Rutherglen Glencairn 2020-21

On 12/12/2020 at 21:29, glensmad said:

We'll never know that for sure as we had half of our season still to play and we'd only lost one match in 2020 up till lockdown. We were in good form at the time and were confident of staying up with the games in hand we had and the huge number of home games we had left against the teams around us. I guess we'll never know for sure. But the same could be said for the other teams who were in the relegation zone. It's a pointless debate which nobody can definitively prove they are correct on either side. But regardless of what happened last season or this one, we'll be in the Premier Division again next season as well. 

Aye strange times took Glencairn many seasons and few near misses to get promotion...now they are there can't get bloody rid of them no matter how poor they are :)

Glens v Troon might have been a conference match had last season not ended abruptly though Glens were playing some good stuff and getting results prior to lockdown. Personally thought they would have escaped relegation with guys like McKay returning from injury. Dunno what the reason for poor results this season as they look to have a decent squad.

To be fair, we've had a really tough run of fixtures to start with.

Away to Hurlford, led at half time but ran out of legs second half due to lack of games (3 weeks without a game while Hurlford had been playing right through, their superior fitness told in the end, but needed a penalty to beat us.)

Home to Bonnyton, won that one, although we left it late.

Home to Troon, dominated the match but lost out by the odd goal in three, despite playing with ten men for the last half hour.

Away to Clydebank, soundly beaten by the best side I've seen this season. The only game we've let ourselves down in my opinion.

Away to Troon, very unfortunate to lose on the balance of play and chances in the game.

Clydebank are the only team who have beaten us by more than one goal.

So we have played 5 games, with 3 of them against the two teams who are top of the league with 10 wins out of 11 games between them, one other away to Hurlford who will be up near the top competing, and one against the bottom side which we've won. It's been a tough schedule, and we have another title contender this Saturday with Darvel due to visit us. That's just the way the fixtures work out, I suppose.

Edited by glensmad

5 minutes ago, glensmad said:

To be fair, we've had a really tough run of fixtures to start with.

Away to Hurlford, led at half time but ran out of legs second half due to lack of games (3 weeks without a game while Hurlford had been playing right through, their superior fitness told in the end, but needed a penalty to beat us.)

Home to Bonnyton, won that one, although we left it late.

Home to Troon, dominated the match but lost out by the odd goal in three, despite playing with ten men for the last half hour.

Away to Clydebank, soundly beaten by the best side I've seen this season. The only game we've let ourselves down in my opinion.

Away to Troon, very unfortunate to lose on the balance of play and chances in the game.

So we have played 5 games, with 3 of them against the two teams who are top of the league with 10 wins out of 11 games between them, one other away to Hurlford who will be up near the top competing, and one against the bottom side which we've won. It's been a tough schedule, and we have another title contender this Saturday with Darvel due to visit us. That's just the way the fixtures work out, I suppose.

Aye fair enough but if you added clubs like Talbot , Glenafton etc you really would not be able to afford to lose to teams like Troon them games would have been massive.... especially if it was 7 down as originally planned.

1 minute ago, clash city rocker said:

Aye fair enough but if you added clubs like Talbot , Glenafton etc you really would not be able to afford to lose to teams like Troon them games would have been massive.... especially if it was 7 down as originally planned.

Yes, but remember we're only third bottom at the moment, we have two games in hand over the two teams immediately above us, and there are other teams who withdrew who would likely have been fighting to avoid the bottom 7 as well, e.g. Benburb, Kilbirnie Ladeside, Cumnock.

We're only 5 games in, with 21 still to play, we'll assess better how we're all faring after 13 or 14 games.

45 minutes ago, glensmad said:
1 hour ago, clash city rocker said:
Aye that Troon. Who have they beaten ?... honestly don't have a clue emoji4.png Last season they couldnae beat themselves

Bonnyton Thistle, Rossvale, Rob Roy and Glencairn twice, plus a draw with Beith.

Basically all the teams that would’ve been relegated this season apart from maybe Rossvale 

1 hour ago, jinky said:

sure there is better to come from the Glens as squad on paper looks stronger than last season...only time will tell

We have a few players who haven't really had a chance to get going properly yet for various reasons, e.g. Kieron Maxwell, Michael Lone, Rikki McIntosh, Kieran Hannaway, Garry Whyte. That's five players who have only had four starting places between them so far who I expected to be a big part of our plans, but injury and self-isolation have played their part in their absence.

The return of Dale Simeon was obviously very welcome, and once he gets his match fitness he'll no doubt be a big player for us again this season.

• 2 weeks later...