Ground improvement/works thread

8 hours ago, Burnieman said:

I think KRR means something to a lot of those same residents/community, and to build a facility like this and hand it over to a non-East Dunbartonshire organisation is a very questionable move.

KRR have a ladies team as well, and the whole club will be able to expand if they have a base back in town, which will be to the long term benefit of the residents/community.

I agree with you on that but you can't just decide to give it away to one organisation without letting others make offers. I would think the offers are more about what you can do for the community rather than just finances. 

3 hours ago, Dev said:

It's kind of odd that a local authority built/is building such a facility "on spec".

Surely it should have had tenants/occupiers tied up before placing the contract for the work - assuming it is on land already owned by the council. 

Wonder what the Scottish Government makes of that?

It has nothing to do with Scottish Government unless they are using their funding to build it and if that is the case they would be well aware of what is happening. 

12 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

I agree with you on that but you can't just decide to give it away to one organisation without letting others make offers. I would think the offers are more about what you can do for the community rather than just finances. 

As has been said, it begs the question just exactly why they were building it if there was no clear idea who would be taking on the lease.  Councils don't just spend £Millions building a licence specific ground with 500 seats floodlights and 3g pitches unless you're intention is to see the local club(s) play there and take on a 50 year lease (as an example).

It's all a little strange, but what shouldn't be happening is a club from outside the area being given the lease instead of KRR.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Edited by Burnieman

6 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

As has been said, it begs the question just exactly why they were building it if there was no clear idea who would be taking on the lease.  Councils don't just spend £Millions building a licence specific ground with 500 seats floodlights and 3g pitches unless you're intention is to see the local club(s) play there and take on a 50 year lease (as an example).

It's all a little strange, but what shouldn't be happening is a club from outside the area being given the lease instead of KRR.

They will have not have built it without expressions of interests or concrete bids from parties and they cannot show bias to one bid over another due to where the team is based. 

Just remember that KRR chose to move away from Adamslie without a new ground built and chose the money over security. Its not up to the council to bail them out of their current situation unless the bid is the best for the community (which I would guess it will be!)

12 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

I don't believe its 500 seats, presumably it doesn't meet full licencing criteria otherwise KRR wouldn't be committing additional funds on improvements. A bit like Kilwinning Rangers when they moved in to their new place.

As for doing building it with no clear idea who'd run it. Looks like they're going to have multiple bids on their hands. So aren't doing too badly on that front. Presumably the worst case scenario was the Council running the place.

https://www.eastdunbarton.gov.uk/kirkintilloch-community-sports-complex

A bit in the marketing materials points out they're not required to accept the highest bidder. So KRR have that going for them. They've just got to put together the most professional offer that ticks all the boxes.

1 hour ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

They will have not have built it without expressions of interests or concrete bids from parties and they cannot show bias to one bid over another due to where the team is based. 

Just remember that KRR chose to move away from Adamslie without a new ground built and chose the money over security. Its not up to the council to bail them out of their current situation unless the bid is the best for the community (which I would guess it will be!)

I'm not suggesting anyone should bail out KRR, but for the towns football team - and one which has been around for a very long time - to be overlooked for a facility that brings them back to the town, in favour of a Glasgow team (assuming their their main rival for the lease) would be rather strange.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I don't believe its 500 seats, presumably it doesn't meet full licencing criteria otherwise KRR wouldn't be committing additional funds on improvements. A bit like Kilwinning Rangers when they moved in to their new place.

As for doing building it with no clear idea who'd run it. Looks like they're going to have multiple bids on their hands. So aren't doing too badly on that front. Presumably the worst case scenario was the Council running the place.

https://www.eastdunbarton.gov.uk/kirkintilloch-community-sports-complex

A bit in the marketing materials points out they're not required to accept the highest bidder. So KRR have that going for them. They've just got to put together the most professional offer that ticks all the boxes.

270 seats.  I had read a while back that it was going to be 500.  Either way it seems to tick all the main licence boxes.

Yip, sounds like the club will need to get all their ducks in line and do a professional job of pitching for the lease.

10 hours ago, Burnieman said:

I'm not suggesting anyone should bail out KRR, but for the towns football team - and one which has been around for a very long time - to be overlooked for a facility that brings them back to the town, in favour of a Glasgow team (assuming their their main rival for the lease) would be rather strange.

It’s rumoured that one of the OF are targeting it for their own use, both already have a substantial presence in ED and would have no problem pitching for a lease. 

11 hours ago, Lurcer said:

It’s rumoured that one of the OF are targeting it for their own use, both already have a substantial presence in ED and would have no problem pitching for a lease. 

They're rumoured to be in for everything. Probably true to be fair, they'd trample over the corpse of either Rob Roy or Glasgow City without a second thought.

On 24/07/2022 at 20:43, Burnieman said:

Totally correct am now starting 2 think the edc is as fucked up as the wdc lol. Hope krr get it sorted and we get 2 play them in kirkie again. Theyve been away 2 long. I even miss robroyguy lol (queue all the haters now) lol 

Mon the papers 

Meadowbank is/will be shared between FC Edinburgh and Leith Athletic. The former is a Licenced club and has to meet licencing requirements over security of tenure etc. Presumably other clubs can use it too when they're not playing so that seems straight forward enough. Why can't something like that work at the new facility in Kirkintilloch?

7 hours ago, Pollok mad said:

Petershill Park has about 10 games on there every weekend including two wosl teams, surely the same sort of arrangement can be found to allow Rob Roy to play there

With that amount of games and probably team’s training on it 7 days a week, what is the lifespan of an astro with that amount of use? 

With that amount of games and probably team’s training on it 7 days a week, what is the lifespan of an astro with that amount of use? 

Petershill was notoriously overused and under maintained for the first few years, leaving it in a bit of a mess by the time they relaid it. Would imaging the lifespan is shortened by its extensive use. Would need very regular brushing as well.

49 minutes ago, Kenny*******Powers said:

From my experiences with public astros, it's about 7-8 years of play before it needs replaced, but for a pitch that is used at a better standard I would imagine you could take a couple years away from it 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...