West Development U20 League / Teams

This season the development league consisted of two conference leagues and made up of teams mainly from the East and potentially 5 who could play in the West.  With the new senior league for the WOS starting are there any of the 67 teams starting a development squad for this coming season thus giving enough teams that the Lowland league will start a WOS Development League.

Any of the 67 teams care to comment on this position at this time

You don't need to set up a league

The Lowland U20 Development League are open to applications now, closing date 15th June.  WoS league clubs will be eligible to enter this.

This season it was run with two seeded Conferences of 14/15 clubs in each, Bonnyton, BSC, Upper Annandale, Mid Annadale, Caley Braves & Cumbernauld Colts are already members so chances are it would go to regional Conferences next season with one being western biased.

Anyone interested should contact the LL.

Edited by BMan

4 minutes ago, BMan said:

You don't need to set up a league

The Lowland U20 Development League are open to applications now, closing date 15th June.  WoS league clubs will be eligible to enter this.

This season it was run with two seeded Conferences of 14/15 clubs in each, Bonnyton, BSC, Upper Annandale, Mid Annadale, Caley Braves & Cumbernauld Colts are already members so chances are it would go to regional Conferences next season with one being western biased.

Anyone interested should contact the LL.

Yeah that's what is meant. There will be teams from the west interested but ONLY if there will be a division /league set up for the WOS. development teams  I know a few teams joining from the west who are interested in putting a squad in but don't fancy playing most of their away games in the East, they would rather have it localised to the Western region of sorts

1 minute ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Yeah that's what is meant. There will be teams from the west interested but ONLY if there will be a division /league set up for the WOS. development teams  I know a few teams joining from the west who are interested in putting a squad in but don't fancy playing most of their away games in the East, they would rather have it localised to the Western region of sorts

Well they need to accept some travelling will be involved.  We had to travel to Glasgow, Kilmarnock, Cumbernauld, Fife and East Lothian for matches this season.  It's just the way it is.

Given there's 4 or 5 west clubs anyway, chances are if there's another 4 or 5 west applicants on top then they'll try and regionalise it.

I get that but its all new and lots of these teams will be teams from grassroots so the administration, arrangements managers, coaches tec.. are all use dot playing in a local league with not that much travelling so its all adds up with cost, so it would put a few off if they don't think it will be regionalised.

As you say BMan, best to contact the lowland league to find out.  is there any particular person who deals with the Lowland Development league who people can contact

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I get that but its all new and lots of these teams will be teams from grassroots so the administration, arrangements managers, coaches tec.. are all use dot playing in a local league with not that much travelling so its all adds up with cost, so it would put a few off if they don't think it will be regionalised.

As you say BMan, best to contact the lowland league to find out.  is there any particular person who deals with the Lowland Development league who people can contact

Ideally the joint u20 league run by the tier 5/6 leagues should be seen and run as a step up from local boys club football. And if clubs want to run sides in that league then there s a recognition of a greater commitment/cost that comes with that. 

That’s not to say some form of regionalisation can’t come in if there’s an influx of west region sides but depending on how many you may well still have an area between Lockerbie and duniplace.

i think it’s possible if say you got 10 more sides join that the LL development could be a similar structure to the current EoS but with regionalised 1st division instead of seeded conferences .  A lowland wide premier division with west and east divisions that play inter-region games against each other. 

Edited by parsforlife

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

Ideally the joint u20 league run by the tier 5/6 leagues should be seen and run as a step up from local boys club football. And if clubs want to run sides in that league then their is a recognition of a greater commitment/cost that comes with that. 

That’s not to say some form of regionalisation can’t come in if there’s an influx of west region sides but depending on how many you may well still have an area between Lockerbie and duniplace.

i think it’s possible if say you got 10 more sides join that the LL development could be a similar structure to the current EoS but with regionalist 1st division instead of seeded conferences .  A lowland wide premier division with west and east divisions that play inter-region games against each other. 

Yip agree with everything stated Parsforlife
Greater commitment /cost etc.. yeah that is to be expected but as I said,  right now a few teams would eb put off adding a dev squad unless they knew a West section would be running.
Deffo can see a west region and a east region and both promoted to the top lowland development division in the future

2 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Yip agree with everything stated Parsforlife
Greater commitment /cost etc.. yeah that is to be expected but as I said,  right now a few teams would eb put off adding a dev squad unless they knew a West section would be running.
Deffo can see a west region and a east region and both promoted to the top lowland development division in the future

I would think that for those sides who can’t commit to region wide yet but would be interested in a west region then it may serve them better not to enter in the first year and use that time to build the structures in the club so that they can join in year 2.

1 minute ago, cmontheloknow said:

I guess one issue needing seen to is park availability on a Friday night? Are many of the 3g pitches in the West used for fives etc?

A 3 hour full pitch block booking is surely going to have a good chance of getting a hire over sides wanting 1/3rd of the pitch for an hour.

36 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

A 3 hour full pitch block booking is surely going to have a good chance of getting a hire over sides wanting 1/3rd of the pitch for an hour.

But if the fives are booked up for those 3 hrs? It's not exactly an area of expertise but does a 3hr pitch hire have same price as 3x courts for fives for same time? I'd imagine friday night was a popular 5s night. Here in LG it is anyway, with the local soccer centre also booking up the whole pitch from 6 to 8.

Edited by cmontheloknow

6 hours ago, Dev said:

Clydebank have decided to enter a team next season. See NLS.

Please stop saying "See NLS" - copy the link to the actual tweet and post it here instead. NLS simply have a Twitter list which shows all of the West Junior clubs' tweets.

There's 6 U20s in the WOSFL catchment area at the moment, plus Clydebank and Bellshill. The West Under 21s has the following teams which are presumably linked to the WOSFL clubs, getting even just a few of these would make a west conference more viable.

Pollok Juveniles
Rutherglen Glencairn
Gartcairn Academy
Johnstone Burgh
Rossvale FC
Arthurlie Juniors
Shettleston Juniors
Vale of Leven
Larkhall Thistle
Cambuslang Rangers
Glasgow University
Largs Thistle
Kilwinning Rangers
Drumchapel United
Renfrew FC

7 hours ago, Dev said:

Clydebank have decided to enter a team next season. See NLS.

That was always going to happen with the current U19s team moving to the U20s development league as soon as it was announced that Clydebank were finalizing their application to join the new WOS the academy were preparing months in advance to add the U19s team.

Pollok and Rossvale are both looking into it but both academies have already been preparing for a development squad  and I know of a few others in the west who have stated they are preparing to add a U20 team into the development league for 20/21

Was a no brainer for us been looking to join for the past 3 years but being a junior club had stopped us.

Delighted to finally apply and hopefully it will be the long term solution to a huge problem at the top end of youth football. 

I was fairly skeptical as to the number of teams that will apply in time for next year, but there definitely is interest. People do need to keep in mind a lot of those 21s teams are pretty well cemented with their setup on a Saturday afternoon. But if a club wants a 20s I can see many 19s jumping on because the situation there is critical.