West of Scotland Football, What Is The Future?

16 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Did Dunoon not have a Junior team at one point or was it two Junior teams?

Until 1976. The death knell was costs of paying for ferrying visiting sides as well as the local council rejecting an application for a social club.

In fact - yes, I did go all the way to Edinburgh just to confirm this a few years back -

endofjuniorfitba.thumb.JPG.fbaf01a67a2d1b9f1aa1dad72bed4965.JPG

Edited by Sunrise

11 hours ago, Stag Nation said:

Are you claiming that your "suggestion" and "support" played some part in those developments?

I'm not making any such claims. However I have consistently promoted the North Caledonian League on various  P&B forums, particularly since 2012 when the NCL was struggling to survive. 

As a young kid, I was an Inverness Thistle fan (pre merger), who was also inquisitive to understand why two highland clubs (Wick Academy and Golspie Sutherland) were full SFA Member clubs, but were not members of the Highland Football League, at that time.  (Wick eventually joined the HFL, as you know). 

I started the "Expansion of the NCL" P&B forum in 2017, which is still running   I am also very pleased that despite Covid19, the NCL now has 13 clubs, plus Lewis & Harris FC participating in some NCL cups.

Edited by Robert James
typo error

4 hours ago, Sunrise said:

Until 1976. The death knell was costs of paying for ferrying visiting sides as well as the local council rejecting an application for a social club.

In fact - yes, I did go all the way to Edinburgh just to confirm this a few years back -

endofjuniorfitba.thumb.JPG.fbaf01a67a2d1b9f1aa1dad72bed4965.JPG

Thanks for posting this. A good read and peaked my interest as I’m up that way just now, been coming up for a few years now and had always wondered about the town’s football team(s). We went along to Dunoon yesterday and when we were in the book shop a chap came in who was collecting some framed old photographs and newspaper articles. When I asked who the team were in the photos the chap told me he’d played Juniors for Dunoon back in the 60’s/70’s and the frame he was picking up was a birthday gift for a friend whom he’d played for the Juniors with back in the day.

Edited by 8MileBU

9 hours ago, Sunrise said:

But why on earth would they consider playing in the Scottish league and why would it even be speculated upon? You didn’t explicitly say that, but it wasn’t clear at all when you pondered on them.

As much as I’d love a trip to Arran or Dunoon in the West, for instance, I cannot see that happen at our level for at least some time. That’s all I need to say.

... and Orkney, you know, IS Scotland.

They wouldn't have considered it !!!  

And thanks for the geography lesson about Orkney being part of Scotland.  And by the way, so are the Shetland Isles, in case you hadn't noticed - worth a  trip if you've never been there. 

On 21/07/2020 at 23:07, ballermk said:

He's an english groundhopper who hasn't a clue about scottish junior football and its supporters he may pretend he does cause he's read a bit and maybe visited a few grounds but the reality is he doesn't have a clue. 

Like the majority on here who look at things through a computer screen and or a spreadsheet or twitter page real life feeling and the silent majority are very different. 

The fact he just throws in the remark 'just let it go' that tells you all you need to know about the poster in question ignorant flippancy.

What a pathetic argument, whatever your name is. Been explained to you before of my interests and my 3 or 4 visits to Scotland every season the past 5 years. Now up to way past 100 junior games, games at every spfl ground as well. Picked on the wrong bloke for an argument mate.

On 21/07/2020 at 22:31, GLENAFTON TV said:

Your last comment about ground improvements in Junior days is a generalisation that is just not true, many teams that were Juniors had made large investments in ground facilities, Glenafton, Talbot ,Cumnock, Lugar, and Muirkirk  to name the East Ayrshire teams,  and many other Ayrshire and Central based teams have improved facilities.  I can see further improvements  by all teams , but lets not forget the improvements to Grounds pre Wosl.

Agree with your points, appreciate the hard work done by the junior clubs  in the past. Because I hadn't seen any junior grounds prior to the late 90's I can see or read about what's been done - brilliant old fashioned grounds with improvements ahead. Maybe some of the future ground work  will be done now the West has gone senior now ? 

On 23/07/2020 at 11:36, 8MileBU said:

Thanks for posting this. A good read and peaked my interest as I’m up that way just now, been coming up for a few years now and had always wondered about the town’s football team(s). We went along to Dunoon yesterday and when we were in the book shop a chap came in who was collecting some framed old photographs and newspaper articles. When I asked who the team were in the photos the chap told me he’d played Juniors for Dunoon back in the 60’s/70’s and the frame he was picking up was a birthday gift for a friend whom he’d played for the Juniors with back in the day.

That same season, they did away with their informal "only local players" rule. Perhaps had they carried on, they may have been more successful.

1 hour ago, Sunrise said:

That same season, they did away with their informal "only local players" rule. Perhaps had they carried on, they may have been more successful.

The ‘76 season when they ceased to be as per that news article do you mean? 

We own a wee stay-cation near Dunoon so have quite a few random breaks up there. I’ve often thought it would be good to be able to go watch the odd game but looks like I’m about 40-odd years too late.

Edited by 8MileBU

10 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

The ‘76 season when they ceased to be as per that news article do you mean? 

We own a wee stay-cation near Dunoon so have quite a few random breaks up there. I’ve often thought it would be good to be able to go watch the odd game but looks like I’m about 40-odd years too late.

Yup, I should have been clearer.

For the benefit of anyone who doesn't lurk the junior forums anymore:

My understanding is a number of the clubs are regretting their decision and this will be their last season. They only renewed as they couldn’t consult with their fans due to the pandemic and felt this was a decision for their fans and will recommend to their fans not to do so next season.