Under-20s Development League for the west of Scotland.

The new format will come into force next season, following the approval of plans for a new West of Scotland Football League (WoSFL) that will merge into the SPFL pyramid system. 

The WoSFL will join the sixth-tier, alongside the existing East of Scotland Football League and South of Scotland Football League. The establishing of the league is the dawn of a new era for football in the west of Scotland and opens the door to more opportunities for youth players.

It was announced on the April 14 that 67 of the 68 clubs who applied to be part of the WoSFL had been reviewed and accepted. 

63 of these clubs had been the members of the West Region Junior Football Association (WRJFA) and after several months of voting and discussions between the clubs they felt that joining the SPFL at the sixth-tier was the best way forward for all clubs at junior level.

“For Beith as a club, there was a lot of thought put in to it to be honest with you,” Bryan said, speaking on the decision from the Juniors side to join the SPFL set-up.

“For me personally coming into the role such a short time ago and being my first job, it was quite exciting and quite frustrating at the same time because there is so many unknowns at the moment, but if I was to answer it I think it’s a real positive for Scottish football as a whole.”

Previously, junior football has been the starting point for many younger players’ careers and has given them the experience that is needed of playing in a first team consistently. It was also a platform for younger players to be scouted and be picked-up by professional clubs. 

Bryan agreed, adding: “I think this new u20s league is very exciting, if it’s done the way it should be done. With the whole Covid-19 situation, money is going to be tight for these clubs, there is no better time for a youth player to come and shine.”

The creation of the Development League has seen youth teams begin to affiliate with new WoSFL members and create development teams to allow younger players a new pathway to the first team. 

Auchinleck Talbot, a team who have dominated junior football for many years, winning countless trophies, have recently affiliated with Crosshouse 2004s to create an U17s side. 

A statement on the ‘ATFC Youth Academy’ Facebook page said: “We are delighted to announce that we will have a new U17s team in the academy. Crosshouse 2004s have agreed to move to play under our banner as Auchinleck Talbot u17’s. This is a great addition to the academy as we look to strengthen the pathway towards the new West Development League & hopefully to the first team”.

Bryan, only entering his second season as The Cabes’ manager, also believes in giving youth a chance: “The best advice I could give any young player is, just because someone tells you you’re not good enough that doesn’t mean you aren’t.”

The gaffer played almost his full career in junior football, spending 12 seasons at Auchinleck Talbot. He won five Scottish Junior Cups in that time, making him one of the most decorated players in Junior football. 

Having previously coached Johnstone Burgh under-21s and Johnstone Burgh 09s, he still coaches Pollok 09’s as well as managing Beith.

“People told me I was too small, but you need to overcome it and adapt your game. At Auchinleck I done my first six months grinding it out, being on the bench to try and prove myself, it was really difficult. 

“Self-belief is one of my main messages. It doesn’t matter what people say, if you don’t believe in yourself no one else will.”

1 hour ago, Dev said:

http://www.youthfootballscotland.co.uk/west-region/item/21202-owen-mccarrey.html

Beith Manager Hails New Development League

Written by  Owen McCarrey

“There is no better time for a youth player to come in and shine,” according to Beith Juniors gaffer Bryan Young, as he spoke to YFS about the new Under-20s Development League for the west of Scotland.

The new format will come into force next season, following the approval of plans for a new West of Scotland Football League (WoSFL) that will merge into the SPFL pyramid system. 

The WoSFL will join the sixth-tier, alongside the existing East of Scotland Football League and South of Scotland Football League. The establishing of the league is the dawn of a new era for football in the west of Scotland and opens the door to more opportunities for youth players.

It was announced on the April 14 that 67 of the 68 clubs who applied to be part of the WoSFL had been reviewed and accepted. 

63 of these clubs had been the members of the West Region Junior Football Association (WRJFA) and after several months of voting and discussions between the clubs they felt that joining the SPFL at the sixth-tier was the best way forward for all clubs at junior level.

“For Beith as a club, there was a lot of thought put in to it to be honest with you,” Bryan said, speaking on the decision from the Juniors side to join the SPFL set-up.

“For me personally coming into the role such a short time ago and being my first job, it was quite exciting and quite frustrating at the same time because there is so many unknowns at the moment, but if I was to answer it I think it’s a real positive for Scottish football as a whole.”

Previously, junior football has been the starting point for many younger players’ careers and has given them the experience that is needed of playing in a first team consistently. It was also a platform for younger players to be scouted and be picked-up by professional clubs. 

Bryan agreed, adding: “I think this new u20s league is very exciting, if it’s done the way it should be done. With the whole Covid-19 situation, money is going to be tight for these clubs, there is no better time for a youth player to come and shine.”

The creation of the Development League has seen youth teams begin to affiliate with new WoSFL members and create development teams to allow younger players a new pathway to the first team. 

Auchinleck Talbot, a team who have dominated junior football for many years, winning countless trophies, have recently affiliated with Crosshouse 2004s to create an U17s side. 

A statement on the ‘ATFC Youth Academy’ Facebook page said: “We are delighted to announce that we will have a new U17s team in the academy. Crosshouse 2004s have agreed to move to play under our banner as Auchinleck Talbot u17’s. This is a great addition to the academy as we look to strengthen the pathway towards the new West Development League & hopefully to the first team”.

Bryan, only entering his second season as The Cabes’ manager, also believes in giving youth a chance: “The best advice I could give any young player is, just because someone tells you you’re not good enough that doesn’t mean you aren’t.”

The gaffer played almost his full career in junior football, spending 12 seasons at Auchinleck Talbot. He won five Scottish Junior Cups in that time, making him one of the most decorated players in Junior football. 

Having previously coached Johnstone Burgh under-21s and Johnstone Burgh 09s, he still coaches Pollok 09’s as well as managing Beith.

“People told me I was too small, but you need to overcome it and adapt your game. At Auchinleck I done my first six months grinding it out, being on the bench to try and prove myself, it was really difficult. 

“Self-belief is one of my main messages. It doesn’t matter what people say, if you don’t believe in yourself no one else will.”

So much going on with the 20’s league and they write an article about it with the manager of a club that doesn’t have a 20’s team and reference another club that doesn’t either but have co-opted a boys club team from a younger age group... pointless story 🤷‍♂️

So much going on with the 20’s league and they write an article about it with the manager of a club that doesn’t have a 20’s team and reference another club that doesn’t either but have co-opted a boys club team from a younger age group... pointless story 🤷‍♂️

The person that wrote it is a Beith fan and asked the manager for his opinion and view. With the club looking to put a team in from 21/22.

From the EoS and already flagged up on the Lowland thread but yet another for the Lowland Under 20's Development League. With the numbers of new teams maybe heading towards four divisions or conferences whenever next season starts?

Really starting to take off now, just hope that the fans can get behind all the clubs due to the costs involved in running the new 20's league. Whatever the set up, be good to see in say 5 years time that the development side is firmly set in the non league game,with good numbers of players coming through. 

3 hours ago, Dev said:

From the EoS and already flagged up on the Lowland thread but yet another for the Lowland Under 20's Development League. With the numbers of new teams maybe heading towards four divisions or conferences whenever next season starts?

4 would be good. The two West Conference Champions and two East Conference Champions play off for the WoS & EoS Championships. The winners then meet for an overall Lowland League crown.

It is likely to be next summer before Rutherglen Glencairn possibly enter a team into the Development League.

Our u21s are staying in the SYFA West of Scotland Premier League meantime, while we will also have teams in the SYFA Glasgow and District League at u19s, u16s and u15s.

The circumstances weren't quite right for us to enter a team in the Development League this year for various reasons, however it is certainly a concept we are very interested in. Hopefully a year from now we will be more than ready.

2 minutes ago, glensmad said:

It is likely to be next summer before Rutherglen Glencairn possibly enter a team into the Development League.

Our u21s are staying in the SYFA West of Scotland Premier League meantime, while we will also have teams in the SYFA Glasgow and District League at u19s, u16s and u15s.

The circumstances weren't quite right for us to enter a team in the Development League this year for various reasons, however it is certainly a concept we are very interested in. Hopefully a year from now we will be more than ready.

Is the Glasgow district running 19s for the first time? Wasn’t one last year. Central had 3 divisions last year but the whole top flight is decimated now sadly. Same as Paisley. 

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

4 would be good. The two West Conference Champions and two East Conference Champions play off for the WoS & EoS Championships. The winners then meet for an overall Lowland League crown.

Imagine it went that way, oufft, think a lot of people would want to get to watch a lot of those games, going to be an exciting season ahead in the development league once it starts

Is the Glasgow district running 19s for the first time? Wasn’t one last year. Central had 3 divisions last year but the whole top flight is decimated now sadly. Same as Paisley. 
I am told that the Glasgow & District are running u19s this coming season as well.

55 minutes ago, glensmad said:
10 hours ago, BTID said:

I am told that the Glasgow & District are running u19s this coming season as well.

You have the Paisley and Johnstone, the Central Scotland and the Lanarkshire League are the closest leagues to Glasgow
The Glasgow league will really be relying on teams who are currently in the leagues above when the league starts up.  The interesting thing is that all the junior teams now moving to the senior ranks then they will want to start a youth policy, well you might think so, and if they do then they will start to have academies or teams at U17s, U19s etc...so hopefully the youth football gets stronger.

The Central Scotland league has lost, Clydebank, Kirky Rob Roy, but those teams were probably leaving anyways as most of their players would not have been eligible for U19s so would be moving to the U21s, (unless they didn't want to go to that level). Dunipace  already had a U20s in the development league so Id expected the u19s to fill that slot.  Heard that the Central has quite a few U17s teams moving to it, so I think that league will be fine and the Paisley league and Lanarkshire is usually fine.

The development league is now looking so promising and exciting with over 31 teams in the East and Dundee etc.. and on the west nearing 30 teams as well so I can see an apatite from the younger youths wanting to develop through the years to get to the development teams and then the first teams.

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread