West Development U20 League / Teams

It totals 29 newbies so far as I hear via social media, P&B, etc. It was 29 last season, but losing Newtongrange Star makes it 28. Prospective total of about 57 sides. Easily four conferences and could be split up further if needs be.

Does anyone know if one or more of Kilwinning Rangers, Largs Thistle and Pollok are intending to put a side into the Under 20's Development League?

Is there a chance that Drumchapel United or Glasgow University will enter teams? Or any other club?

At present it looks like 2 additional Lowland League sides will feature i.e. East Kilbride and Gala Fairydean Rovers.

From the EoS there seems to be 7 :

Edinburgh South, Glenrothes, Jeanfield Swifts, Kennoway Star Hearts, Kirkcaldy & Dysart, Tynecastle and Whitehill Welfare.

Then from the WoS , so far, it looks like 20 :

Arthurlie
Bellshill Athletic
Carluke Rovers
Clydebank
Darvel
Gartcairn
Irvine Meadow
Johnstone Burgh
Kirkintilloch Rob Roy 
Maryhill
Neilston
Newmains United
Rossvale FC
Shettleston Juniors
St Cadocs
St Roch's
Troon
Vale of Leven
Whitletts Victoria
Yoker Athletic

6 hours ago, glensmad said:
6 hours ago, Billy XBoswell said:
Not suitable in meeting required criteria then .... I wouldn't fancy watching any games from behind a fence like that ( And might have to pay for the privilege) 

Not quite true. The Lowland Development League don't strictly enforce that rule. If there is no barrier they "advise" that people watch the game from outside, but it is not mandatory.

6 hours ago, Billy XBoswell said:

My understanding is that there has to be a barrier or roped off area in place otherwise you have to stand outside of cage

If some chose to ignore this rule this will be interesting .... even more so with social distancing possibly being implemented too (Standing close to coaches & players???)

Again ... as I said not keen to stand outside a cage to watch & asked to pay either, don't think it will go down well with ex Junior punters either ... IMO 

From this season I make it 9 pitches that don't seem to have a spectator barrier. Probably depends on how many people turn up whether they enforce it.

Springburn Park Glasgow?
Lasswade Sports Centre
Clifton Hall School
Portobello High School 3G
Dalkeith Community Campus (if not on the grass)
Ainslie Park 3G
Saughton 3G
Whittinghame Drive 3G
Beath High School

Watched a few games from outside the cage,not very enjoyable to be honest. Guess the least would have to be a permanent barrier and not just a rope, hopefully all fans and clubs use common sense next season. Maybe it'll be like the kid's barriers they use at games,just portable things. Suppose the probable lack of numbers at games makes this slightly unimportant ?

6 hours ago, Dev said:

It totals 29 newbies so far as I hear via social media, P&B, etc. It was 29 last season, but losing Newtongrange Star makes it 28. Prospective total of about 57 sides. Easily four conferences and could be split up further if needs be.

Does anyone know if one or more of Kilwinning Rangers, Largs Thistle and Pollok are intending to put a side into the Under 20's Development League?

Is there a chance that Drumchapel United or Glasgow University will enter teams? Or any other club?

At present it looks like 2 additional Lowland League sides will feature i.e. East Kilbride and Gala Fairydean Rovers.

From the EoS there seems to be 7 :

Edinburgh South, Glenrothes, Jeanfield Swifts, Kennoway Star Hearts, Kirkcaldy & Dysart, Tynecastle and Whitehill Welfare.

Then from the WoS , so far, it looks like 20 :

Arthurlie
Bellshill Athletic
Carluke Rovers
Clydebank
Darvel
Gartcairn
Irvine Meadow
Johnstone Burgh
Kirkintilloch Rob Roy 
Maryhill
Neilston
Newmains United
Rossvale FC
Shettleston Juniors
St Cadocs
St Roch's
Troon
Vale of Leven
Whitletts Victoria
Yoker Athletic

Even though East Kilbride are putting a team in the U20 league again its totally different staff and coaching team, so supposed classed as new

Pollok have applied but haven't announced it due to one slight problem they have to overcome, which I'm sure they will.

Kilwinning at the start made comments and speaking to two coaches in the youth set up of teams before the lockdown and a committee member that they intend to add a development team but I haven't heard a thing since.

Largs again only gossip so far but been told privately that they intend to put a team up to the development league, but again nothing official

Drumchapel U19s team who were mostly in their 2nd year 19s folded half way through the season but think there was a U17s but they have a good youth system so its anyone's guess.

Glasgow Uni suppose, do they not need to see what students will be back to work out if they will have an U20 team or am I totally wrong with that one

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

U20 setups dont seem to be happening as much in Ayrshire for some reason, especially when you factor in that Darvel U20 is really a Paisley team.

To be honest Longtimelurker

Its a big step for all junior clubs to leave the junior ranks and become a senior team, they have to deal with everything that's is new in the senior ranks and I personally thought if 5 or 6 teams from the West produced a U20s team in the first year then I'd be amazed as its a big ask but to have all these teams produce a u20s team in the first year is fantastic and the rest who don't will know if the Development league works out just as good at it has in the previous past few years then I'm sure many more will jump on the side of development football.

I still don't treat it that as a bad thing just cause the Glenvale team are paisley but the team is run by the Darvel first team and committee, they are who in charge of the team and will be responsible for all matters.  Tons of youth teams that have been running have lads from all over.

Not a criticism of Darvel really. Think things might be skewed towards the old central region on this because you need a reasonably large local population to make a youth setup work all the way up to U20. Hence Meadow and Whitletts being in there, but not the likes of Kilbirnie and Beith.

http://www.theants.co.uk/st-anthonys-fc-and-erskine-yfc-football-partnership/

St Anthony’s FC and Erskine YFC football partnership

St Anthony’s FC and Erskine YFC are excited to announce our partnership to develop and grow a player pathway from grassroots to senior football within WOSFL. Our collective aim is to leverage our resources to provide youth players a route into semi-professional game.

Both clubs are thrilled that players from Erskine YFC will be provided the opportunity as part of our pathway to establish St Anthony’s U20s.
Erskine YFC are a well-established youth football club having been founded in 1975. Erskine YFC have players enjoying football from fun 4’s up to U19s with over 300+ registered players.

St Anthony’s founded in 1902 are based in Cardonald, Glasgow. Nicknamed ‘the Ants’ playing at McKenna park. St Anthony’s are joining WOSFL, a feeder to the Lowland league as part of the new Scottish football league pyramid structure.

St Anthony’s FC are committed to the future development of next generation football talent and will work with Erskine YFC to assist with the ongoing development of grassroots football.

Our goal is to provide a pathway into senior football and to ensure we continue to develop talent by providing a supportive football environment for all players.

Exciting times ahead for both St Anthony’s FC and Erskine YFC with our player pathway partnership which will provide further opportunities for both clubs.

We have also submitted an application to join the Lowlands Development League for the forthcoming season

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Not a criticism of Darvel really. Think things might be skewed towards the old central region on this because you need a reasonably large local population to make a youth setup work all the way up to U20. Hence Meadow and Whitletts being in there, but not the likes of Kilbirnie and Beith.

I did not see your post as a criticism just seen it as an observation.
I think in time we will see Kilbirnie and Beith work more with a youth policy.
Every team needs the right people in place to get it al up and running.
Beith already have started as the coaching staff already know quite a lot at that level and know the importance of it, so once the Beith committee understand the plans then im sure it will take off.

LATEST UPDATE 2/0620

Have confirmed Officially that they have or are applying or operated an Under 20s team in season 19/20.
Nothing is guaranteed until after June the 15th deadline for applications.
The only real problem teams  will have is having the right criteria for their home parks

Dunipace have an U20s confirmed but admittedly unsure at the moment for WOS or EOS
Cumbernauld Colts               (Participated in the U20 development league 2019/20)
Braves / Edusport                  (Participated in the U20 development league 2019/20)
BSC                                           (Participated in the U20 development league 2019/20)    
Bonnyton Thistle                   
(Participated in the U20 development league 2019/20)
Upper Annandale                    (Participated in the U20 development league 2019/20)
Mid Annandale                       (Participated in the U20 development league 2019/20)

Bellshill                                     New to U20s  Development  CONFIRMED
Clydebank                                New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED
Shettleston                              New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/shettleston20s/status/1265313125798207493)

Troon FC                                   New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  ( twitter.com/TroonFCYA/status/1257986731405705218 )
Vale of Leven                           New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED (twitter.com/valeofleven21s/status/1262858612193591303)
Rossvale                                   New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED 
(twitter.com/RossvaleFCU20s/status/1264648795725484034)
East Kilbride FC                       New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/EKFC20s/status/1263185047915507715)
Carluke Rovers FC                   New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/Carlukeroversfc/status/1263533238074707968
Darvel FC                                 New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED 
( twitter.com/darvelfc/status/1263522036506406915/photo/1 )
St Cadocs YC                            New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (mobile.twitter.com/StCadocsYC/status/1263924087228960771 )
Whitletts Victoria Fc              New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/wvfc_official/status/1265697863281016835)
Maryhill FC                              New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/Maryhill_FC/status/1265317242054627329)
St Rochs FC                              New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED   (twitter.com/StRochsJuniors/status/1264645421667942402)
Johnstone Burgh Fc           New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/johnstone_burgh/status/1264267990243123201)
Newmains United Fc           New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/NewmainsUtdFC/status/1265736408813142017)
Gartcairn FC                             New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/GartcairnFA/status/1263735383931699200 )
Arthurlie FC                             New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/barrheadyouthfc/status/1265360661225312257 )
Irvine Meadow FC                  New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/Medda1897/status/1267779318710784006 )
Kirkintilloch Rob Roy FC
        New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/robroy1878/status/1268136921726947328 )
Neilston FC                               New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/NeilstonFC/status/1268500332482609157 )
Yoker Athletic
FC                     New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/YokerAthleticFC/status/1268887449754832896 )
Beith 
FC                                   New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/BeithJuniorsFC/status/1269300072757501954 )
St Antonys 
FC                         New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com//SaintAnthonysFC/status/1269252881703669761 )

POSSIBLY; Teams who have applied are listed above. So at this moment we have 29 teams, (30 if counting Dunipace) from the West side and with an impressive, excellent East side of over 30 teams, the Lowland U20s Development League looks as if is growing from strength to strength)

The list below is of teams who have expressed an interest but nothing has been made official

Kilwinning
Pollok                                                (heard they have their U20 management in place and just one obstacle to get over and they will apply)
Largs Thistle                                  (informed unofficially that they will be applying to join the U20 league)

Cumbernauld, Auchinleck, Rutherglen Glencairn and Cumnock are looking into it but think it looks like 21/22 when they are ready

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

On 05/06/2020 at 11:08, Billy XBoswell said:

My understanding is that there has to be a barrier or roped off area in place otherwise you have to stand outside of cage

If some chose to ignore this rule this will be interesting .... even more so with social distancing possibly being implemented too (Standing close to coaches & players???)

Again ... as I said not keen to stand outside a cage to watch & asked to pay either, don't think it will go down well with ex Junior punters either ... IMO 

Most (if not all) current Lowland League Under 20’s don’t charge an admission fee to watch. Usually there a bucket on the way in for donations.

It’s going to be a brilliant setup once it’s all underway!

1 minute ago, Spyro said:

Most (if not all) current Lowland League Under 20’s don’t charge an admission fee to watch. Usually there a bucket on the way in for donations.

It’s going to be a brilliant setup once it’s all underway!

The bucket I believe is usually for teams whos playing on a public park, School park etc.. where they are not allowed to charge.
Think in the grounds of senior teams then there will be  charge but I believe its either £1 or £2

A bucket is actually a good shout I think

LATEST UPDATE 2/0620

Have confirmed Officially that they have or are applying or operated an Under 20s team in season 19/20.
Nothing is guaranteed until after June the 15th deadline for applications.
The only real problem teams  will have is having the right criteria for their home parks

Dunipace have an U20s confirmed but admittedly unsure at the moment for WOS or EOS
Cumbernauld Colts               (Participated in the U20 development league 2019/20)
Braves / Edusport                  (Participated in the U20 development league 2019/20)
BSC                                           (Participated in the U20 development league 2019/20)    
Bonnyton Thistle                   
(Participated in the U20 development league 2019/20)
Upper Annandale                    (Participated in the U20 development league 2019/20)
Mid Annandale                       (Participated in the U20 development league 2019/20)

Bellshill                                     New to U20s  Development  CONFIRMED
Clydebank                                New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED
Shettleston                              New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/shettleston20s/status/1265313125798207493)
Troon FC                                   New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  ( twitter.com/TroonFCYA/status/1257986731405705218 )
Vale of Leven                           New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED 
Rossvale                                   New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/RossvaleFCU20s/status/1264648795725484034)
East Kilbride FC                       New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/EKFC20s/status/1263185047915507715)
Carluke Rovers FC                   New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED
Darvel FC                                 New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED 
( twitter.com/darvelfc/status/1263522036506406915/photo/1 )
St Cadocs YC                            New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (mobile.twitter.com/StCadocsYC/status/1263924087228960771 )
Whitletts Victoria Fc              New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/wvfc_official/status/1265697863281016835)
Maryhill FC                              New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/Maryhill_FC/status/1265317242054627329)
St Rochs FC                              New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED   (twitter.com/StRochsJuniors/status/1264645421667942402)
Johnstone Burgh Fc           New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/johnstone_burgh/status/1264267990243123201)
Newmains United Fc           New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/NewmainsUtdFC/status/1265736408813142017)
Gartcairn FC                             New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/GartcairnFA/status/1263735383931699200 )
Arthurlie FC                             New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/barrheadyouthfc/status/1265360661225312257 )
Irvine Meadow FC                  New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/Medda1897/status/1267779318710784006 )
Kirkintilloch Rob Roy FC
        New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/robroy1878/status/1268136921726947328 )
Neilston FC                               New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/NeilstonFC/status/1268500332482609157 )
Yoker Athletic
FC                     New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/YokerAthleticFC/status/1268887449754832896 )
Beith 
FC                                   New to U20s Development   CONFIRMED  (twitter.com/BeithJuniorsFC/status/1269300072757501954 )

POSSIBLY; Teams who have applied are listed above. So at this moment we have 28 teams, (29 if counting Dunipace) from the West side and with an impressive, excellent East side of over 30 teams, the Lowland U20s Development League looks as if is growing from strength to strength)

The list below is of teams who have expressed an interest but nothing has been made official

Kilwinning
Pollok                                                (heard they have their U20 management in place and just one obstacle to get over and they will apply)
Largs Thistle                                  (informed unofficially that they will be applying to join the U20 league)

Cumbernauld, Auchinleck, Rutherglen Glencairn and Cumnock are looking into it but think it looks like 21/22 when they are ready

You've missed the Ants off that list.

The bucket I believe is usually for teams whos playing on a public park, School park etc.. where they are not allowed to charge.

Think in the grounds of senior teams then there will be  charge but I believe its either £1 or £2

A bucket is actually a good shout I think

It's upto clubs what they do. We put a bucket out, some have asked £2 or £3, most are free.

On the subject of a spectator barrier, this should be a minimum requirement. There were a couple of incidents this season where a physical barrier between parents and pitch would have helped. Need to try and be as professional as we can be at this level. Some venues I encountered really are unsuitable.

What doesn't help either is lack of linesmen, even club linesmen to put the flag up if ball goes out. Referees did it themselves and unsurprisingly get it wrong a few times a game.

1 minute ago, Burnieman said:

It's upto clubs what they do. We put a bucket out, some have asked £2 or £3, most are free.

On the subject of a spectator barrier, this should be a minimum requirement. There were a couple of incidents this season where a physical barrier between parents and pitch would have helped. Need to try and be as professional as we can be at this level. Some venues I encountered really are unsuitable.

I think the interest in the Lowland Development league will increase and because of this the league will know they have to become more stricter and I would expect the barrier criteria to be imposed constantly.    In regards to discipline, has there been any teams thrown out of the league due to discipline problems

I think the interest in the Lowland Development league will increase and because of this the league will know they have to become more stricter and I would expect the barrier criteria to be imposed constantly.    In regards to discipline, has there been any teams thrown out of the league due to discipline problems

Tranent were chucked out last season due to a number of issues. Tynecastle and Haddington withdrew this season.

Really hope the season kicks off with poss 30 teams, (3 X 10 ? ) Can see the grounds being  the main issue, with possible late switches similar to the spfl reserve set up. Would be nice to see crowds of 50+ paying whatever, going towards pitch and ref fees,costly affair these days. Positive times thankfully.