BigBadBassRock

West of Scotland Football, What Is The Future?

The situation with a promotion bottle neck for big WOSFL and EOSFL makes the long term future of the Lowland League look unlikely to me... If the West and East split the Lowland system, they would still have parity with the Highlands and it would solve the problem of it taking years to stabilise the fact some relatively weak outfits will stay in the Lowland League because it will take so long to replace them...

56 minutes ago, weeto said:

The situation with a promotion bottle neck for big WOSFL and EOSFL makes the long term future of the Lowland League look unlikely to me... If the West and East split the Lowland system, they would still have parity with the Highlands and it would solve the problem of it taking years to stabilise the fact some relatively weak outfits will stay in the Lowland League because it will take so long to replace them...

Maybe if the west clubs had come on board after Kelty Hearts' move then they could have had more sides already playing in the LL? Boat delayed, unfortunately.

Do you think that the SPFL would agree to more than two leagues at Tier 5? You couldn't divide the LL area into east and west at Tier 5 unless the SPFL agreed to it. They're not even willing to put forward a club to take part in this season's play-off final against the winners of the HL and LL?

Splitting the LL reduces the promotion possibility for the winner as there'd be some sort of further play off so it would be turkeys voting for xmas.

This is why Option Z was DOA.

Edited by cmontheloknow

16 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Are clubs really playing friendlies right now? Wtf?

As football's banned and players can't train  (as far as I know?) it must be under the radar unless clubs have the cash for a fine or two.

And pointless as we're going to be (IMO) closed down.

Edited by cmontheloknow

2 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

As football's banned and players can't train  (as far as I know?) it must be under the radar unless clubs have the cash for a fine or two.

What do you mean closed down? Lockdown?

Ive seen something from a closed facebook group suggesting two teams may have played a friendly recently. It may be the case that someone is trolling so not fair to name the teams but if true its a poor effort.

45 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

What do you mean closed down? Lockdown?

20-21 is not viable at our level.

17 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

So start in August 2021 at earliest IYO?

5 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

So start in August 2021 at earliest IYO?

The senior season starts in June/July but I wouldn't be ruling summer 2021 out. 

Can you really see the non-league game continuing as normal while part-time teams in the 42 are in all likelihood having to be mothballed?

Closed-doors is not affordable. Testing is not affordable. Asking supporters to social distance is counter intuitive and un-policable. Dressing rooms cannot be socially distanced easily. Toilets? Catering?

Part-time football is in danger until some sort of vaccine is found OR the virus weakens.

January is a fantasy, especially as that is the postponement season!

Edited by cmontheloknow

1 minute ago, cmontheloknow said:

The senior season starts in June/July but I wouldn't be ruling summer 2021 out. 

Can you really see the non-league game continuing as normal while part-time teams in the 42 are having to be mothballed?

Closed-doors is not affordable. Testing is not affordable. Asking supporters to social distance is counter intuitive and un-policable. Dressing rooms cannot be socially distanced easily. Toilets? Catering?

Part-time football is in danger until some sort of vaccine is found OR the virus weakens.

January is a fantasy, especially as that is the postponement season!

Agree on all of the above but then again nip in to the Botanic Gardens and see if things are as sensible as you have made them seem there. 

The UK lockdown has been a fantasy and the ever decreasing circle of awareness tells me that football will be back sooner than that. 

Either way 20 team league will skew the whole thing.

7 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Agree on all of the above but then again nip in to the Botanic Gardens and see if things are as sensible as you have made them seem there. 

The UK lockdown has been a fantasy and the ever decreasing circle of awareness tells me that football will be back sooner than that. 

Either way 20 team league will skew the whole thing.

The government can control some things and this is one.

NS was a bit tetchy earlier on about the covidiots so perhaps she's ready to act on that as well.

Would also add in that part time players have got other incomes to protect and while some are very well paid, others are not. It's be a massive gamble to pile onto a bus or cram into a dressing room made for 16 with 20 or so players / coaches etc... we're not all Darvel! 😂

I honestly think SFA will be forced to close down any football clubs that cannot do their bit to contribute to the national health emergency effort.

edit: would say the Botanics comparison would work better if the football club gates were left open and people weren't being charged omission. As that cannot be the case due to cost, clubs have a duty of care to customers and if safety and social distancing are widely expected in society, that has to be considered. Just as a cinema cannot pile people into Screen 1 and say 'take your chances'.

Edited by cmontheloknow

48 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Having just seen the SFA protocol for returning to training, you're absolutely right.

1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:

Posting the result and pictures on Twitter is hardly under the radar 😂

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Are clubs really playing friendlies right now? Wtf?

It's a wind up the photo looks like a sectional clash back in August.

It's a wind up the photo looks like a sectional clash back in August.

Thats good! Thought it maybe seemed a bit of a wind up. But given the way everyone’s forgotten the lockdown rules nothing would surprise me?

Im starting to become a bit convinced we wont see football at our level next season, as horrible as it may seem with people ripping the arse out of stage 1 its going to set us back considerably. Hopefully we get a vaccine soon.

46 minutes ago, Nikos K said:

Posting the result and pictures on Twitter is hardly under the radar 😂

You think clubs are stupid enough to play a genuine friendly and post results & pics on social media?

34 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Thats good! Thought it maybe seemed a bit of a wind up. But given the way everyone’s forgotten the lockdown rules nothing would surprise me?

Im starting to become a bit convinced we wont see football at our level next season, as horrible as it may seem with people ripping the arse out of stage 1 its going to set us back considerably. Hopefully we get a vaccine soon.

When you saw the pictures of Portabello beach yesterday this virus is never going to go away.

16 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

You think clubs are stupid enough to play a genuine friendly and post results & pics on social media?

A bit like going for a bike ride to Edinburgh?

9 minutes ago, Monalie said:

A bit like going for a bike ride to Edinburgh?

As daft as that was, it's not quite the same as playing a friendly!