West of Scotland Football, What Is The Future?

2 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

The government can control some things and this is one.

NS was a bit tetchy earlier on about the covidiots so perhaps she's ready to act on that as well.

Would also add in that part time players have got other incomes to protect and while some are very well paid, others are not. It's be a massive gamble to pile onto a bus or cram into a dressing room made for 16 with 20 or so players / coaches etc... we're not all Darvel! 😂

I honestly think SFA will be forced to close down any football clubs that cannot do their bit to contribute to the national health emergency effort.

edit: would say the Botanics comparison would work better if the football club gates were left open and people weren't being charged omission. As that cannot be the case due to cost, clubs have a duty of care to customers and if safety and social distancing are widely expected in society, that has to be considered. Just as a cinema cannot pile people into Screen 1 and say 'take your chances'.

The Botanical Gardens comment was merely to show that the lockdown isn't being observed, not as a direct comparison.

38 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

That's what they seem to be saying about Italy. It isn't as strong as it was two months ago.

In Italy, everyone is wearing masks outside and social distancing is being observed. Things like very small numbers in shops, hand gel everywhere and temperatures being taken. Having said that it's much more relaxed than it was but still much better than I've seen in UK pics.

Don't know if the stricter rules are a factor in the point you're making or not.

2 hours ago, Blackie Gold said:

It's a wind up the photo looks like a sectional clash back in August.

Sectional clash from July match report says “game was played in torrential rain “ photos on twitter says “ low lying sun caused problems “ 😂😂

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

The Botanical Gardens comment was merely to show that the lockdown isn't being observed, not as a direct comparison.

And it is not in the clubs' gift to ignore lockdown or any of the steps out of it. SFA will dictate and what they dictate will come from Scottish Government.

51 minutes ago, Nikos K said:

Sectional clash from July match report says “game was played in torrential rain “ photos on twitter says “ low lying sun caused problems “ 😂😂

Still no idea what game you're referring to but 'low lying sun caused problems' ...that tends to be an autumn / winter thing, not a few weeks shy of the longest day.

15 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I think for once you and I totally have the same outlook on something!lol. Yes, saw about 400 people at Linn Park on saturday, kids saying things like ‘its ok we’re young and we dont die from it’. Its just not gonna go away until we get a vaccine or the virus mutates to a less lethal form.

I was at Linn Park on Saturday for a coupla hours and, as hoaching as it was, everyone was socially distancing. The meadow was full of folk enjoying the sun but each group was well spread out

Hi, hope all good with everyone at this difficult time. I have some important information to keep you up to date with.

Scottish FA Advice on Training

I have enclosed the headline document, showing the level of preparation being demanded. I have another 8 documents giving even more details, if anyone wants to see them, just send me a message.

At this point in time these are aimed at the SPFL Clubs, with a clear instruction:
NO TESTING IN PLACE = NO TRAINING

We will no doubt be faced with similar demands if and when the testing is no longer a requirement, whenever that might be. Clearly we will need to monitor the situation so still no idea when we might restart training or games. However it is a positive sign that football in Scotland looks like making the first steps to recovery.

Along with the Lowland/ East/ South we are planning to set up a Pyramid Recovery Group to consider how all of this does and will continue to impact on our level of the game. If anyone would like to be our rep at these meetings, please let me know. Although not a requirement, perhaps someone with a medical etc background would be best placed.

In next few days I will be sending an update on where we are with setting up our league. Lots of good things happening and some important matters where we need input from the Clubs.

Cheers

Dave McKenna
Chairman West of Scotland Football League

On 23/05/2020 at 09:40, Stoosh83 said:

I find it farcical that Scottish football are even considering tests. It's an added extra clubs (all of which are constantly moaning about finances) just dont need and cant afford. Theres an argument we have too many clubs, but in reality we only have around 20 full time clubs. Some of which pay ridiculously low wages. I really dont understand why we dont go 12-18-18, now is the perfect time. All full time clubs would be in the top 2 divisions, ambitious part time clubs could go against them in the championship, leaving a national league for the best part time clubs before a drop down to regional level. However the problem is at the top we cant agree on the colour of the grass 

Some of the "30" full time clubs you refer to, will IMO need to convert to using part time players, if the  smaller SPFL are to commit to 2020/21. Likewise,current  part time clubs may be forced to use amateur players....... if they wish to participate.

For the survival of the economy, furloughing is unlikely to continue after the 31st October 2020, and the virus won't be under control by then.  

5 minutes ago, Kroll said:

Vague bland behind the desk statement from whoever that guy is.  Where these clubs go from here is anyones guess what a horror show. 

It tells you at the bottom of the statement who he is.

5 hours ago, Kroll said:

Vague bland behind the desk statement from whoever that guy is.  Where these clubs go from here is anyones guess what a horror show. 

Hi traffordab or whatever your name is this week.

The clubs have got zero say in what happens. At least the 'behind the desk' guy is saying SOMETHING, rather than clubs blithely going on as if it's business as usual and announcing new signings. The SFA have yet to say what happens with grassroots and semi pro, mainly because it's going to be a doom and gloom message. The pros are being allowed to train / play provided they're practically under house arrest. That is not going to work for players who have other incomes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52899339

3 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Hi traffordab or whatever your name is this week.

The clubs have got zero say in what happens. At least the 'behind the desk' guy is saying SOMETHING, rather than clubs blithely going on as if it's business as usual and announcing new signings. The SFA have yet to say what happens with grassroots and semi pro, mainly because it's going to be a doom and gloom message. The pros are being allowed to train / play provided they're practically under house arrest. That is not going to work for players who have other incomes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52899339

A good article by the BBC. Thank you.

Clubs providing their own testing machines and carrying out regular tests ?  The SFA should provide some financial support to 'non league' clubs. Likewise the SPFL needs to provide some financial support to its part time clubs (in particular).

Edited by Robert James
post sent in error before completed

27 minutes ago, pausa said:

What planet are you on when will people and clubs in non league and juniors realise next season is a write off clubs are only doing themselves damaged by not acknowledging this. 

Do you know this for certain?

That post seems to have vanished?

Anyway, it's hard to argue too much with it. Closed doors not viable so that means a delayed season at best at our level. But delayed til when? At what point does it become safe without a vaccine? People say January - but why January? It's meaningless. SFA are only allowing clubs to restart if they have players who are full-time as that reduces their social circles. And then having to commit to private tests of players and all involved twice a week. This is not going to happen at our level and it's hard to see the time coming when it is not needed without much more knowledge of the virus, or a vaccine, or the virus dying off. Herd immunity is not a thing with any other known coronavirus as far as I know.

But the science is fluid.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/coronavirus-can-herd-immunity-protect-us-from-covid-19/

3 hours ago, Robert James said:

A good article by the BBC. Thank you.

Clubs providing their own testing machines and carrying out regular tests ?  The SFA should provide some financial support to 'non league' clubs. Likewise the SPFL needs to provide some financial support to its part time clubs (in particular).

The SFA need a handout to buy Hampden. The SPFL are looking to get another handout themselves. When it gets down to a level of part time football there isn't enough money to cover testing and salaries with no gate money. The SPFL are going to do what ever they can to honour their TV contract(s) in particular, and that's about it since that's the main money generator right now.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

Unless things change quickly, guess the only questions are 1) will the players want to play and 2) will the fans want to go ? The speed the changes are being made to boost the economy, and the way the idiots reacted to 'freedom' , I think the lower level of football will be the last to return - unless someone takes a massive/stupid gamble. Gotta trust the clever folk I guess.