West of Scotland Football, What Is The Future?

Sorry, but that is absolute nonsense.   FC Isle of Man is a brand new football club, and it has only recently been granted membership of the Island's FA.  
Therefore as a club,  it has never been (previously) registered with/affiliated to the English County FA, nor has it entered the FA Vase..

It's still utterly bizarre that you suggested that they could join the WoSFL.

31 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

I kid you not, I was at a game between two leading Glasgow sides when the devil's lanterns came to life. "Have they asked our permission?!" came a voice of indignant outrage among the visiting support. Another reached into his pocket to produce the SJFA rule book which was given a once over, albeit not very forensically due to half-time hospitality.

Somebody who has had high ranking positions in the SJFA at both regional and national level threatened to put in a protest after the lights were turned on at Petershill Park, even though the staff at the ground decide when they go on, not us.

1 hour ago, Robert James said:

Sorry, but that is absolute nonsense.   FC Isle of Man is a brand new football club, and it has only recently been granted membership of the Island's FA.  

Therefore as a club,  it has never been (previously) registered with/affiliated to the English County FA, nor has it entered the FA Vase..

No, it is not nonsense. The Isle of Man FA is an English County FA. The Isle of Man has entered teams into the FA Vase. Whether or not this is a new entity is irrelevant. They have historically been aligned with the English system, their current clubs belong to an English County FA and so an out of the blue volte-face to pitch up ar Darvel or Craigmark seems completely la la. Par for the course perhaps! 

32 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

I kid you not, I was at a game between two leading Glasgow sides when the devil's lanterns came to life. "Have they asked our permission?!" came a voice of indignant outrage among the visiting support. Another reached into his pocket to produce the SJFA rule book which was given a once over, albeit not very forensically due to half-time hospitality.

Been there. Good few years back the ref asked us to put ours on at half time in a league game that was being played on one of those January/February days when it never really gets 100% daylight...both sides were playing in predominantly dark kits and he was having problems telling the two apart.

After we ended up winning the game the other team was muttering darkly about putting in a protest which obviously got shot out the water by the fact they were switched on at the match ref's request...nothing came of it apart from us getting an opportunity to point and laugh at them.

5 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Somebody who has had high ranking positions in the SJFA at both regional and national level threatened to put in a protest after the lights were turned on at Petershill Park, even though the staff at the ground decide when they go on, not us.

Must be an ancient burial ground, what with these devilishly uncanny goings on that seem pretty close to what I witnessed in the same spot!

2 hours ago, glensmad said:
3 hours ago, Robert James said:

I think Robert must have failed his Geography exam. Think he is getting Arran mixed up  with the Isle of Man😂

1 hour ago, Westie Scotty said:

I think Robert must have failed his Geography exam. Think he is getting Arran mixed up  with the Isle of Man😂

To be fair, you can see it on a good day from the Solway coast but the traditional way of getting to the island is by ferry from NW England. I believe FC IOM plan to fly to the mainland (and are responsible for getting opponents to / from island and catered for while over) so that's less of an issue but I go to the IOM as often as I can and it always feels like an extension of the English mainland because of the accent if nothing else, it's a kind of NW English accent. And while they might feel Manx to the core, who would they be supporting at International level? Us? Doubt it! 😄

Edited by cmontheloknow

5 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

No, it is not nonsense. The Isle of Man FA is an English County FA. The Isle of Man has entered teams into the FA Vase. Whether or not this is a new entity is irrelevant. They have historically been aligned with the English system, their current clubs belong to an English County FA and so an out of the blue volte-face to pitch up ar Darvel or Craigmark seems completely la la. Par for the course perhaps! 

The Isle of Man Football League have even won (twice!) the FA Inter-League Cup, the competition for Step 7 league selects, so have represented England in the UEFA Regions' Cup.

Edited by Cyclizine

10 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Yip, I've heard of teams that refuse to play under lights and it didn't go ahead, certainly in years gone by.  Unbelievable.

6 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Yip, I've heard of teams that refuse to play under lights and it didn't go ahead, certainly in years gone by.  Unbelievable.

Tbf Scottish football in general was pretty shortsighted in moving forward. Safety, European football, Sunday football, floodlights, lack of seats, cover, sponsorship, everything new being seen as a gimmick that wouldn't last or wasn't needed. That was the top end.

The Juniors were worse. Always harping back to a golden age that nobody under 75 remembered. Petty rules held on to decades after the big guns at the top had ditched regarding floodlights or every game to be played on a Saturday afternoon. Holding on in the West Region to the thought that the pyramid might go away. I remember folks getting upset when multi replays were dropped. Hold on mate, did you go to the second replay at the neutral venue in the pishing rain in front of ten people?

10 hours ago, glensmad said:
11 hours ago, Robert James said:

Are you "bonkers" ? (Your word)

I wasn't suggesting that the new FC IoM club should actually join the West of Scotland League.  I was merely speculating that it would have been "interesting" (My word), to see how their standard would compare with the ex-West Juniors. 

In fact, about 5 years ago, my P&B post suggested that a club from both Jersey  and the Isle of Man,  should  follow the example of Guernsey  (L'ions') FC, by joining the English Pyramid.  So, from 2020/21 onwards,  each of these 3 islands now have an (English) pyramid club.  Yes "interesting" to me, if not to anyone else, especially as these are excellent islands, for football  supporters to enjoy a weekend away.

(As an aside, I did support Orkney FC's successful application to join the North Caley League in 2014/15).  

11 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

FACT  FC Isle of Man is a new club, and this is the first time ever that a  Manx club has joined the English pyramid. 

45 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Tbf Scottish football in general was pretty shortsighted in moving forward. Safety, European football, Sunday football, floodlights, lack of seats, cover, sponsorship, everything new being seen as a gimmick that wouldn't last or wasn't needed. That was the top end.

I don't understand the comment about European football. That was embraced from the start - Hibs played in the very first European Cup, and reached the semi-final. Unlike England, where Chelsea were prevented from taking part.

12 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Are you "bonkers" ? (Your word)

I wasn't suggesting that the new FC IoM club should actually join the West of Scotland League.  I was merely speculating that it would have been "interesting" (My word), to see how their standard would compare with the ex-West Juniors. 

In fact, about 5 years ago, my P&B post suggested that a club from both Jersey  and the Isle of Man,  should  follow the example of Guernsey  (L'ions') FC, by joining the English Pyramid.  So, from 2020/21 onwards,  each of these 3 islands now have an (English) pyramid club.  Yes "interesting" to me, if not to anyone else, especially as these are excellent islands, for football  supporters to enjoy a weekend away.

(As an aside, I did support Orkney FC's successful application to join the North Caley League in 2014/15).  

Are you claiming that your "suggestion" and "support" played some part in those developments?

Are you "bonkers" ? (Your word) I wasn't suggesting that the new FC IoM club should actually join the West of Scotland League.  I was merely speculating that it would have been "interesting" (My word), to see how their standard would compare with the ex-West Juniors.  In fact, about 5 years ago, my P&B post suggested that a club from both Jersey  and the Isle of Man,  should  follow the example of Guernsey  (L'ions') FC, by joining the English Pyramid.  So, from 2020/21 onwards,  each of these 3 islands now have an (English) pyramid club.  Yes "interesting" to me, if not to anyone else, especially as these are excellent islands, for football  supporters to enjoy a weekend away.

But why on earth would they consider playing in the Scottish league and why would it even be speculated upon? You didn’t explicitly say that, but it wasn’t clear at all when you pondered on them.

As much as I’d love a trip to Arran or Dunoon in the West, for instance, I cannot see that happen at our level for at least some time. That’s all I need to say.

... and Orkney, you know, IS Scotland.

7 hours ago, Stag Nation said:

I don't understand the comment about European football. That was embraced from the start - Hibs played in the very first European Cup, and reached the semi-final. Unlike England, where Chelsea were prevented from taking part.

Whole host of club chairmen thought European football  was a gimmick that wouldn't last. Following on with the SFA that thought the Home Championships and a jolly to Wembley every second year were more important than the World Cup. You got to the finals? Why are you moaning about kit? Here's a pair of pit boots, now roll your sleeves up. Euro Championships, dodgy as eff, don't even mention them. Did i forget TV and the pettiness around live football? Here's a Scottish Cup Final live on TV in the 1950s, the next one will in 22 years time. Women's football that was getting 30,000 at a game in 1920, can't have that, come back in 80 years and we might look at it.

But at least we've got the WoSFL and even that had to be dragged, kicking and screaming into life.

Edited by Tutankhamen
f**k the SFA

5 hours ago, Sunrise said:

But why on earth would they consider playing in the Scottish league and why would it even be speculated upon? You didn’t explicitly say that, but it wasn’t clear at all when you pondered on them.

As much as I’d love a trip to Arran or Dunoon in the West, for instance, I cannot see that happen at our level for at least some time. That’s all I need to say.

... and Orkney, you know, IS Scotland.

Did Dunoon not have a Junior team at one point or was it two Junior teams?