West Development U20 League / Teams

No point moaning the leagues have been drawn just get on with it there is a lot of good teams I am looking forward to it [emoji837][emoji835][emoji837][emoji835]

To be fair it’s a moan and discussion which is kind of the point of the forum [emoji6]

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I'm not sure personally, I thought it was going to be a 14,12, 12 but it must be down to location

I've just noticed Kirky Rob Roy are beside Rossvale in location as in area but bene told they play somewhere out in Easterhouse so conference A looks like teams in the east side of Glasgow and Lanarkshire and Mid Annandale, and B look's like west and central Glasgow teams including vale of level and C looks like all Ayrshire and the Arthurlie and Neilston I suppose near to the start of Ayrshire

There were undertones why this has happened at the meeting as they want to give the development league every opportunity to work, less travel, less over heads but after this coming season it will be expected to be all in.

I think all teams would love it to be mixed but for this season its about making it work

Its easily worked out why the leagues are in the structure that has been announced.
It's to give all the U20s teams help to save money and give every team an opportunity to flourish and develop in their first season
Most definitely Ayrshire teams would be best divided throughout the 3 conferences but the league decided to keep them together and the two nearest teams to Ayrshire, Arthurlie and Neilston.

Has anyone thought about Mid Annadale, they are based in Lockerbie and have 13 away days in either Glasgow or Lanarkshire and have we heard them complain, NO, why because they were in the league last year, did tons of travelling to the east and West and still want to continue because they know how good the league is and the benefits that come with it.

Again, I believe if successful for the u20s teams , in the West it will work in all in and not regionalised within the West region

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

34 minutes ago, Seasiders Youth said:

Yes there are concerns from other teams, my phone has been going all night!

Concern about what? You’ll have boys finishing work at 5 o’clock and will probably be delighted that the furthest they have to travel is Barrhead

Edited by Kenny*******Powers
No comment made

21 minutes ago, Kenny*******Powers said:

Concern about what? You’ll have boys finishing work at 5 o’clock and will probably be delighted that the furthest they have to travel is Barrhead

Our squad are gutted they’ve only 2 games in Glasgow or out of Ayrshire all season.

The point made about Annandale travelling and not complaining is arse for elbow and missing the point. Teams want to travel to test themselves against different teams and players. Ayrshire teams are playing teams they know and players they’ve played against for years. All the Ayrshire sides signed up expecting and committing to travelling. 

8 hours ago, Seasiders Youth said:

Our squad are gutted they’ve only 2 games in Glasgow or out of Ayrshire all season.

The point made about Annandale travelling and not complaining is arse for elbow and missing the point. Teams want to travel to test themselves against different teams and players. Ayrshire teams are playing teams they know and players they’ve played against for years. All the Ayrshire sides signed up expecting and committing to travelling. 

I get why you are upset and agree with you to a certain point
but your not getting it or choosing to ignore it.

The league have organized it to try and help teams save money and make it easy for travelling.
They said or implied that this was the intention for the first season in the West, everyone and their cat understand why this is.  

We are in total agreement in regards to what you have said about playing the same teams, but as the costs for most teams is just starting out somewhere between  £8500 to £9500 to run a team in the league so right now the less travelling saves more money for the clubs.  I think its exciting for a team in Ayrshire playing a Glasgow team and a Lanarkshire team  and visa versa in their league, teams that they haven't faced before which would add to the excitement but they have regionalized the West region.   

I think 21/22 will be a different and totally all in

And guess what, during the week, friendlies can always be arranged with any of the clubs in the West region to give Ayrshire lads a taste of Glasgow and Lanarkshire teams and visa versa

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

3 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

I understand that and as I said it is difficult. But the example being that on a Friday night we will have to get from Glasgow to Maybole for 6.30 (if the kick off is 7:30) and if like me you work till 5 in the city centre it is going to be difficult to do. And the same goes for Maybole having to come up to Barrhead for the same time. It’s a big ask to be able to do it.

Just noticed the distance between Beith and Maybole and it’s 33 miles for both teams so it’s a difficult one. It is what it is and looking forward to the challenge.

Almost all of the U20 games last season kicked off at 8pm, so that'll give people more time if replicated in the west.

1 hour ago, Seasiders Youth said:
1 hour ago, Kenny*******Powers said:

Will be 3 if Darvel (Glenvale) are playing in Paisley. Assuming there's a West Cup, perhaps it could be drawn so that teams don't play those from the same conference initally?

I've mapped the U20s at the link below - don't know where a lot of the new clubs are playing, so they are either marked on a nearby 3G or at their parent club's home ground. Will update if anyone has better info.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1b7I-QmmYuS88ZBWd1stFnIuugBNwBsZB&ll=55.774334218876106%2C-3.820960500000001&z=9

Screenshot_2020-07-07 Lowlands U20 Development League – Google My Maps.png

13 hours ago, Seasiders Youth said:

For the Ayrshire teams it’s just an expensive rehash of the previous Ayrshire 19’s league with some 17’s thrown in. The Ayrshire teams should’ve been spread across the conferences - why have Bonnyton got special treatment? Are the other Ayrshire teams not deemed good enough to compete in Glasgow? Conferences should’ve had at least 3 Ayrshire teams in each to encourage competition and DEVELOPMENT. 

I’ll stick by my piss poor effort comment and add Lazy to it...

Ill put money on conference C not starting with those 12 teams and finishing with less. 14-12-9 

Just been reading this & not too sure what the problem is, suppose you can't keep everyone happy but you have to take in to consideration that Bonnyton have been involved at this level for past 4 seasons and are an established/experienced squad at U20's Development participation

As they have been given special treatment now,  I assume this will give all the other Ayrshire squads that will be U16, 17 & 19s the opportunity to catch up and coaches the experience to develop as a big jump from Boys Club Fitba 

Edited by Billy XBoswell

Guessing that Bonnyton are not in the mainly Ayrshire group as the league would have ended up with two conferences with uneven numbers if they'd been placed there unless, say, Arthulie or Neilston had been switched instead. Awkward position really for everyone.

Hopefully in 12 months time the conferences will be re-jigged and, it seems likely, that additional clubs will be joining in which could help too.

13 hours ago, Whittlets vic said:

No point moaning the leagues have been drawn just get on with it there is a lot of good teams I am looking forward to it emoji837.pngemoji835.pngemoji837.pngemoji835.png

Judging by the phone call last night from your 20’s coaching staff they don’t agree with you! 

13 hours ago, Seasiders Youth said:

Shambles already, make no mistake about it teams will fold left right and centre its been happening for ten fifteen years boys clubs rehashing under junior clubs names wont change that!! 

The five west clubs who took part last season (plus EK but minus Upper Annandale/Benburb) are together in the same conference and are all to east of the region, suppose once you do that it makes sense to divide the conferences regionally.

Shambles already, make no mistake about it teams will fold left right and centre its been happening for ten fifteen years boys clubs rehashing under junior clubs names wont change that!! 
Nobody cares what you think traffordab.

14 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Almost all of the U20 games last season kicked off at 8pm, so that'll give people more time if replicated in the west.

Will be 3 if Darvel (Glenvale) are playing in Paisley. Assuming there's a West Cup, perhaps it could be drawn so that teams don't play those from the same conference initally?

I've mapped the U20s at the link below - don't know where a lot of the new clubs are playing, so they are either marked on a nearby 3G or at their parent club's home ground. Will update if anyone has better info.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1b7I-QmmYuS88ZBWd1stFnIuugBNwBsZB&ll=55.774334218876106%2C-3.820960500000001&z=9

Screenshot_2020-07-07 Lowlands U20 Development League – Google My Maps.png

That's actually a terrific graphic, and I suppose does show that here was some proper thought put into reducing travel in the West, almost three distinct colour groups?

My opinion for what it's worth, and after reading all the comments is:

1.  It would be impossible to please all 38 teams, most of them new to the set-up, and always bound to be a few upset about something.

2.  With a shorter, compressed 1st season looming, reducing the travel and trying to split Geographically appears prudent and is one less barrier to sustainability

3.  Season 1 should allow clubs to demonstrate their competence in every way and "earn their stripes" for Season 2, which I assume would be all in?

4.  There is one dissenter arguing that there is too much travel, and another arguing there is no enough travel, which kind of vindicates point 1 :-)

5.  Other than those 13 teams having to get to Mid Annandale, the maximum travel time for any team is unlikely to exceed 1-hour, based on the above graph, even with a delay factored in.

6.  Splitting the Ayrshire sides into 3 x different Conferences would have meant 3 or 4 x Ayrshire based teams going to places like Mid Annandale, Vale of Leven, KIrkintilloch etc.

7.  Perhaps the existing West based teams have been grouped together as they same to be mostly in same Geography, and all of these teams have probably faced much worse travel over the years on a regular basis than anything in the proposed new set up?

My nephew would appear to be playing in Conf B, and I hope all Conferences work our well and enhance a very good set-up,.

Good luck to all, and hopefully see some of you at Holm Park!

That's actually a terrific graphic, and I suppose does show that here was some proper thought put into reducing travel in the West, almost three distinct colour groups?
My opinion for what it's worth, and after reading all the comments is:
1.  It would be impossible to please all 38 teams, most of them new to the set-up, and always bound to be a few upset about something.
2.  With a shorter, compressed 1st season looming, reducing the travel and trying to split Geographically appears prudent and is one less barrier to sustainability
3.  Season 1 should allow clubs to demonstrate their competence in every way and "earn their stripes" for Season 2, which I assume would be all in?
4.  There is one dissenter arguing that there is too much travel, and another arguing there is no enough travel, which kind of vindicates point 1 :-)
5.  Other than those 13 teams having to get to Mid Annandale, the maximum travel time for any team is unlikely to exceed 1-hour, based on the above graph, even with a delay factored in.
6.  Splitting the Ayrshire sides into 3 x different Conferences would have meant 3 or 4 x Ayrshire based teams going to places like Mid Annandale, Vale of Leven, KIrkintilloch etc.
7.  Perhaps the existing West based teams have been grouped together as they same to be mostly in same Geography, and all of these teams have probably faced much worse travel over the years on a regular basis than anything in the proposed new set up?
My nephew would appear to be playing in Conf B, and I hope all Conferences work our well and enhance a very good set-up,.
Good luck to all, and hopefully see some of you at Holm Park!

You make a fair point regarding no more than an hour away for most of the teams.

I do wonder if the travelling will impact on recruitment for those teams having to travel a greater distance than a team based less than 5 miles away plus the increased costs to teams to travel a further distance than the teams based the next area over.

We have to get on with it now but I still feel it is unfair.