West Development U20 League / Teams

1 hour ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Was there not mention of a couple of SPFL sides looking to enter teams? I heard a couple of names but they escape me right now.

Clyde were planning to enter the league but then abandoned the idea and the young players who have apparently moved over to the Easterhouse Football Academy. They in turn aren't in a senior league so couldn't enter the Development League. Maybe they will liaise with a senior club or even join the seniors (WoS) in order to get their players into the league? Just guesswork!

There's talk of Stirling Albion entering in the East to join East Fife - with Edinburgh City aiming to leave in order to join the EoS with a Reserves team.

It wouldn't be surprising if there's other SPFL clubs looking at the Development Leagues though as they are really taking off. Wonder if Queens Park will try this out as they are now full-time pros?

Edited by Dev

Clyde were planning to enter the league but then abandoned the idea and the young players who have apparently moved over to the Easterhouse Football Academy. They in turn aren't in a senior league so couldn't enter the Development League. Maybe they will liaise with a senior club or even join the seniors (WoS) in order to get their players into the league? Just guesswork!
There's talk of Stirling Albion entering in the East to join East Fife - with Edinburgh City aiming to leave in order to join the EoS with a Reserves team.
It wouldn't be surprising if there's other SPFL clubs looking at the Development Leagues though as they are really taking off. Wonder if Queens Park will try this out as they are now full-time pros?

I agree it makes sense with the leagues the way they are with teams across the west and east areas cutting down on travelling time and associated costs.

5 hours ago, Dev said:

Is there not an Easterhouse team that have applied to join the WoSFL.

EK Thistle FC on Twitter: "East Kilbride Thistle can confirm we have applied to join the proposed West of Scotland Development League. We have submitted a request to enter an Under-20s team to West of Scotland League structure. @OfficialWoSFL 1/2" / Twitter

zUdfvXg9_bigger.jpg

East Kilbride Thistle can confirm we have applied to join the proposed West of Scotland Development League. We have submitted a request to enter an Under-20s team to West of Scotland League structure. 1/2

Edited by Dev

Possible Additions for 2021/22:

Auchinleck Talbot
Cumbernauld United
East Kilbride Thistle
Gartcairn
Glasgow University
Glenafton Athletic
Hurlford United
Kilbirnie Ladeside
Kilbride Thistle (provis)
Petershill
Port Glasgow Juniors
Rutherglen Glencairn

Vale of Clyde      

Add:

Harmony Row (provis.)

3 hours ago, Dev said:

Possible Additions for 2021/22:

Auchinleck Talbot
Cumbernauld United
East Kilbride Thistle
Gartcairn
Glasgow University
Glenafton Athletic
Hurlford United
Kilbirnie Ladeside
Kilbride Thistle (provis)
Petershill
Port Glasgow Juniors
Rutherglen Glencairn

Vale of Clyde      

Add:

Harmony Row (provis.)

Yeah Auchinleck definitely, forgot to add them in
Cumbernauld united I don't expect so as there's enough movement going on over there, so too busy getting everything sorted.
Hurlford, nope cant see a U20s team from them and Kilbirnie Ladeside, I'd expect an naw as well
Petershill I'd expect a no as they have enough on their plate.
Rutherglen Glencairn possibly but they still  the way of thinking the U21s is the best option

Gartcairn, possibly, i can see then adding one but not heard anything.

Eventually over the years id expect all teams listed above and most senior teams in the WOSFL and EOSFL to see the benefit of a development team, so most will be a yes, just when, some next season, the season after, couple of years,  even 5 years but I do think it will happen

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

Cumbernauld united I don't expect so as there's enough movement going on over there, so too busy getting everything sorted.
Hurlford, nope cant see a U20s team from them and Kilbirnie Ladeside, I'd expect an naw as well
Rutherglen Glencairn possibly but they still  the way of thinking the U21s is the best option

Eventually over the years id expect all teams listed above and most senior teams in the WOSFL and EOSFL to see the benefit of a development team, so most will be a yes, just when, some next season, the season after, couple of years,  even 5 years but I do think it will happen

I would have liked to have seen Hurlford make a 20’s team last year because they would have been one of the best teams in the country.

Having watched Hurlford Boys Club 2001’s a few times over the last couple of years they were absolutely brilliant to watch. Won lots of trophies and made it to the Scottish Cup Final one year (unfortunately beat).

I wonder if any of their players will get a chance with them? (My opinion is yes).

13 hours ago, GB65 said:

I would have liked to have seen Hurlford make a 20’s team last year because they would have been one of the best teams in the country.

Having watched Hurlford Boys Club 2001’s a few times over the last couple of years they were absolutely brilliant to watch. Won lots of trophies and made it to the Scottish Cup Final one year (unfortunately beat).

I wonder if any of their players will get a chance with them? (My opinion is yes).

Most of them are playing with Bonnyton 

On 23/04/2021 at 18:27, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Do Talbot have an under 19 team at present ? 

18 hours ago, Sgc said:

Do Talbot have an under 19 team at present ? 

I haven't a clue, most ex junior teams had a connection with a U21 team but that's not really any use now.
I'm sure someone local cam inform us all of the local teams

Think most clubs will see the benefit of an academy type system where there are bundles of team at different age groups so it would be a continuous conveyer belt of youth coming through. Although some clubs don't need an academy as they will just buy players for their first team.   But a development team will usually consist  or should consist of 3 age groups, for example this season which is just finishing are lads aged 2001, 2002 and 2003  then next seasons the age groups are 2002, 2003 and 2004. The best way to run it is having a mixture as if you go with a team all the same age, then one year the whole team will disappear and there is nothing the following year. 

Seen  a lot of deals being done
Pollok have Pollok academy
Clydebank have Clydebank Academy
Rossvale have Rossvale Academy
Berwick Rangers did a deal with the biggest grassroots academy at the start of the season now they are together
Camelon have a Camelon Academy
Spartans are the same with their academy
Bsc, Cumbernauld Colts etc...  the list is long right now

The syfa have just decided that season 2021/2022 will be the last to contain u19 & u21 leagues. 

from 2022 u18 will be the top age. 
they have correctly seen that the u20 has completely killed off the u21 and almost destroyed the u19 in the east. 
same will now happen in the west so might as well embrace it. 
so next season. There will be u18s as well all feeding into various u20s teams next summer  

yes it’s a big change,  but really makes sense to give lads 2 years at development before the step into semi pro or ams  

exciting times

More great news.

Heard on the grapevine that if Harthill's application is successful to the WOSFL then they intend to add a U20 team into the development league for season 21/22 and a few of the new teams who have applied will be doing the same, so looks like the development league is growing again this season on both the East and the West sides