West of Scotland Football, What Is The Future?

9 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Oh that won't stop me. emoji23.png Still not over it, as you've probably seen from our Twitter this morning....

No pal, I don't do Twitter. This is the closest I get to social media. If you mentioned it on there today it is purely coincidental.

What was it again? Dodgy ref? Hippit linesman? Leaves on the park?

No pal, I don't do Twitter. This is the closest I get to social media. If you mentioned it on there today it is purely coincidental.
What was it again? Dodgy ref? Hippit linesman? Leaves on the park?
7 years ago today. We scored your goal for you with a freak own goal. Then a training ground move we'd been working on paid off for a peach of a goal by Brett Agnew, only to be denied by a howler of an offside flag. He was about 6 yards onside ! But I'm not bitter..... [emoji26][emoji1751]

41 minutes ago, glensmad said:

7 years ago today. We scored your goal for you with a freak own goal. Then a training ground move we'd been working on paid off for a peach of a goal by Brett Agnew, only to be denied by a howler of an offside flag. He was about 6 yards onside ! But I'm not bitter..... emoji26.pngemoji1751.png

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwi_kOTXpffoAhWB6-0KHdefC9wYABAAGgJkZw&sig=AOD64_2Z0MSyaBQd5Pf7LvKdpewMYfjJQg&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiSiNrXpffoAhX6TBUIHaQ3DCsQ0Qx6BAgdEAE&adurl=

Justice for his dive for the penalty in the 1st leg...[emoji846]

7 years ago today. We scored your goal for you with a freak own goal. Then a training ground move we'd been working on paid off for a peach of a goal by Brett Agnew, only to be denied by a howler of an offside flag. He was about 6 yards onside ! But I'm not bitter..... [emoji26][emoji1751]

3 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

The fact is there is going to be an influx of clubs with heavy pitches and being in the West, the weather is wetter. They all got their season finished on time before but it was a bunfight towards the end of the season. Realism needs to kick in here, rather than saying that the ex-Juniors will love having a full fixture list. Any list will be notional and grossly affected by the weather.

cecily strong snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I'm not being unrealistic in thinking it can be acheived though. This was the first year of intentionally fitting the West Region into the Senior calendar with a 30 game league season. An attempt to prove that it could be done. Not long before the shutdown Kennie did make the comparison to how the West is getting along compared to the EoS Premier and was actually ahead in terms of number of league games played.

Take out the 20 instances where West Region clubs contested a Junior Cup replay and another 15 instances where Junior Cup games were not played on the primary date of their round. Then the West Region would be even further ahead.

Its going to have teething problems. But comparing the past to the future isn't entirely fair to the variables that are about to enter into consideration. Increase number and usage of floodlights. Junior Cup losing replays and priority over league fixtures. Plus the attempt to get the season finished in unison with other leagues.

Given our displays in the last few seasons, I think Division 1 would easily be accommodated. Same as it will for the likes of Cove, Edinburgh and others who will eventually move up. The driftwood will drop out of the SPFL and find it's own level, very much the same as East Stirling and Berwick are doing now. 

TBH these arguments are a waste of time. They assume that standards don’t change over time. If we look to the English experience, most of the part-time clubs in SPFL 1/2 will be relegated from the league sometime over the next 30 years, and most will come back. Some will do this two or even three times.

Clubs from large towns will on average finish higher than those from smaller ones, so the Pyramid will provide an opportunity for them. As it will also for those teams close to Glasgow or Edinburgh who will find it easier to attract players, to the disadvantage of teams like mine. But other than 2 or 3 teams (we all know which) no team in Scotland will be permanently in the same league.

We will probably see more examples of the wealthy ‘investing' in clubs, with these eventually going wrong. So more Gretnas, and I suggest Kelty, rising to League 1 or beyond, and then falling back to a more natural level when the sugar daddies disappear.

42 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

TBH these arguments are a waste of time. They assume that standards don’t change over time. If we look to the English experience, most of the part-time clubs in SPFL 1/2 will be relegated from the league sometime over the next 30 years, and most will come back. Some will do this two or even three times.

Clubs from large towns will on average finish higher than those from smaller ones, so the Pyramid will provide an opportunity for them. As it will also for those teams close to Glasgow or Edinburgh who will find it easier to attract players, to the disadvantage of teams like mine. But other than 2 or 3 teams (we all know which) no team in Scotland will be permanently in the same league.

We will probably see more examples of the wealthy ‘investing' in clubs, with these eventually going wrong. So more Gretnas, and I suggest Kelty, rising to League 1 or beyond, and then falling back to a more natural level when the sugar daddies disappear.

Some of them, like Barnet especially, have done that but I don't see it happening in Scotland. England's a totally different kettle of fish, more money about and bigger crowds and parachute payments. It' not alle asy, Luton, Oxford, my home town club Grimsby, all took five years or more to get back into the Football League. Let's not forget too, that there are two opportunities for teams coming up out of the National League rather than the one up here after two lots of play offs. That will surely change after time.

I think a lot of the smaller SPFL clubs getting relegated, especially if they end up in the EoSL or WoSL after time, won't worry about it because of the savings they make on travelling, and possible increased gates due to lots more local derbies. The Bankies had bigger gates as a Junior club than they did in their last few seasons as a league club for exactly that reason.

Some of them, like Barnet especially, have done that but I don't see it happening in Scotland. England's a totally different kettle of fish, more money about and bigger crowds and parachute payments. It' not alle asy, Luton, Oxford, my home town club Grimsby, all took five years or more to get back into the Football League. Let's not forget too, that there are two opportunities for teams coming up out of the National League rather than the one up here after two lots of play offs. That will surely change after time.
I think a lot of the smaller SPFL clubs getting relegated, especially if they end up in the EoSL or WoSL after time, won't worry about it because of the savings they make on travelling, and possible increased gates due to lots more local derbies. The Bankies had bigger gates as a Junior club than they did in their last few seasons as a league club for exactly that reason.

Its not exactly why, we had bigger gates (home supports anyway) because we were back playing in Clydebank, not in Greenock.

22 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its not exactly why, we had bigger gates (home supports anyway) because we were back playing in Clydebank, not in Greenock.

And owners ( us ) that weren't trying to relocate or sell us on to all and sundry

On 16 April 2020 at 12:51, TFW said:

Given our displays in the last few seasons, I think Division 1 would easily be accommodated. Same as it will for the likes of Cove, Edinburgh and others who will eventually move up. The driftwood will drop out of the SPFL and find it's own level, very much the same as East Stirling and Berwick are doing now. 

There's a possible 20 clubs who could drop out of the SFL in the likes of HL/LL.

2 or 3 bad seasons in years to come and the likes of a Clyde could be playing Pollok.

10 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

There's a possible 20 clubs who could drop out of the SFL in the likes of HL/LL.

2 or 3 bad seasons in years to come and the likes of a Clyde could be playing Pollok.

Could take 40 years for this number of SPFL to drop out from Tier 4, unless the promotion opportunities for the Highland & Lowland league champions, are improved.

Hopefully, SPFL restructuring will address this issue ?

The release of fixtures is a challenging scenario. 

If you take into consideration how many teams ground shared in the old west juniors, it surely must be far higher than that of any comparable Sos, LL, HL & Eos leagues. 

Perhaps this will be a key consideration for how the 4 new divisions are formed. However, within one season that could all be up in the air and end up with a top division with at least 3 clubs ground sharing as they have no ground of their own, which I find completely unacceptable and ought to be mandated by the new league as an issue which must be addressed. 

The release of fixtures is a challenging scenario. 

If you take into consideration how many teams ground shared in the old west juniors, it surely must be far higher than that of any comparable Sos, LL, HL & Eos leagues. 

Perhaps this will be a key consideration for how the 4 new divisions are formed. However, within one season that could all be up in the air and end up with a top division with at least 3 clubs ground sharing as they have no ground of their own, which I find completely unacceptable and ought to be mandated by the new league as an issue which must be addressed. 

Will you be writing to the italian football authorities or posting on pizza and bovril asking for the milan clubs to be chucked out?
‘Completely unacceptable’ gies piece Helen Lovejoy.

Just now, glensmad said:
22 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Will you be writing to the italian football authorities or posting on pizza and bovril asking for the milan clubs to be chucked out?
‘Completely unacceptable’ gies piece Helen Lovejoy.

And Roma/Lazio.

Or the other big clubs who ground share like Queen of the South/Heston Rovers