West Development U20 League / Teams

Shettleston now saying they are running a 20s 

14 hours ago, glensmad said:
14 hours ago, BTID said:
Always going to be a tricky one to manage a 21s and 20s I reckon, unless the 21s are disconnected from the first team being a Saturday afternoon.

That's what we're looking at just now. We have a long standing relationship with the SYFA West u21s, but we are very interested in the u20s Development League. It's how or when we do it that we need to decide. There's no immediate rush to decide, we have until 15th June if we want to join now, so we're weighing up all the options.

Yes clubs like yourself - the situation is a little more complicated, especially if your 21s roots have a strong history with the wos syfa. 

Do you have a squad able to take the step? Are the coaching staff in place? Can you get a fri night let (would the pitch cope?) Probably the 3 immediate questions needed in order to move this summer. 

It’s great that we’ve seen so many positive moves from clubs to integrate pathways with community teams. This can only be a good thing. 

5 hours ago, geo87 said:

Billy coming off as a bit of a rocket here.

Mick, you should be the spokesman instead of DL. It looks like there is some excellent long term development work going on at Darvel, and maybe isn’t getting the praise it deserves. DL is deflecting from the good work that’s going on at Darvel by his stupid and egotistic antagonising posts.

How he hasn’t been reigned in by now is beyond me, considering it seems to be a pretty professional approach to things behind the scenes

Can you explain what you mean by this or are you just one of those guys that throws mud then runs back in to the crowd?

Not bothered if you don't come back to me but as your one that's  having a wee dig, when I read what you are saying to Mick we have an expression that can describe you down here .... A Wee Sook 

Have a good day 

Regards,

Rocket Man 😁

Edited by Billy XBoswell

9 hours ago, Billy XBoswell said:

it will be interesting to see if Darvel enter an U20's team for 2020/21 & if so where the squad will come from, Glasgow area £££?

As far as I know the new affiliation with Galston Youth did not have any U12, 17, 19's this season, so no natural progression/pathway to U20's

One of their posters pointed out on here that some of their teams have to travel to Auchinleck etc. therefore I  cant see how this is going to get better if they are gong to introduce another 4 teams/squads to area.... just a thought as  not only for this area but others too. I have noticed this is past when SPL Clubs started their own Academies & bumped out local Boys Clubs from the schools that had new 3G pitches installed 

Interesting time ahead now that ex Juniors are interested in local Boys Clubs (And Girls teams)

Hi Billy

it will be interesting to see if Darvel enter an U20's team for 2020/21 & if so where the squad will come from, Glasgow area £££?
-- There are areas that are not populated well with a lot of youths but this should not diminish the fact that they are trying to start a development team or even working with a youth academy further away.  I haven't a clue why you would put the pound sign after Glasgow, I admit it threw me there.

As far as I know the new affiliation with Galston Youth did not have any U12, 17, 19's this season, so no natural progression/pathway to U20's
-- I've got to go with your better judgment Billy as I don't know how the youth academy is at each age group. Suppose all they have to do it get the right park, the right coaching staff and find an Under 19s team nearish who want to try their luck at a higher level

One of their posters pointed out on here that some of their teams have to travel to Auchinleck etc. therefore I  cant see how this is going to get better if they are gong to introduce another 4 teams/squads to area.... just a thought as  not only for this area but others too. I have noticed this is past when SPL Clubs started their own Academies & bumped out local Boys Clubs from the schools that had new 3G pitches installed 
-- Look at Upper Annandale, they are based at Moffat but play their home games at Benburbs ground as I'm sure the area around Mid Annandale is not populated with a lot of youths so suppose they have to try and get lads from somewhere.  Dalry for example, one of my teams, I cannot see how they would enter a development team as there's nothing much in the way of youths coming through, admit I could be wrong though. The bumped out schools thing, Billy that happens to lots of teams and its not just from SPFL teams, its other teams of people who have a connection or contact etc.. so I wouldn't blame them only.  The councils can take the blame as well.

Interesting time ahead now that ex Juniors are interested in local Boys Clubs (And Girls teams)

This has always been the case as in most junior teams were too busy to care about youth teams but now with them moving over and some doing a little research they can see how much benefit it can be to them, the community and the progression or youths development and personally I'm over the moon with more and more teams who show an interest in this.

There has already been quite a few of us interested in this while working at youth academies and seeing what happened over in the East when many teams just took a youth set up and included it their own system or just taking a youth team and turning telling them they can be their development team.  Lots of teams here, and academies have bene preparing for this or working with this in mind and are ready for the switch to the development leagues and hopefully this will just have the standard rise

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

3 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Hi Billy

-- There are areas that are not populated well with a lot of youths but this should into diminish the fact that they are trying to start a development team or even working with a youth academy further away.  I haven't a clue why you would put the pound sign after Glasgow, I admit it threw me there.

-- I've got to go with your better judgment Billy as I don't know how the youth academy is at each age group. Suppose all they have to do it get the right park, the right coaching staff and find an Under 19s team nearish who want to try their luck at a higher level

-- Look at Mid Annandale, they are based at Moffat but play their home games at Benburbs ground as I'm sure the area around Mid Annandale is not populated with a lot of youths so suppose they have to try and get lads from somewhere.  Dalry for example, one of my teams, I cannot see how they would enter a development team as there's nothing much in the way of youths coming through, admit I could be wrong though. The bumped out schools thing, Billy that happens to lots of teams and its not just from SPFL teams, its other teams of people who have a connection or contact etc.. so I wouldn't blame them only.  The councils can take the blame as well.

This has always been the case as in most junior teams were too busy to care about youth teams but now with them moving over and some doing a little research they can see how much benefit it can be to them, the community and the progression or youths development and personally I'm over the moon with more and more teams who show an interest in this.
There has already been quite a few of us interested in this while working at youth academies and seeing what happened over in the East when many teams just took a youth set upa nd included it their own system or just taking a youth team and turning telling them they can be their development team.  Lots of teams here, and academies have bene preparing for this or working with this in mind and are ready for the switch to the development leagues and hopefully this will just have the standard rise

you have made some interesting points & observations, in reply to your main question above:

It will be interesting to see if the new U20's squad will be made up of local lads or not

As the Senior Squad trains up in Glasgow area i think it will probably make sense for the team to predominantly come from that catchment area which means they will have to compete with local rival teams, hence £, unless of course these young yins only want to play for Mick & Darvel of course.  Another factor in my assumtion is that  the manger will probably want the U20's to train alongside senior squad plus he will probably have some 1st team players in the squad too I would imagine 

Also as mention on here, no facilities in Darvel or Galston that I know of short term that I am aware of plus one of the Darvel guys mentioned on here that his son has to travel to Auchinleck to train

1 hour ago, Billy XBoswell said:

you have made some interesting points & observations, in reply to your main question above:

It will be interesting to see if the new U20's squad will be made up of local lads or not

As the Senior Squad trains up in Glasgow area i think it will probably make sense for the team to predominantly come from that catchment area which means they will have to compete with local rival teams, hence £, unless of course these young yins only want to play for Mick & Darvel of course.  Another factor in my assumtion is that  the manger will probably want the U20's to train alongside senior squad plus he will probably have some 1st team players in the squad too I would imagine 

Also as mention on here, no facilities in Darvel or Galston that I know of short term that I am aware of plus one of the Darvel guys mentioned on here that his son has to travel to Auchinleck to train

Hey Billy
Forgot Darvel trained in Glasgow, there's many clubs who do this all over Scotland I suppose, teams like Darvel and Murikirk did so when I played doon in Ayrshire, well I'm positive they did, sorry if I'm wrong
You don't offer money for development players, why would anyone do that, a development squad and that would defeat the purpose, its about developing lads and producing them to reach the first team level. In the development league you will get coaches who are only interested in winning, some interested in development and some who will hopefully be good at both.

Yes you really want the development to train alongside the first team but my preference would be one night only
You only have first team player sin the development squad for a couple of reasons, for example, a player coming back from injury or a player needing match fitness.
The first team players can only play for the development squad on a league match, They cannot play in any cup ties unless they are birth age 2001 or younger.

its hard for any team in smaller areas to have training faculties or operate under certain criteria, if it means they have to play or train further afield then so be it

18 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Agreed there is no rush, and remember the u20s and u21s are two separate entities. The Under 21s come under the SYFA and the U20s comes under the SFA/Lowland League.
The U20s is run by the senior team and the U21s are either separately run or part of a youth academy.
If any Shettleston has a U20s and an Under 21s, or any team for that matter which has both then that would be fantastic as its keeping lads involved in football

This is what I do know now

Have Applied or ran an Under 20s team in season 19/20

Dunipace have an U20s confirmed but admittedly unsure at the moment for WOS or EOS
Cumbernauld Colts
Braves / Edusport
BSC
Bonnyton Thistle
Upper Annandale
Mid Annandale
Bellshill                                     New to U20s  Development  CONFIRMED
Clydebank                                New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED
Shettleston                              New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED

Troon FC                                   New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED
Vale of Leven                           New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED 
Rossvale                                   New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED 

POSSIBLY; Teams who have expressed an interest (two teams from the group below I know will be applying to the U20 development league so that would take it to 14 teams from the West side and with an impressive, excellent East side, the Lowland U20s Development League looks as if is growing from strength to strength)

Kilwinning
Pollok
East Kilbride
Kirkintilloch Rob Roy
Largs Thistle
Irvine Meadow

St Cadocs
Newmains United
Darvel
Neilston
Rutherglen Glencairn
Gartcairn
Whitletts Victoria

I'm now expecting at least 4 from the possible group above to apply to join the Lowland U20s Development league

Cumbernauld, Cumnock and Yoker are looking into it but think it looks like 21/22 when they are ready
Beith definitely next year 21/22

We can now add Whitletts Victoria to the list.
I was told they weren't interested a few weeks ago but received news that they intend to apply just got a small obstacle to get over and they're sorted

40 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Hey Billy
Forgot Darvel trained in Glasgow, there's many clubs who do this all over Scotland I suppose, teams like Darvel and Murikirk did so when I played doon in Ayrshire, well I'm positive they did, sorry if I'm wrong
You don't offer money for development players, why would anyone do that, a development squad and that would defeat the purpose, its about developing lads and producing them to reach the first team level. In the development league you will get coaches who are only interested in winning, some interested in development and some who will hopefully be good at both.

Yes you really want the development to train alongside the first team but my preference would be one night only
You only have first team player sin the development squad for a couple of reasons, for example, a player coming back from injury or a player needing match fitness.
The first team players can only play for the development squad on a league match, They cannot play in any cup ties unless they are birth age 2001 or younger.

its hard for any team in smaller areas to have training faculties or operate under certain criteria, if it means they have to play or train further afield then so be it

Totally agree with you on that point BUT ...

• Need to get a squad U19s & 20s for our Development/Pathway sorted quickly
  • We can't wait for another 2 to 3 years (Natural cycle)
  • Christ .... a lot of competition from other ex Junior teams, what do we have that they don't
  • Cash & promise of a shot at senior squad  ..... Lets just call it travelling expenses though

Of course I know that this wouldn't happen in the real world, would it?

No idea of the answer, but I'm guessing loads of youth players up to 16, are there gonna be enough for all the 19/20/21 teams in short term / or will some players be playing for two age groups - if that's allowed ?  Seen quite a few 3g pitches around Scotland so hopefully that's not a problem.

On 19/05/2020 at 19:09, Billy XBoswell said:

Totally agree with you on that point BUT ...

• Need to get a squad U19s & 20s for our Development/Pathway sorted quickly
  • We can't wait for another 2 to 3 years (Natural cycle)
  • Christ .... a lot of competition from other ex Junior teams, what do we have that they don't
  • Cash & promise of a shot at senior squad  ..... Lets just call it travelling expenses though

Of course I know that this wouldn't happen in the real world, would it?

Hey Billy
This is not meant to get at you so please do not take it that way. it seems you have a problem or difference of opinions with DL and not Darvel FC, unless I'm mistaken, and to be honest, he's had my comments as well when he's been out of hand but development football is about just that, developing players for the future, its not about buying youth players

Need to get a squad U19s & 20s for our Development/Pathway sorted quickly
That's the same that happened in the East, many teams joined the seniors from the juniors and wanted a youth team and got a local team as their development squad.    I'm not saying this is wrong as its giving a lads a quick pathway at a higher level but it definitely pays to be ready and develop lads through the years for the step up

We can't wait for another 2 to 3 years (Natural cycle)
There is no natural cycle if you do it right, it will be a constant flow of players coming through every year.  This is the problem with many teams and peoples views, a development squad isn't the same team for the whole year, If the current U19s becomes the new development team then there maybe a boys at the U17s or U16 who is naturally gifted or too good for that age so you would bring him up for the development squad for experience.

Christ .... a lot of competition from other ex Junior teams, what do we have that they don't
That's just normal developing, if your training is of a good standard, players being developed, the right promotion then people will hear about it and want to join

Cash & promise of a shot at senior squad  ..... Lets just call it travelling expenses though
What idiotic and yes I'll say idiotic team want to pay youth players to join their development team. You may as well hold onto the money and wait for a good first team player to come up and buy him.  The only reason we will be paying any of our lads is that we are all in agreement, first team management and committee and development management that some boys are too good so we would put them on a contract so no one can take them away from us without paying.  The development league is not about winning plastic cups, its about putting lads in a strong league of youth players and seeing and helping them develop into players whom will eventually be good enough for the first time or beyond.

3 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Hey Billy
This is not meant to get at you so please do not take it that way. it seems you have a problem or difference of opinions with DL and not Darvel and to be honest, he's had my comments as well when he's been out of hand but development football is about just that, developing players for the future, its not about buying youth players

Need to get a squad U19s & 20s for our Development/Pathway sorted quickly
That's the same that happened in the East, many teams joined the seniors from the juniors and wanted a youth team and got a local team as their development squad

We can't wait for another 2 to 3 years (Natural cycle)
There is no natural cycle if you do it right, it will be a constant flow of players coming through every year.  This is the problem with many teams and peoples views, a development squad isn't the same team for the whole year, If the current U19s becomes the new development team then there maybe a boys at the U17s or U16 who is naturally gifted or too good for that age so you would bring him up for the development squad for experience.

Christ .... a lot of competition from other ex Junior teams, what do we have that they don't
That's just normal developing, if your training is of a good standard, players being developed, the right promotion then people will hear about it and want to join

Cash & promise of a shot at senior squad  ..... Lets just call it travelling expenses though
What idiotic and yes I'll say idiotic team want to pay youth players to join their development team. You may as well hold onto the money and wait for a good first team player to come up and buy him.  The only reason we will be paying any of our lads is that we are all in agreement, first team management and committee and development management that some boys are too good so we would put them on a contract so no one can take them away from us without paying.  The development league is not about winning plastic cups, its about putting lads in a strong league of youth players and seeing and helping them develop into players whom will eventually be good enough for the first time or beyond.

With respect, we are in agreement on principles of what a Development Squad should be 

All I can say to you is watch this space as it is pretty evident when you see what others are saying on here that don't have a clue as this has been sprung on them ... I'm referring to ex Junior supporters & committee that have never been involved with youth set up but now want want be involved & all of a sudden "Flying The Flag" that they are doing it for the community 

Don't get me wrong, some have the right idea & have already invested time in creating a Pathway from Youth through to Ammies and should be applauded, however it is my belief that others are not so concerned about the long term ideology & only interested at U20's as this will in effect give them a Reserve Squad to play with 

You know what by my counting, I reckon we will nearly have 20 west region U20 teams.
if so and the lowland league decide to regionalize the league then we either gonna have a 20 team league or if we start late I can see two conferences of 10 teams each with the top 8 from each division going into a top division the following year

spelling

1 hour ago, Billy XBoswell said:

With respect, we are in agreement on principles of what a Development Squad should be 

All I can say to you is watch this space as it is pretty evident when you see what others are saying on here that don't have a clue as this has been sprung on them ... I'm referring to ex Junior supporters & committee that have never been involved with youth set up but now want want be involved & all of a sudden "Flying The Flag" that they are doing it for the community 

Don't get me wrong, some have the right idea & have already invested time in creating a Pathway from Youth through to Ammies and should be applauded, however it is my belief that others are not so concerned about the long term ideology & only interested at U20's as this will in effect give them a Reserve Squad to play with 

Yes I'm totally in agreement there but that's up to them and hopefully they learn early that that methodology in youth development wont work before they destroy youths chances of being developed properly.  If Darvel start a U20 team and join the Development league then I say, fantastic, it's up to them as a combined unit with the youth  academy n committee and Darvel Fc management and committee to get it right for the years to come, if they do then double fantastic , that's all I can say.

To add to this, Billy you are 100% correct that some don't know but that's to be expected, you have 63 junior teams leaving the juniors of which they have existed and only known and now they have moved to senior football which is a big step and with all the ins and outs to learn about senior football, some of them are putting/finding the time to add a U20 development team in which I say well done to everyone one of them going that far and hope it pays off for every team

spelling and adding last paraghraph

20 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Dalry for example, one of my teams, I cannot see how they would enter a development team as there's nothing much in the way of youths coming through, admit I could be wrong though.

I dont see why Dalry couldn't get an u20 team - Many of the boys that attend Dalry games on a Saturday are 18-20 and many of them are outstanding football players. I'm sure the interest is there. In my experience, once I hit a certain age there was no team in Dalry to play for - I'm sure a lot of boys feel the same and would love to play for their town. 

I also believe the full system in Dalry is being revamped for the future. I've heard that all of the current Dalry teams will be renamed to Dalry Thistle with a couple more being added for a direct pathway (boys and girls). Don't quote me on this tough - although it did come from one of the dads it could just be chatter. 

17 hours ago, Bakkali said:

I dont see why Dalry couldn't get an u20 team - Many of the boys that attend Dalry games on a Saturday are 18-20 and many of them are outstanding football players. I'm sure the interest is there. In my experience, once I hit a certain age there was no team in Dalry to play for - I'm sure a lot of boys feel the same and would love to play for their town. 

I also believe the full system in Dalry is being revamped for the future. I've heard that all of the current Dalry teams will be renamed to Dalry Thistle with a couple more being added for a direct pathway (boys and girls). Don't quote me on this tough - although it did come from one of the dads it could just be chatter. 

I think it was wrong the way I posted it.
Any team can start a development squad if they have too, just take  a local u19s team and make them the development team but its my fault I'm not meaning that way or other ways, what I meant by the post is that Dalry is a sparsely populated area and its hard to get a constant supply of youths for an academy structure and again I can be wrong.

All I mean is Pollok with over 80 teams, Rossvale with over 70 teams and Clydebank over 30 teams in their academy can quite easily have a development team ready to take the reigns. so its harder for Dalry, Lugar, Kello Rovers etc.. due to area populated.

Personally Id love every frigging team to supply a development team but that's just wishful thinking on my part

changed park to part lolool