West of Scotland Football, What Is The Future?

3 hours ago, traffordab said:

no leadership who actually know what the west juniors is all about.

I think they know exactly what it is (? was!) about. So well run that all 63 members resigned, on the advice of their own management.

2 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Well we're not going to be classed as Professional sport (who can possibly pay for their own testing) and social distancing will be required so can't see it. It's phase 3/4 for us.

And also, no way our clubs can pay wages if supporters not allowed in. Social distancing is easy enough on the terraces if people aren't daft but things like pie huts, toilets etc... even changing rooms?

Yes you're right.

Who knows but maybe players and officials, etc, can change at home and go straight home after the game? There'd be wet kit but the games could be played. A bit like Sunday amateurs used to be. Some clubs in Australia are doing that apparently because they are desperate to get games on!

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

If you're talking about the Phase 3 side of things. How do you impose physical distancing during a football game for the players? There's been examples of professinal football players, UFC fighter, and probably athletes i'm not aware of that have tested positive within professional sport.

Take that to the non-professional side of things, how many players are risking a week to two weeks in isolation/quarantine and off work just so they can play football at the weekend. That's the financial concern. Then there's still the other concern of spreading the virus to others even if you remain healthy.

Presumably that's being taken into account by the cautious approach being proposed? This isn't going to happen under the current situation but under much improved future circumstances re the virus.

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Its not really negative to look at the entirety. Physical distancing is still social distancing by another name. Phase 3 says more live events can resume but with physical distancing still in place. Non-professional sports can't afford the constant testing that the professional leagues can to work around physical distancing concerns.

I wonder if, by then, whenever that may be, there will be free testing available from the Government(s). They'll be keen to help normal healthy outdoor pursuits won't they?

Rugby will have a problem for much longer than most activities.

Can't wait for football to return but think it will have to be when everyone gets tested,don't mind paying £20  for a test if it helps, clubs will struggle to pay for tests themselves. Try living in England seeing all the twats on the beaches etc, just spread the f-ing virus will you 😬

Tests are like MOTs - only a snapshot at that time. Heard earlier on Radio Sco people most infectious the 48 hrs before symptoms develop (if they develop at all). Players will need to be constantly tested I'd have thought to catch anyone asymptomatic?

There's a long road ahead here - but Dev's idea of putting changing rooms out of action is interesting. Maybe we can all use Darvel's? Seems big enough for 63 teams.

6 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Tests are like MOTs - only a snapshot at that time. Heard earlier on Radio Sco people most infectious the 48 hrs before symptoms develop (if they develop at all). Players will need to be constantly tested I'd have thought to catch anyone asymptomatic?

There's a long road ahead here - but Dev's idea of putting changing rooms out of action is interesting. Maybe we can all use Darvel's? Seems big enough for 63 teams.

The idea of not using changing is fine, or even trying to rotate them so only a certain number is in at a time. Things like subs don't go in and players that don't play don't go in.

But does every player drive their own car? How many in a carpool?  Are you going to need to hire two coaches to have social distancing on long distance road trips. Stupid things like that which add up.

4 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The idea of not using changing is fine, or even trying to rotate them so only a certain number is in at a time. Things like subs don't go in and players that don't play don't go in.

But does every player drive their own car? How many in a carpool?  Are you going to need to hire two coaches to have social distancing on long distance road trips. Stupid things like that which add up.

I remember going into the pavilion at Lanark back in the 00s and social distancing was a bit of a challenge - so much so that I have a horrible memory of seeing one of our players very much stripped for action in the corridor.

Not just England as witnessed in Portobello yesterday

Can't wait for football to return but think it will have to be when everyone gets tested,don't mind paying £20  for a test if it helps, clubs will struggle to pay for tests themselves. Try living in England seeing all the twats on the beaches etc, just spread the f-ing virus will you [emoji51]

It's Keef Jackson so treat with caution but it does show where we're heading I think:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scottish-football-bosses-want-special-22066962

The proposals, which will be handed over to Holyrood at the start of next week, will include a raft of special health measures including twice-weekly testing for Covid-19 as well as daily body scans at training grounds and temperature checks. But it’s still unclear how many of our 42 professional clubs will be able to afford to cover those additional costs and continue to play behind closed doors. We understand clubs from across the country’s three lower leagues have now been asked to examine the feasibility of getting the season started without fans inside their grounds. ...that has raised the potential for League One and League Two to be mothballed until such times as the turnstiles can be unlocked.

Grassroots is done until next year. I said that on here weeks ago when everyone was announcing new signings etc.

It's not being negative it's just being realistic. Anyone who has been following things closely knows grassroots football is a long way from returning.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-football/peterhead-fc/more-options-to-be-explored-before-lower-leagues-are-mothballed/?utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3ukEwGi4YBnR2AB7_ijf4KZopJB1dFoqCAKO7tY3sBsByrRSs5zMHh29A

It has been reported that Scottish football’s third and fourth tiers may be mothballed until supporters are allowed to return to stadiums.

Coronavirus means it looks like next year before crowds will be allowed inside grounds, meaning a restart initially behind closed doors is on the cards.

The Premiership look set to lead the way when it comes to a resumption with the hope that the leagues below the top flight could follow.

The Evening Express understands that currently clubs in the lower leagues are keen to investigate the financial viability of staging games behind closed doors, like those at a higher level.

With no supporters able to attend matches and clubs unable to host hospitality, the normal revenue streams for teams have been cut off as a result of the social distancing measures required to combat Covid-19.

However, there are hopes that fans may pay to watch a live stream of their team’s games from home instead, which would generate revenue for clubs.

There is an acceptance among clubs that not every team down the leagues may be able to stage games behind closed doors and for those that wouldn’t be able to it may be the case that these clubs are mothballed and don’t take part in next season.

At the moment clubs are keen to investigate how and when they can start playing again, even behind closed doors, rather than contemplate placing League One and League Two in abeyance.

With no restart date for football in Scotland set yet there is time for issues to be ironed out.

Individual clubs or leagues being mothballed is likely to cause hardship for players.

For those out of contract this summer it could be months before they get another deal and for those under contract clubs may struggle to pay their wages if football hasn’t resumed by the time the government’s furlough scheme is wound up.

Peterhead manager Jim McInally doesn’t believe behind closed doors games will work in the lower leagues.

He said: “It (clubs taking a year out) is something that makes sense to me, if they are going to try to make us play behind closed doors there’s no point in us trying to restart.

“There are issues around and it’s difficult to come up with something that suits clubs and players.

“But that is the most realistic option for me at our level – if there are no crowds then we don’t play.

“In my opinion that is a no-brainer if it gives the clubs a better chance to survive. I don’t see how that would be possible playing behind closed doors.

“There are big issues there concerning players and clubs to sort out, but it’s important to talk about it and the more they’re talking about it the better.”

Forfar Athletic update concerning part-time football:

Two of the ‘Loons’ Directors took part in a lengthy meeting of SPFL League One and Two clubs yesterday. Of course much of what was discussed is of a confidential nature, but the main thrust of the meeting was the potential for a re-start to league action at some point this year.

There is no point in kidding supporters on. This is going to be a very difficult task for clubs at our level. Although government restrictions are starting to be eased from next week, a date for the resumption of the senior game even at Premiership level in Scotland is far from being confirmed as yet.

At League One and Two level, the major stumbling block to even considering the prospect of playing behind closed doors or with a restricted crowd figure is the medical costs that clubs would have to meet under current regulations.

All management and playing staff as a minimum requirement would at present require to be individually tested for the virus twice a week even on the resumption of training. The estimated cost between £3,000/£4,000 per week.

That is before one considers the paying of wages alongside all the weekly expenditure that clubs incur.

On the flip side income streams are certain to be badly hit.

However although difficult decisions lie ahead for many clubs, the safety of all concerned has and always will be the main priority.

Going by the stages set out by the Scottish Government and the fact the decisions to move to the next stage will be dictated by the science conceivably it could take months rather than weeks to reach stage 3 or 4 and that could be anywhere 3 to 9 months away for reaching stage 3.

I really hope I am wrong but I am more and more convinced that it will be 2021 until we see football at this level back underway.

I just hope clubs can see themselves through this time.

9 hours ago, Crazy Feet said:

Grassroots is done until next year. I said that on here weeks ago when everyone was announcing new signings etc.

It's not being negative it's just being realistic. Anyone who has been following things closely knows grassroots football is a long way from returning.

Agree with this. I am amazed to see some clubs announce multiple signings. IMO they are paying months and months  of wages for nothing.

4 minutes ago, holmparkheroes said:

I suppose it depends on the contract, payment may not kick in till football restarts.

Their new contracts might only have a few months left to run before a ball is kicked or a penny is paid at the rate we're going.

Hopefully clubs have been smart enough to sign them up on 2 year contracts.