West Development U20 League / Teams

53 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Cumnock withdrew from the league today. Conference F down to ten teams. The Ayrshire teams really seem to be struggling to keep their 20s afloat.

An absolute joke of a league! From 16 teams to 10 is ridiculous. Should be much better sanctions to stop this happening next season 

18 hours ago, Kenny*******Powers said:

An absolute joke of a league! From 16 teams to 10 is ridiculous. Should be much better sanctions to stop this happening next season 

It's not right that clubs that have hosted these withdrawing clubs have gone to the expense of hiring a park and paying for referee and then it all been for nothing as the result disappears completely from the record. Money down the drain. I'm sure I read Kilwinning were returning next season after withdrawing this season. A club should be out for two seasons minimum after a withdrawal. 

1 hour ago, Hawf time pie said:

Utter shambles... 2 season ban and double the fine to £500 

The worst ones are the clubs with younger age groups (U19 / U18 / U17) that don`t bring up the younger ones if struggling for players and just fold the team - it`s too easy

I'll play slight devil's advocate here because it can get quite complicated calling players up from the younger age groups because the SFA and the SYFA haven't sorted out the duel registration debacle yet. I don't think it's great that teams are folding more than halfway through a season, but it's not always as simple as just calling up the younger boys.

4 hours ago, Craig the Hunter said:

I'll play slight devil's advocate here because it can get quite complicated calling players up from the younger age groups because the SFA and the SYFA haven't sorted out the duel registration debacle yet. I don't think it's great that teams are folding more than halfway through a season, but it's not always as simple as just calling up the younger boys.

Younger players can play up for 12 league games as a trialist without signing or being released from their SYFA forms - so it is pretty easy. 

8 hours ago, Craig the Hunter said:

canadian duel GIF

10 hours ago, Hawf time pie said:

Utter shambles... 2 season ban and double the fine to £500 

The worst ones are the clubs with younger age groups (U19 / U18 / U17) that don`t bring up the younger ones if struggling for players and just fold the team - it`s too easy

No, the worst ones are the clubs who parachuted in a  boys club and renamed them.

Edited by Pyramid Watcher

I get what all the moaning is about, regarding teams folding etc... but there is no need.  You have to understand this was always going to happen as it’s all embryonic and will be for a few years until everyone learns from it as there are certainly ‘mistakes / decisions’ from all teams and first team/U20 team connection, from management, coaching, committees etc...some small, some major but hopefully it will reach a level where they all realise that everyone has to pull together to get it right.

Every first team and development U20s team interactions are run different from each teams, Some will get it right, some wont or have it run smoother than others.
The development league and committee are doing a sterling job and hopefully they will continue to improve and progress

As the First teams all moved to the new West Of Scotland league, it was a big move with new unprecedented changes and then the snowball effect of the new Development west league completely new to all and to a certain extent to some still new right now,  something none of them were ready for or understood the work/collaborations required.

The Lowland Development league put the Ayrshire teams into an Ayrshire league in the hope that it will be a success with the advantage of not much travelling to give them as much chance as possible, in regards to travel and lower costs and to be fair I personally think it was the best way at the time the way the West leagues were structured in their first year.  I believe the following year it would change, with conference leagues again but the Ayrshire teams will all be drawn into any conference.  There was too many teams who started an U20s team but just weren't ready, either the committee, some being dinosaurs, (some the same today), or a pals act or the way it was operating wasn't right and or other reasons which I'm not privy too.

We have to remember this is the development league so first and foremost it’s about developing the young local players in the hope that they may develop and progress to make the first team or beyond.  Right now there are a lot of things that need sorted in order for it to work.   I believe there are U20s teams more interested in winning but then next season there will be problems with a whole brand new team having to take their place.  I understand when a full team moves across to become a U20s team and its fine but factually I know of coaches who brought their team over and didn't bother with the current U20s and moved them on, which is wrong. 
What is the best way for the U20s teams ?. To have the same team full of the same aged players and then when they move on a new team joins or have a team made up of 3 different ages so when the new season, only a few players move on   

Whatever happens as long as the kids have a coach who is interested in their development and not all about the coaching staff/first team committee winning then eventually the development league and first teams will bear fruit.  The successful team even if they finish bottom of the league is a team who supply players to the first team and not by token gesture but deserved and these players then stake a claim for the squad.

There is no doubt I am an advocate for the U20s development league and think it will be successful in the future but there will be bumps along the way and if there is less hassle and effect on the young lads then we just have to preserve and watch them progress and importantly, enjoying their selves, developing while reaching their correct level of football.

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

With Covid and lots of clubs switching from the old Junior set-up to the WoS it's been a time of change which makes it hard to get things right from the start when any club joins the Under 20's. 

It's frustrating when clubs withdraw during the season but it is about helping the development of young players throughout the Lowland League area and lots of patience is needed in order to get this right. It will take a few seasons and even then some clubs will fail during the season and will reform in future seasons. It's just how it is. 

Despite Pollok's success this year, we have needed to call upon the 20s on occasion with the following all having made appearances from the bench:  Thomas Haggarty, Kamil Krol and Jack Grimshaw. Kieran Davis, Tiger Lawson, Keelan Braonan and Ross Shaw have also been on the bench.  We also have two first team regulars eligible for the 20s in Matty Grant and Jonny Lyon, while Jordan Moore played for both before moving on to Cumnock. Seems to be working at Lok at least. We are using our U19 SYFA side to pad out the numbers in the 20s when needed and have signed direct from it since the season started (Miguel Kamgna Jr for one).

Edited by cmontheloknow

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, nicotina said:

lok development team u20s  have folded

don't know the reason why although the manager mckenna has left

maybe someone better informed can explain

Very disappointed that this decision had to be made, very reluctantly when no other choice was feasible.

Very much hope the remaining players can be retained either as part of the senior squad or in the u-21s and a fresh start made next season with lessons learned.

17 hours ago, nicotina said:

lok development team u20s  have folded

don't know the reason why although the manager mckenna has left

maybe someone better informed can explain

One biggie is clear if you look at the line-ups this last few months.

54 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Pretty poor on a tweet where Pollok say ‘our team is folding’ and putting a squad of boys out the game for the rest of the season that they tell other clubs off for offering them a place to play. 

This isn't the school playground, you stick of charcoal. They're our registered players, it up to us to offer them a place to train and play (1st team squad, u21s). If you want any of them for your own team, offer a transfer fee.

Edited by archieb

2 minutes ago, archieb said:

This isn't the school playground, you doughnut. They're our registered players, it up to us to offer them a place to train and play (1st team squad, u21s). If you want any of them for your own team, offer a transfer fee.

Offers from coaches at several clubs and you’re asking for a transfer fee when you’ve folded their team?

Why fold the team in the first place with 6 games left to play?